stealth device 3 points
46 points total

Backstabber/ tie fighter 16 points
shield upgrade 4 points
20 points total

Mauler Mithel/ tie fighter/ 17 points
sheild upgrade 4 points
21 points total

obsidian squadron piolt/ tie fighter 13 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Verhelst
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be afraid of a Tie swarm with only 2 ships I think. That said, I haven't tried it. I should since I actually have a Falcon (won the Kessel run event).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
2 Rebel ships is not going to be enough. You will, at some point, face a Rebel opponent with three or four missiles, which will thoroughly shred Han; now it's the second or third round of engagement, and you're down 63 points and outnumbered 4-1.

Even a traditional TIE swarm of 6-7 ships gives you trouble, and I think 4-5 Interceptors would be a problem as well. Your attacks are good with both ships, but there are only two; you can put a max of eight attack dice on the table each round, and any Imperial list is going to start at 12 and go up from there. You just don't have enough offensive options.

The Krassis list is better, but I don't think the Stealth Device is good enough running on 2 base Agility. On 3 Agility, though, it's a better choice: I would swap it in for your Shield Upgrades on the named TIEs. That leaves 5 points of upgrades to distribute across the TIEs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:

The Krassis list is better, but I don't think the Stealth Device is good enough running on 2 base Agility. On 3 Agility, though, it's a better choice: I would swap it in for your Shield Upgrades on the named TIEs. That leaves 5 points of upgrades to distribute across the TIEs.

I think the best use of those 5 points would be to swap out Backstabber and Mauler Mithel for two TIE Interceptor pilots. They have the same stats except Interceptors don't have to work hard (e.g. get behind an opponent or into Range 1) to get those extra attack dice.

*edit* Oh, and they get Boost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Vorpal Sword wrote:

I think the best use of those 5 points would be to swap out Backstabber and Mauler Mithel for two TIE Interceptor pilots. They have the same stats except Interceptors don't have to work hard (e.g. get behind an opponent or into Range 1) to get those extra attack dice.

And far more Green Maneuvers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
Vorpal Sword wrote:

So did backstabber become obsolete?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jace The Mind Sculptor
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Backstabber and Mauler have not been rendered obsolete. Their higher pilot skills are still relevant. Those 2 interceptors will be acting at PS1, meaning move first, shoot last and minimal info for proper action selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnsibleTheta wrote:
Backstabber and Mauler have not been rendered obsolete. Their higher pilot skills are still relevant. Those 2 interceptors will be acting at PS1, meaning move first, shoot last and minimal info for proper action selection.

Also, Backstabber (without upgrades) is cheaper than any TIE Interceptor, so if you have 16 points left to spend on a ship, he's often a good choice.

Personally, I've found it easier to make Backstabber's ability relevant than it is to make Mauler's relevant - but I often use both (in wave 1 tournament-style matches). Backstabber can often use 3 attack dice and occasionally gets 4, while Mauler never gets 3 and occasionally gets 4 (albeit easier than Backstabber gets 4). Also, in my experience, opponents seem more likely to focus on Mauler and ignore Backstabber when both are on the table. However, Mauler can use an Elite Talent (aka "medal upgrade")... but then you're spending more points, making it even harder to justify Mauler (at > 17 pts) over Backstabber (16 pts) or simply an Alpha Squadron Pilot (18 pts).

For more ramblings regarding the relative value of Backstabber in wave 2, see here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blair46 wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
Vorpal Sword wrote:

So did backstabber become obsolete?

It's an interesting question. I think the answer is "well, sort of, yea" with some follow-up caveats about how Backstabber has a higher pilot skill and is two points cheaper than an Alpha Squadron pilot. Does that make up for having a far more restrictive maneuver wheel, no Boost, and a far more situational bonus attack die? In some builds, I suppose, but I personally find it harder to find a place for Backstabber in my Wave 2 builds, while he featured heavily in my Wave 1 squads.

But that's what is so great about the squad-building aspect of this game and all of the different preferences of player styles and strategies. There's a heavily-responded to thread on FFG about "Wave 2 Insights" or something, and I found it amusing just how many points discussed there I personally disagreed with based on my own proxying experiences with Wave 2 so far. The lack of mono-lists and mono-strategies is a huge strength of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.