6 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confused About Reshuffling For New Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter A
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm not entirely certain about how some cards interact with the deck and whether or not I need to reshuffle my discard for a deck or not.

a) Thief card (Base Set, Action-Attack). I assume that for this one I need to reshuffle if I have an empty deck because I am required to reveal cards to everybody and it would be sneaky to avoid an attack like this.

b) Survivors card (Dark Ages, Action-Ruins). This one says to look at the top two cards of my deck. However, if I only have one card in my deck, and I supposed to only look at that one and choose to discard or not or am I supposed to shuffle my discard pile?

c) Pearl Diver (Seaside, Action). Suppose the +1 Card from Pearl Diver nets me my last card in my deck. For the "Look at the Bottom of Your Deck" Effect, do I reshuffle or am I "looking" at the "bottom card" of my empty deck?

Dominion FAQ wasn't quite clear because it said "You might also need a card from your deck if you must reveal or look at a card from it." Key words being: "you MIGHT".

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need a card and you're out of cards you shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you need to look at cards in your deck, and there aren't enough cards, and you have cards in the discard pile, you reshuffle. So in all of the cases you give, you would reshuffle. For the Survivors, you would look at the one card you have, and then immediately reshuffle in order to draw a second one to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that cards you have played are not thrown on the discard pile immediately, so these are not reshuffled until the cleanup step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trystero49 wrote:
a) Thief card (Base Set, Action-Attack). I assume that for this one I need to reshuffle if I have an empty deck because I am required to reveal cards to everybody and it would be sneaky to avoid an attack like this.

Shuffle your discard pile to form a new deck and reveal the top two cards of your new deck.

Quote:
b) Survivors card (Dark Ages, Action-Ruins). This one says to look at the top two cards of my deck. However, if I only have one card in my deck, and I supposed to only look at that one and choose to discard or not or am I supposed to shuffle my discard pile?

Set aside the one card you have left in your deck, shuffle your discard pile to form a new deck. The top card of your new deck and the card you set aside are the two cards you look at.

Quote:
c) Pearl Diver (Seaside, Action). Suppose the +1 Card from Pearl Diver nets me my last card in my deck. For the "Look at the Bottom of Your Deck" Effect, do I reshuffle or am I "looking" at the "bottom card" of my empty deck?

Draw the last card of your deck. Shuffle your discard pile to form a new deck, and then look at the bottom card of the new deck.

Quote:
Dominion FAQ wasn't quite clear because it said "You might also need a card from your deck if you must reveal or look at a card from it." Key words being: "you MIGHT".

Note that this sentence also contains the word "must." If you are directed to look at or reveal a card from your deck, you must do so, if able. And if you don't have enough cards in your deck, you must shuffle your discard pile, if able, to make a new deck so that you can complete the action. The reason it says "might" is that revealing or looking at cards on top of your deck are not the only reason that you would shuffle to make a new deck. The primary reason you make a new deck is that you need to draw cards from your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter A
Canada
flag msg tools
I see. Thank you for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.