Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Jacobsen
Denmark
Odense
Denmark (DK)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet, but have read the rules, because I have to play it tomorrow (so kind a hope for a quick answer here )

I have two questions about allies

1) If you have an odd number of player, one player will always be without allies?

2) Several times the rulebook says "multiple allies". But how is that possible, if you always have to choose an un-allied token for Proposal Box A and B?

Best regards,
Skeloboy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Skeloboy wrote:
I haven't played the game yet, but have read the rules, because I have to play it tomorrow (so kind a hope for a quick answer here )

I have two questions about allies

1) If you have an odd number of player, one player will always be without allies?

2) Several times the rulebook says "multiple allies". But how is that possible, if you always have to choose an un-allied token for Proposal Box A and B?

Best regards,
Skeloboy

There are essentially two teams, the A team and the B team, for each epoch. You are likely to have multiple allies and are guaranteed to have such if there are at least 6 players (so 3 on each team) at the table.

I say "team" lightheartedly. You are not allies in any meaningful way. What it means is:

1. You cannot attack each other.
2. You can help each other in a battle.

But there is certainly no expectation that you're working for the same goals. For instance, this help might come for the price of a large pile of gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:

I say "team" lightheartedly. You are not allies in any meaningful way. What it means is:

1. You cannot attack each other.
2. You can help each other in a battle.

But there is certainly no expectation that you're working for the same goals. For instance, this help might come for the price of a large pile of gold.

Also be aware that a player might be "forced" into an alliance simply because of the bidding step. Even though you might be "allies" with the other players, it doesn't mean you have to help them. Usually players are forced into an alliances because the other player that outbid you wants to keep you in their alliance to prevent you from attacking them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer
Our group favours a 5 player game precisely because the alliances will be 3/2, which adds extra tension to the auctions.
(A seven player game unfortunately suffers from a shortage of improvement tiles during the final war).

I also think that allying with the worst threat is better than joining up with a useful friend, because your friends won't attack you, right? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jacobsen
Denmark
Odense
Denmark (DK)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, of course!

I totally missed that yesterday, when reading. When you choose for Proposal A and B, you actually choose your enemies, and you're allied with all the players in the top or bottom row

misteralan wrote:

I also think that allying with the worst threat is better than joining up with a useful friend, because your friends won't attack you, right? whistle

I will keep that in mind

Thx for the replies. The players arrive in 10 minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jacobsen
Denmark
Odense
Denmark (DK)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We only played three players, and I can't wait to try it again with 5 players

I have one more questionb, though:

Do you get +1 for each Naval Unit in a land combat, or just +1 if you won the Naval COmbat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Naval Support
Skeloboy wrote:
Do you get +1 for each Naval Unit in a land combat, or just +1 if you won the Naval COmbat?

You get +1 if you win the Naval Combat (or if an opponent refuses or cannot contest it), but additional Naval Units don't increase this. You should also note you get the +1 even if all you Navies were sunk in the victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.