Wiz-War (eighth edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Negate neutral and double Pain link rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmb
Hi everybody!
A couple of issues arose during my latest games, and I hope some of you could help me in solving the troubles! So, with order:
a) a rival wizard cast Brain burn on me, and I answered with a Pain Link
Question: was it legal for him playing a Pain Link on my Pain Link?
b) second question: Fireball cast. Pain link played in response. Was it legal to play Negate Neutral to cancel the Pain link? Or does Pain Link count as Neutral spell when cast during the caster's turn, and when played as counterspell is it considered as having only the violet icon?
Thanks a lot for help

JULIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Hi everybody!
A couple of issues arose during my latest games, and I hope some of you could help me in solving the troubles! So, with order:
a) a rival wizard casted Brain burn on me, and I answered with a Pain Link
Question: was it legal for him playing a Pain Link on my Pain Link?
b) second question: Fireball casted. Pain link played in response. Was it legal to play Negate Neutral to cancel the Pain link? Or does Pain Link count as Neutral spell when cast during the caster's turn, and when played as counterspell is it considered as having only the violet icon?
Thanks a lot for help

JULIA

For (B) I would say that you are not able to negate nuetral with Pain link when it is cast as a counter spell. I believe, as you suggested, that Pain Link is only a nuetral spell when it is cast on the caster's turn.

For (A) I would answer no. But I can not think of an argument as to why right now. Too early in the morning and not enough coffee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Littlefield
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(A) I'm pretty sure you can play pain link on a pain link. I think I remember reading a different thread on that topic. I would allow it on my game.

(B) Since painlink is being played as a counter I wouldn't allow the negate neutral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmb
Thank you to both of you. So, we all agree on the cancel neutral issue :-)
I didn't consider looking in the FAQ (didn't know there was a released FAQ, though, my bad), but it's specified here:

"Q. Some cards have more than one type (e.g., counter and neutral). What type of card are they counted as?
A. Cards are only counted as the one type of card they are used as. For example, “Pain Link” cast as a counter is considered a counter for its entire duration, not a neutral spell. “Pain Link” cast as a neutral spell is only a neutral spell, not a counter"

As for the other issue... it's still pretty confusing. But the memory of Dillon of a similar thread is helpful (thx): I'm gonna search for it and read all the comments there :-)

Thx again guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD GMD
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys!
A) I don´t think so. Pain link isn´t an attack so neither trigger the other pain link ("when being attacked" trigger) nor can be its damage reflected by the other pain link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ogid wrote:
Hi guys!
A) I don´t think so. Pain link isn´t an attack so neither trigger the other pain link ("when being attacked" trigger) nor can be its damage reflected by the other pain link.

Hi Ogid! I've just seen your answer on the FFG forum :-) Didn't know you were on the Geek as well :-) Thanks for help. After reading carefully the card, I believe you're right. The Pain Link is not an attack, hence no way to trigger a counterspell. Plus, as you stated on the FFG, if two wizards had each a mantained Pain Link and the Links were allowed to chain, hence it'll loop until one of the Wizards is dead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.