1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Poll - Do You Employ a Housekeeper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in the thread about tech destroying middle class jobs, a mini debate was had on whether or not employing housekeepers is common. I am in the camp that hey are more common than most people think. So I figured, what the hell, I will create my first ever poll.

Poll
Do you employ a housekeeper
Never
Once a Month
Twice a Month
Four Times a Month
More Than 4 Times a Month
      154 answers
Poll created by Ogsponge

Just for clarification. I make about 30-40k a year and employ a housekeeper twice a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't been reading that thread. I have never hired a housekeeper and no one in my circle of family, co-workers and friends/acquaintances has either to the best of my knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
My wife has been trying to convince me to get one for a while now. I have several friends who employ one every other week or so. But I've been holding off as that is disposable income that could be used for better purposes IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used "Merry Maids" a couple of times in the past, and they did a good job, but we didn't sign up for the continuing service. However, I am now leaning towards hiring them or a similar service for a once a month cleaning. Before we do that, though, we want to give the house a really good cleaning ourselves first, so that we don't scare the new housekeeper! (My wife and I both work, and both travel some for work, and with two kids and two cats, it's tough keeping the place together!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has operated her own house house cleaning service since the 1980s, so I have a live-in professional! And let me tell you, I never need to worry about being embarrassed if someone drops by unexpectedly. My wife keeps our house immaculate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm about to. The few hours a week I will have one for is well worth it - I value my free time more than the money it will cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maia McGrath
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We have had a maid for years. (Duel income, no kids.) I work on commission so it's better for me to work an extra hour or two for the income than to spend that time cleaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like my mum, I'm one of those people that would spend more time cleaning the house before the cleaner came in order to keep up appearances than I would save by having a cleaner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
A lot of my dual-income coworkers do. My wife is stay-at-home so I insist that we don't. Plus, once when we hired somebody to help clean up a unit that we were moving out of, and I was severely underwhelmed about what I got for what we paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes I have in the past but always less than once a month. More like 4 times a year or so.

Currently I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting, I really though we would be looking at c30 to 40% of people that used a house cleaner at least once a month but apparently I was wrong!

My housekeeper works about 3 hours every 2 weeks. For me personally that 6 hours is time that I can think of a 100's of better ways to spend my time in ration to the cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't in recent years, but I did for some time.

The first was a coed who was extraordinarily diligent and careful.

I'm unsure how many since, but I learned some things:

* You need to clean before the cleaner: everything will be randomized. If you want things in any order, you better have a place to store them and move them there before the cleaner arrives. If you have a cluttered home, I'd just forget it.

* Anything delicate will be broken. If you have collections of small items on display, they better be in locked cabinets. Pro cleaners do everything as fast as possible.

* Pro cleaners use the most abrasive, corrosive products possible. It's faster. Especially your sinks are likely to get pitted. Grout will be worn down--better to clean it yourself first.

* They need watching (but they probably don't like it). They aren't too smart sometimes. I found one trying to diligently clean off the (irregular) pattern on my kitchen tile.

* Damage will happen. One cleaner stepped out of the shower with some cleanser still on her foot and damaged the floor. If you don't have cords perfectly stowed, they'll vacuum them up. A rechargeable flashlight in a socket near the floor will get hit. They'll bang the vacuum into everything--no, not all the time, every time; but often enough. Better get a base for your computer tower or move it somewhere safe.

I think they want to do a good job, but they just have to move too fast to make enough money. If you have clean rooms (like a guest room) you can seal off, do so; maybe that will give them enough time to be more careful. At least, the room won't suffer any wear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Dave wrote:
My wife is stay-at-home so I insist that we don't.
As the stay-at-home, I feel similarly, but it's not necessarily a slam-dunk and I wouldn't begrudge someone else who stayed home but still employed one. My mother-in-law, for example, threatened not to retire unless she was allowed to keep her housekeeper. If the cost is not severely burdensome and you don't enjoy cleaning but like a clean house, why wouldn't you?

I knew a guy in grad school who used a laundry service, and thought it was so cheap for the drudgery saved that he loved it. I never minded doing laundry, but he made a good case for someone with different preferences from mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

Yes I have in the past but always less than once a month. More like 4 times a year or so.

Yea, why didn't you include a "less than once a month" option in your poll? Excluding such a broad category from a poll seems a pretty major oversight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got into high school and i was just me and my two younger brothers in the house, my mom hired a girl at church to come over and clean a couple days a week. My Mom is usually great at keeping the house clean and we did have some chores, but it seemed like we hit a situation where Mom was helping Dad in the business more, I was running ragged with school, homework and sports and clubs and scouts and and and...My brothers were in similar situations. Also, I think it was sort of a favor to the girl, she needed money for something and she was a family friend.

As an adult, when I was in Brazil I hired a lady to do my laundry for a few months, mostly because I was guilted into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
My wife has operated her own house house cleaning service since the 1980s, so I have a live-in professional! And let me tell you, I never need to worry about being embarrassed if someone drops by unexpectedly. My wife keeps our house immaculate.

My wife keeps our house like that as well. I always joke that we could put our house on the market with an open house in less than an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Yea, why didn't you include a "less than once a month" option in your poll? Excluding such a broad category from a poll seems a pretty major oversight.

Hey it was 1st poll, get of my dilznick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hire a housekeeper"? Why hire one when you can marry one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
rinelk wrote:
If the cost is not severely burdensome and you don't enjoy cleaning but like a clean house, why wouldn't you?

I feel kinda funny about hiring someone to clean my house. I feel odd enough living in an area where the HOA hires a landscaping company to do the external work. I'd rather find another way to put my money into the economy. Also, there's probably something puritanical in me that fights against delegating housework to someone else; it seems like something you should just take care of yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't, though we could afford one. My wife has actually interviewed three, each was hired, but then each flaked out before the first visit. We took that as an omen. My mother has had cleaners for many years, and at least the ones she's had have done something more akin to light tidying than actual cleaning.

Also, I have philosophical objections. Part of life is cleaning up one's own filth. My small kids already do simple chores. They have no idea about the quantity of scrubbery that awaits them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
China
Guangzhou
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried one once. We fired him within the first month, never again. When either me or my wife clean we do a good job, of course we have high standards (the comment about being able to run an open house within an hour probably fits for us).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Dave wrote:
rinelk wrote:
If the cost is not severely burdensome and you don't enjoy cleaning but like a clean house, why wouldn't you?

I feel kinda funny about hiring someone to clean my house. I feel odd enough living in an area where the HOA hires a landscaping company to do the external work. I'd rather find another way to put my money into the economy. Also, there's probably something puritanical in me that fights against delegating housework to someone else; it seems like something you should just take care of yourself.

My strategy for dealing with that streak (which I also have) is to set other guilt against it. If cleaning my house took me a while and made me grumpy, I would be less available to help with other things and less pleasant to be around. Those are genuine burdens to place on them, while the benefit of avoiding the guilt that that puritanical streak would cause is mine alone. So there's something selfish about cleaning if you hate it and can afford not to.

There's a reason philosophers have a reputation for sophistry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A clean house? What a strange and alien concept.

I couldn't imagine paying anyone to clean. If I had the money I'd pay someone to pick up and organize the clutter in the house. It would be awesome to have the layers of detritus composed of books, papers and other brickabrack all organized and put away, but the only way to make sense of all of that would mean having a live-in servant, which means making so much money you could afford to pay someone at least $40k a year to deal with laziness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
rinelk wrote:

Back when I was working an average of 60 hours a week at a high stress job and shouldering other life responsibilities on top of it, having somebody come in and do my "heavy scrubbing" several times a year was well worth the money and I felt no guilt. If it hadn't been for my mother's objections I would have had them over more often.

I paid well and usually tipped them above what they asked for.

I never used Merry Maids or similar services because you pay more and the maids get less plus they "Hurry" rather than worry about quality.

I always asked around and found people who took personal pride in doing these jobs and enjoyed their work. We would develop casual friendships over the years in addition to a professional relationship. It became a great Win-Win. And I would happily recommend them to people who needed service more frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maia_ann wrote:
We have had a maid for years. (Duel income, no kids.)

Do you use these or similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.