7 Posts

Pax Baltica» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Second Play, Frustration for Sweden rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jared brown
msg tools
mb
So I love this game, really I do. I know that bad things happen, but man was this a bad game. My opponent elected to try out the Coalition and I then took the Swedes. We had both played the first scenario, we switched for this game, so equal level of experiance with the game (not much).
The first year started off with what I assume is a pretty standard opening, my Opponent rolled a 2 for 2 actions and as Sweden I automatically get a 5 for 3 actions. I moved Karl and his supporting regiments to attack Pyter (this would be 2 actions, 1 for moving the ships and 1 to unload Karl) then I sent my forces in Estland to support and give a chance for retreat. My opponent brought up some support blocks and tried a siege with the Polish and Saxony block. The battle was about a what should happen Pyter and company got beat like a step child and the second round was a brutal blood bath. My opponent was ready to throw in the towel, I pointed out to him that it was like 8 hits to 3 and I fired first and had better blocks present so with about even numbers from both sides Sweden should hit harder. He then went on to his siege, it failed I think he got 2 hits and needed 3. The next turn he got an event roll and received reinforcements. I got a single action and took a shot at Pyter who quickly ran, the extra bodies did make a difference for him. Next turn we both got a single Action and i used mine to move most of Karl and 3 regiments to attack the Polish and Saxon block and rolled a siege with my other army block. He re-arranged his russian blocks, I think it was the right move but he said he did it because he wasn't sure what else to do. Karl and company killed the polish block and sent the Saxon running. My siege was also a success, 2 hits out of four when I should have only hit once.
We messed up the interphase by forgetting the first step costs double. The next turn I moved into Russia and sent blocks into poland my opponent sent a group of Russians north into Finland and took a 1 garrison with them. Then the crap hit the fan, he rolled and event and got attrition, ok so i suffered 10 hits on ten blocks. I could deal, I moved my armies deeper into Poland and killed the Saxon block, and used Karl to siege another Russian territory.
THEN I ROLLED AN ATTRITION EVENT! I took another 10 hits, and he counter attacked my small army in Poland (I had the 2 step A2 there and it died leaving block numbers even and him with an advantage in dice) the battle went bad, I had the A2 army and the B2 army both at 2 steps and a A1 regiment at 1 step. He had the Saxon B3 and B2 blocks at full strength, I retreated both army blocks at 1 strength and lost the regiment.
Then he rolled an Attrition event and I lost 6 blocks including 3 army blocks, I ran Karl back to Livland and gathered my 2 regiments with him. After the interphase he got a 3 and i rolled a 1. He marched his massive russian army into Karl and blocked my retreats (later I realized I could have retreated to the ships) and crushed Karl. That was game, he had more blocks then me and none of mine were in position to do anything and without Karl for 4 years I had no chance of getting my position back. Random horrible luck ruined a good game, I am so frustrated right now. I mean really 3 attritions in a row?!!?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Don't send weakened units outside friendly territory if you can help it.

Use actions to rebuild steps.

Use paragraphs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spotted three rules issues in your report.

1) Saxon and Polish blocks cannot siege together (6.2).

2) Attrition cannot eliminate blocks, 1-step blocks are immune to losses from events (13.0, Important! note).

3) I'm not sure you noticed this, but you can start rolling for Karl's return from exile the very next Interphase, so it might not be four years without him.

There's no doubt luck can play a big part of how the game turns out, but it swings both ways and you should play it out if possible. Karl would not have surrendered so easily!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if I can just stop Sweden from rolling "1" on Actionswhistle

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jared brown
msg tools
mb
First off thanks for the replys. I am especially glad for the rule 13 one. Not dying from attrition would be huge. Also just as a defense of myself allblocks were full when the first attrition went off. Your also right, misread the rule on Karl's return, might have tried a bit longer if I knew that. Where did you see polish saxon siege rule? Also I do intend to edit post, it was done right after the game in a bit of a rush I wanted to hear other's thoughts more then I was worried about grammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrhappypants wrote:
Where did you see polish saxon siege rule?

(6.2) first sentence, as I mentioned above. Saxony and Poland are two separate nations.

I hope you give the game another chance. It seems to have more luck than other games, but taking a long view helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jared brown
msg tools
mb
Sorry didn't see it in the first one. I love this game, will definately play again. Just wanted to know if it was me (and it was) messing up rules that made a bad situation worse or if it really was this luck dependant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.