Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now available for download from the "Files" section is heX-Wing. What is hex_Wing? heX-Wing is a simple conversion to allow Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures to be played on a hex-grid.

Yes, someone else already did some sort of hex thing, but heX-Wing is different in so many ways that it is completely new because basically heX-Wing is a direct translation from tabletop to a hex grid (noted in document). Even though the table tabletop is based on 45 degrees, and hexes are 60 degrees, the results have been very good, and in some cases, better.

Why heX-Wing? Well, because of the Fudge Factors, Bump Benefits, Tweak Tendencies, and other error inducing factors, I feel that some gamers might enjoy playing Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures in a more structured and controlled environment using hexes on a hex grid map. With a hex grid map, there is no fussing about. Ships are clearly in or out of range/arc and players do not have to worry about maneuver template slippage/mishaps, and/or trying to place a ship back exactly where it was before being accidentally bumped or nudged – which happens a lot.

As for a playing surface, there are available many suitable hex mats, but players can also easily make a hex grid on their own using a hex template and a flat surface. That surface can be board, wood, paper, plastic, cloth, or something else. I prefer black cloth with white or light-gray hex lines or points, which can be made using fabric markers or something similar. I suppose someone can even use a silver permanent maker.

More details are available in the easy to read three-page documentation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent variant. Thank you for efforts.

The legacy of hex-based Star Wars fighter combat, Star Warriors, continues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What size of map do you recommend when using . . .

2-inch wide hexes?

3-inch wide hexes?

4-inch wide hexes?

Is a Star Wars X-Wing tournament-specified 36" x 36" map large enough to accommodate 3-inch wide and 4-inch wide hexes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
owenmp wrote:

2-inch wide hexes?

3-inch wide hexes?

4-inch wide hexes?

Is a Star Wars X-Wing tournament-specified 36" x 36" map large enough to accommodate 3-inch wide and 4-inch wide hexes?

With hexes, you don't care about the size of the playing area, just the number of hexes the playing are will be. The actual hex map will be big or small depending on how big or small you make your hexes on the map.

For the scenarios in the base rule book, you have about eighteen hexes from one edge to another, which is about three range rulers. If your hexes are 1" (too small I think), then those 18 hexes will take up 18". If your hexes are 3" then those 18 hexes will take up 54".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
owenmp wrote:

2-inch wide hexes?

Definitely 2" seems to work well for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.