Subject: Difference between "trash" and "discard"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Otto Sit
United States
Rowland Heights
California
flag msg tools
It says in the rulebook that trash and discard are two different concepts, however it doesn't clarify which one is facedown and which one is faceup?

Or do we just follow the rule where if the runner doesn't see the card, then you discard/trash facedown; otherwise it's discarded/trashed faceup?

Actually, I'm just really confused...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
ottosit wrote:
It says in the rulebook that trash and discard are two different concepts, however it doesn't clarify which one is facedown and which one is faceup?

Or do we just follow the rule where if the runner doesn't see the card, then you discard/trash facedown; otherwise it's discarded/trashed faceup?

Actually, I'm just really confused...

If it's exposed to the runner at the time it's trashed, it goes faceup. Otherwise, it goes face down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty much it. If you put a card from your hand or an unrezzed card from your play area into the archives you discard it face down. If it is a card that the Runner trashes or a rezzed card from your play area that you put into your archives, it is trashed face up.

EDIT--Asmor's explanation is simpler and better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsaken One
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Essentially you only place a card into your trash pile face up if the runner has seen it. Other than that, the main difference is that discarding wouldn't set off any 'when trashed' effects which currently, or will, exist.

At the moment, I think the only thing that makes someone discard is at the end of the turn if you're above your hand size, and when the Runner takes damage. These aren't trash effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Searfoss
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trashing is the act of a card being discarded from hand or play by a game effect. There are triggers and abilities that can prevent or alter trashing.

Discarding is just discarding, usually from your hand being over-full. There is, to my knowledge, nothing that prevents or alters discarding.

It's mostly semantics, but it does matter for rules consistency.

As for Archives: It doesn't matter if something is trashed or discarded as far as if it goes to Archives face-up or -down. The qualifier there is whether or not the runner knows what that card is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding only occurs at the end of the turn, when going down to your maximum hand size. Everything else in the game that causes cards to leave play is considered trashing.

A card leaving play because its host is trashed is also trashed. Even when taking damage as the Runner and losing cards; these are trashed and not discarded. Don't think of discarding as referring to the origin of the card in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
single doubt wrote:
As for Archives: It doesn't matter if something is trashed or discarded as far as if it goes to Archives face-up or -down. The qualifier there is whether or not the runner knows what that card is.

Not technically correct; it is based on the state the card is in when it goes to the archives:
Android: Netrunner Rulebook p. 13 wrote:
When installing a card in a server, the Corporation can first trash any cards already installed in that server. Trashed cards go to Archives faceup if they are rezzed, and facedown if they are unrezzed.

So even if the runner knows what the card is because of accessing or exposing, the corp still discards it face down if it was unrezzed.
If the runner pays the trash cost when accessing then it would go face up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thee Forsaken One wrote:
Essentially you only place a card into your trash pile face up if the runner has seen it.

Not entirely accurate. It's only if they can see it as it's discarded/trashed.

E.g. Noise runs on R&D, leaves the card there so he now knows what the top card of R&D is. He then plays a virus, forcing that card to be discarded; the card is discarded face down since it is not currently exposed to the runner.

Then Noise runs on R&D again and hits a Melange Mining Corporation. He pays 1 to trash it. It's trashed face up, since the runner saw it as it was being trashed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.