Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my wife and I just got into LoTR a few days ago. We've been having a good time with it, but I can see where the starter decks won't serve us well going forward. We have the entire Mirkwood cycle except for Return to Mirkwood, so we'll be digging into more cards and more difficult adventures soon.

The problem is, we don't really have any history customizing decks. I mean, I played MtG quite a bit, but that was at least 15 years ago now. My wife has less experience than that.

I've looked around for basic strategies for building decks, but have come up short. Can someone point me to resources that might help a couple of newbies get started? Or, does anyone have advice for beginners that they'd be willing to offer up? I don't really even know what to ask, specifically. It seems kind of overwhelming right now.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Frizzell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am still a beginner myself, I can't recommend the following two resources enough:

Tales from the Cards has an amazing Deck-Building 101 series. The site is packed with resources.

Hall of Beorn likewise has a series (in progress) of articles on Deck Building.

Both sites start their tutorials with the idea that all you have is a single core set. I believe they both have plans to move on from there, but they are both an amazing starting point and I can't give them a high enough recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjasan8 wrote:
While I am still a beginner myself, I can't recommend the following two resources enough:

Tales from the Cards has an amazing Deck-Building 101 series. The site is packed with resources.

Both sites start their tutorials with the idea that all you have is a single core set. I believe they both have plans to move on from there, but they are both an amazing starting point and I can't give them a high enough recommendation.

Oh, so we're allowed to look for this kind of stuff on sites OTHER than BGG? Nobody ever told me that.

Thanks a ton for those links! Those will be very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Use Gandalf.

He is cheesy goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
Oh, so we're allowed to look for this kind of stuff on sites OTHER than BGG? Nobody ever told me that.

Who knew!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Frizzell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
ninjasan8 wrote:

Thanks a ton for those links! Those will be very helpful!

If only it happened more often than it does...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote on this once:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/805108/deck-building-princip...

And a general piece of (maybe obvious) advice: pay attention as you play. Do you have a card in your deck you are always happy to discard and almost never play? Take it out. Is there a card, or card effect (like, for example, a high will ally) that you're always hoping to draw next turn? Put more of those in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.