Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, I know, the Geek tracks games. But I don't like using it.
I prefer using my Excel file, which adds up my sessions, tracks the number of people I've played with, the number of NEW people I've played with, the number of games, the number of new games... you get the idea.

But I'm tired of doing all that by hand, and I'd like to get a simple database program to do the grunt work for me.
More: I'd like to be able to access said database using my iPhone, so that I can log in games wherever I am.

Would anyone have recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
I prefer using my Excel file, which adds up my sessions, tracks the number of people I've played with, the number of NEW people I've played with, the number of games, the number of new games... you get the idea.

But I'm tired of doing all that by hand, and I'd like to get a simple database program to do the grunt work for me.
More: I'd like to be able to access said database using my iPhone, so that I can log in games wherever I am.

What do you mean by grunt work? Whatever information you care about your still going to have to enter it by hand.
Also, I don't know about IPhone's but Android has an excellent app for tracking plays on BGG. I've only ever entered plays via the app. I thought Iphone had something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I have to type in the game's title and the names of everyone I played with.
I'd love to be able to just tap names on a list of usual players, and just tap the title of a game (if it's already in the database).
Stuff like that.

Not sure about an iPhone app. I'll have to look into it.
(The BGG apps I've seen so far were less than impressive.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
Do a Google search on "data base for iOS" Lots of interesting stuff. I particularly liked http://klanguedoc.hubpages.com/hub/Tutorial-on-Creating-an-I...

You'd need some iOS programming skills though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Right now I have to type in the game's title and the names of everyone I played with.
I'd love to be able to just tap names on a list of usual players, and just tap the title of a game (if it's already in the database).
Stuff like that.

Not sure about an iPhone app. I'll have to look into it.
(The BGG apps I've seen so far were less than impressive.)

Excel documents can be modified to include pull down menus that pull information from a range that you select. For instance you could have a page that is just game names - another page with the name of the people you play with - and another page where you fill in the information.

That way if it is a game you've already played you can just scroll down to the name of the game and select it. If it's a new game you go to the "Game Name" page and add the name (you only have to do this once).

Same with the people you've played with.

It's not a perfect solution but it works. Now just don't ask me how to do that.

Otherwise you could look at actual database programs like Microsoft Access, dBase, Quatro etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made a page similar to what you are looking for using PHP and Mysql, you can perhaps try to learn those 2 languags, they are not that hard to learn, and you will be able to acces it with any devices that can go on the internet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:

I am curious why, and your answer might help others answer your question.

Do you not like the UI? Are there specific fields that are missing? Do you not want your plays available for public viewing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
One more win...Beat the Sharks!
mbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:

The Spiel podcast had in episode 48 a description of an MS Access database built by one of the hosts to track his collection. I believe it had play logging, but don't remember for certain.

Here is the page for that episode.
http://thespiel.net/?q=node/188&page=1

That episode had a lot of requests to release that database for others to use. Because he had to remove his own personal info from it to release it for others, the download link was not given until episode 52. Even if it does not have play logging, if you use MS Access, you may be able to add it yourself.
Here is a link to the episode with the download link
http://thespiel.net/?q=node/213

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Teej Of Lockshire
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
If you just want to keep you spreadsheet get two apps..."dropbox" and "quick office pro". Dropbox basically allows you to share files between your computer and you ios device. Quick office is just an office suite with an excel program, there are other ones out there but quick office works well with drop box.

If you want to simplify the whole operation without learning a programming language. I actually recommend just picking up a book on excel and learning the "advanced features", there are ways to basically make a "form" for updating your spreadsheet. I'm not sure, however, if that would work on the ios versions of "excel."

-teej

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
the ios app interface is pretty decent. its just a click and it takes your play.

HOWEVER

you then have to go to the website to update the info.

The BGG App is in DESPERATE need of an update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Jacques
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
It's ok - I always roll this bad.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
There is another app (I'm on it now) called 'bgg' whereas the official one is BGG. This one tracks plays easily and has all the advanced data fields the site has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Jacques
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
It's ok - I always roll this bad.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Bgg mobile by a game of phones is the app info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
Spastic_Geek wrote:
If you just want to keep you spreadsheet get two apps..."dropbox" and "quick office pro". Dropbox basically allows you to share files between your computer and you ios device. Quick office is just an office suite with an excel program, there are other ones out there but quick office works well with drop box.

If you want to simplify the whole operation without learning a programming language. I actually recommend just picking up a book on excel and learning the "advanced features", there are ways to basically make a "form" for updating your spreadsheet. I'm not sure, however, if that would work on the ios versions of "excel."

-teej

Dropbox could help you with the computer iPhone issue but beware, there are some privacy/security issues with Dropbox.

On the other hand, 'yes' Excel has some pretty serious advanced features for data analysis. That might be the best route for you since you indicate you already have some familiarity with it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lexington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you already have EXCEL spreadsheets it wouldn't be hard to import them into Microsoft Access. Access is an awesome database program. You can design your own form interfaces making it easy to add information. I actually use it as a front end for SQL server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.