Popular Tags: [View All]
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The much maligned rulebook for this game has spawned a misconception as to the manner in which the turn sequence dictates what actions a player may take on their turns. I personally have no issues with the rulebook and find it as straightforward as any of my old SPI rules. Which is to say, you have to be familiar with case point presentation and avoid following every little reference link while reading.

This rulebook in particular must be read with the understanding that the first 4 pages, or cases 1-10 are all explanations of game terms and components. They present the information that is needed to make sense of the rules and combat system that follow in case 11.

The rewritten Allen rulebook, though admirable in it's intentions, exacerbates this confusion by misrepresenting the turn sequence and misstating what actions are allowable by a player on their turn. This misconception has lead to the belief that several of the examples in the rulebooks text, are wrong or poorly worded.

The game has a VERY specific conception of allowable player actions that places the burden of choice and strategy on whether and where the player chooses to move their Data Ripper. This choice will then dictate what actions the player MUST undertake along with possible alternatives.

The following correct turn sequence will be detailed based upon two important points from the rulebook.

1.)
On page 2 under case 8.0 we get the boxed statement {Refer to Chart 1.0 "Player Turn Order" to determine when specific game actions are allowed.}
This chart is fundamental to understanding how the games turn sequence flows and is not a supplemental reference or example. There are many elements of the game turn mechanic that are only explained fully in this flowchart.

2.)
The list of Turn Actions, case 8.2, is just that, a list of all possible game actions, in all possible situations. It is NOT a list of the allowable actions that a player may choose from during their turn. The phrase "may attempt one of the following" is tempered by the application of the Turn Order given in the flowchart which dictates precisely which actions from this list are allowed in which situations.

So, without further background, here is the extracted and correct turn sequence and allowable actions.

Edge City Turn Order Sequence

Free Actions

1.) Purchase Status Upgrade for 8DP (once per player turn)

2.) Attempt to regain Cool if currently unCool
- 1st attempt roll vs W7 plus modifier cards
- 2nd attempt automatic success, no roll required

3.) If unCool END Turn

Turn Actions

1.) Pass and END Turn

2.) Travel to a new Zone by paying Travel Point cost, including Zone card cost

If the new Zone is a Sprawl then the Player MUST

A.) Draw 2 Sprawl Cards minus cards already in Zone and resolve
them in strict order, cards already in Zone first then ABCD

OR

B.) Attack a Data Ripper in the same Zone via ICE or SWAT
(player does not then encounter the Green Zone cards present or
draw new cards, Yellow Zone cards are encountered after combat)

Any other Zone resolves as listed below for specific Zone

END Turn from Sprawl Zone

3.) Remain in the same Zone and Perform one required action dependent
upon current Zone

A.) Sprawl Zone

Player MUST

i.) Attack a Data Ripper in same Zone via ICE or SWAT or attack a
Data Ripper in any zone (except one with a NO ICE card present)
via ICE

OR

ii.) Attempt either a Sensitive Rip, Upgrade Rip, or Patron/Ally
Card Allowable Rip

B.) Tech Plex

Player MUST

i.) Buy Tech from Tech Deck - may also sell Tech for 1/2 cost
May NOT sell Jump Bike, Assault Taxi, or Execu-Lift

OR

ii.) Attempt Theft from Tech Deck

C.) Research Park or Business Dome

Player MUST

i.) Attempt a Sensitive, Secret, Super Secret, or Upgrade Rip

END Turn

Other Actions

1.) Use Play at anytime cards - must be played before
Player rolls the dice

2.) At end of Round, i.e. after all Player's turns, Players may
trade/sell Hardware, Software, and DP cards - No Bioware.

I hope this helps...

One other item of note, a Player who stays in a Zone without moving and attempts multiple Rips or Thefts from that location will accumulate -1R number modifiers for each turn spent stationary. Waiting a turn between Rips or Thefts and moving clears all these modifiers. These rules are boxed text on pages 7 and 8.

Edit - fixed issue described below

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can deal with SPI rules. Heck, I ENJOY reading (some) SPI rules. This one was far, far worse. Oh so many pointlessly verbose calculations with excessive variables that are really very simple. The chief offender though, is 8.2. Saying that the player "may attempt ONE of the following actions" and including travel in that list is plainly incorrect.

For the most part, these are very helpful clarifications, but the take-home message is simply to follow the flow chart. There is one error in your descriptions, though.

Quote:
2.) Travel to a new Zone by paying Travel Point cost, including Zone card cost

If the new Zone is a Sprawl then the Player MUST

A.) Draw 2 Sprawl Cards minus cards already in Zone and resolve
them in strict order, cards already in Zone first then ABCD
OR
B.) Attack a Data Ripper in the same Zone via ICE or SWAT
(player does not then encounter the Zone cards present or draw)

Emphasis mine on the underlined bit. The traveling Ripper DOES encounter any Zone cards already present. See 11.4.3, specifically the middle sentence regarding yellow shaded Zone cards. (I would also expect the Ripper to similarly encounter green Zone cards when arriving, but not passing through.) After that, the choice is whether to draw MORE Sprawl cards or to attack another character in that Sprawl Zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct yellow border cards do attack players traveling through their zone and players ending travel in that zone.

Green borders do not, and are only encountered when sprawl cards are drawn or if two cards are already present and the player does not attack another Ripper.

Note that if you do not travel then you encounter neither yellow nor green Zone cards.

So you can consider yellow to be travel hazards and green to be adventuring/encounter hazards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The list in 8.2 is a listing of all possible actions, not a list of what a player can attempt every turn. The may attempt implies selectivity.

These rules are much more straightforward then Third Reich. Those are the poster child for silly little exceptions and calculations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Zelych
msg tools
Thanks for this clarification, John. You're absolutely bang on with everything you've written. Yes, I'd only played SPI games while "growing up". Sorry for the all the apparent confusion with them. It was the best I could do at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Grant.

This has always been one of my favorite games even though it's tough to get players for it anymore.

Lots of interesting things in the design for sure. Thanks for your work on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.