Stephen Hall
United States
flag msg tools
About 6 months ago, I posted a successful thread called "Ten Tested Teaching Tips to Try" (link below), and I have been wanting to post a follow up thread with more tips for teaching games! Hopefully you can get something out of them!

Part 1 - Ten Tested Teaching Tips to Try
Part 3 - Two More Tested Teaching Tips to Try

11) Know your audience. This seems obvious, but, if the most complex game your group has played is Qwirkle, maybe shy away from some of the 6-hour monstrosities. (Thanks to the commenters for this one.)

12) Don't just explain a rule, tell them why. One time, I was explaining Dominion, and the newbie didn't understand why you would want to trash a card. Once I explained to him that trashing copper means you'll get your better cards that much more, he understood. Just explaining the how sometimes isn't enough, you have to explain the why. Speaking of which...

13) Give some ideas for basic strategies. So your group now understands the rules rule of Blokus, but do they know that building towards the middle often pays off? It can be hard for a new player to understand gameplay enough to develop a strategy without having played. In other words, it's one thing to know the rules, it's another thing to know the game. Make sure the players understand both, at least enough to get moving.

14) Repeat things. We've all had that instance where someone complains that "you didn't tell me that rule," when you really did. To avoid this, as you're explaining the game, repeat important points.

15) If possible, have the game set up before you begin to teach, instead of teaching as you set up. Visual learners will benefit from seeing the board completely set and ready for play.

16) It's okay to give newbies a little help in-game. Some of you who play for blood may disagree, and that's fine, but, in a game like 7 Wonders, I usually show my hand to the newbies, and, as mentioned above, show them what I'm doing and why. Some of you might be saying that this gives them an unfair advantage, but 1) in my group, we don't play for blood (much), and 2) odds are, the people who see my hand wouldn't even know how to cheat because they're still trying to figure out how to play in the first place.

17) Play dumb when necessary. My favorite game is Betrayal at House on the Hill. I've played it so much that I've seen every scenario, many multiple times. As such, whether I'm a Hero or the Traitor, I generally know what my opponents are up to, even though I'm not supposed to. If I'm a Hero, I usually have a good sense of the Traitor's win condition, but I don't tell them to my fellow Heroes. I try my best to play as if I don't know anything I'm not supposed to. It makes the game more fair, fun, and, in Betrayal's case at least, thematic.

That's all for now! Feel free to add your own, disagree with any of the above, or whatever!

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.