Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Girard
United States
Morrisonville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have $100 dollars to start Dust Tactics.
How would you spend this money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can dig up a copy of the original big box starter it is great value for money, you could go halves with a friend if you were after a particular force of either Axis or Allies.
The rules would be a little dated but you can download the full rules from FFG.

If you were after SSU specifically, I'd recommend 2 x Frontoviki, 1 Commissar squad and a heavy tank.
You could probably fit a command squad in there also for the price and that gives you a solid 200 point tactics SSU force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't watched Marco's expansion review (http://boardgamegeek.com/video/21274/dust-tactics-revised-co...) it's a great place to start. He divides up expansions by price and what goes well together.

(Edit: Couldn't get video link to display correctly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will not likely find an original set, and certainly not for $100...

Luckily the Revised Core is still an amazing value.

My suggestion...

- Revised Core Starter (Around $55 online)
- Kommandtroup + The Boss (each gives you a command squad for the two sides, and will run you about $12 each online)

IF you can spend a little extra, the next purchases beyond that should be (IMO)

- Grim Reapers for Allies and Zombies for Axis to even out the original set
- A Medium Walker for each side

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Girard
United States
Morrisonville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
You will not likely find an original set, and certainly not for $100...

Luckily the Revised Core is still an amazing value.

My suggestion...

- Revised Core Starter (Around $55 online)
- Kommandtroup + The Boss (each gives you a command squad for the two sides, and will run you about $12 each online)

IF you can spend a little extra, the next purchases beyond that should be (IMO)

- Grim Reapers for Allies and Zombies for Axis to even out the original set
- A Medium Walker for each side

miniaturemarket = 123.29

coolstuffinc.com = 124.93

I think this is what I am going to do. Extra dice would be nice too but I cant seem to find them.

My question is is the above better then the core set or just as good (i.e. revised, commandx2, med walkersx2, zombies+reapers)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the Original Core is a better VALUE, monetarily, but the stuff you would be getting makes for a better balanced game experience, early in your Dust hobby, life. It also gives you units that will be even more invaluable if/when you move up to Dust Warfare.

Honestly though, the stuff you have in your cart right there offers a LOT of value, but as you play, and probably love the game, you'll probably sneak a steady drip-feed of expansions into your game. Campaign expansions, btw, are a good value and add a lot of life.

Some like Operation Cerberus add great missions to play, and an AWESOME set of 3d building terrain to your game.

Snipers/Recon are also a fun addition to each side, btw.

As for Dice... don't bother. The whole system is built on 33% chance to hit dice.... so any D6 is fine. Decide 5 or 6 are hits, and you're set for life, dice-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a whole lot of original starter boxes going cheap a couple of months back, they were French copies I think but for the amount of stuff you would get it was still well worth the price, it was even cheaper with shipping than what I paid for at my FLGS.

As for a better balanced game experience, I do not agree there. The two starter forces in the revised core do give you a proper feel of what the forces are like play-style wise, but I think the Axis units far outweigh (Outperform)the Allied ones.
The original set almost mirrored the Allies and Axis with the exception of the character and a single squad.

Do you have a particular preference on what faction you will play?

I would put the Grim Reapers / Zombies over the command squads - command squads are kinda random with their abilities and costly, before I would always take them but now I'm really uncertain, and probably would take another squad instead.
(I'm really on the fence about them, I take them for my SSU because my SSU are always outnumbered but a second activation on a heavy tank = sheer awesome and much better than another squad)

If you can, add Heavy Recon Grenadiers and Tank Busters also - two really great squads.
Heavy Recon kick out a ridiculous amount of firepower, and Tank Busters give you reliable damage against armour and very maneuverable troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.