Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Behold the next generation. My nephews and my 3 year old...playing D&D* *sniff*

*And I didn't even introduce them to it. Completely organic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ya know, I miss my old D&D days.

Of course, that was back when THACO ruled. And we didn't have furniture - we sat on rocks in caves. And not GOOD caves, either, but damp, clammy, moss-on-the-walls caves.

And we LIKED it!

(in all seriousness, it's interesting to me to note the differences between my table back then, and the table there. We had a big battlemat set in the middle of the table, with pens ready to draw in the dungeon walls, and a lot of graph paper (for dungeons) or hex paper (for overland travel) handy to map the unknown as we explored. No computer obviously - but minis scattered around the edges, and dice all over the place... Still, the core element - fun! - looks alive and well!)

edit - and I note, they look a whole lot more organized than we ever were!

edit2: Later, we got fancy, and had Jenga blocks all over the battlemat that we could use to depict walls - cleaner than having to draw on/erase the battlemat continually, and made us feel cool by adding a 3d look to the table with the minis and walls. Ah, those were the days!

edit3: of course, we were all poor high school students, so our mini selection was limited. Mostly we had a few mini's for the PC, and a couple of monster minis, and scraps of paper or spare ugly dice no one wanted to roll to use for the monsters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
Of course, that was back when THACO ruled. And we didn't have furniture - we sat on rocks in caves. And not GOOD caves, either, but damp, clammy, moss-on-the-walls caves.

And we LIKED it!
We used to play on the bus going home from school. No minis, and only one set of dice between us. Mostly the DM (the only person with any of the books also) made it up as we went along.

That was back when a dwarf had CLASS (and was one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awww... how wonderful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The hardest part of becoming a self-made man has got to be creating your own DNA sequences.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
ya know, I miss my old D&D days.

And we LIKED it!

Oh, we used to *dream* of playing in a cave; it would have been a palace to us. There were 250 of us crammed into a shoebox in the middle of the road. We had to prick our fingers for drops of blood to use as pips on the chunks of pavement we used as dice.

Seriously, we never heard of THAC0 when I played back in college. There were a half-dozen of us and we all had our white boxed set of the three tan chapbooks (Men & Magic, Monsters & Treasure, and Underworld and Wilderness Adventures), plus the Greyhawk, Blackmoor, and Eldritch Wizardry booklets crammed in. We even used the Outdoor Survival map like the booklets suggested.

My first DM when I started playing in the fall of '77 was named Roger Kidson, and he had learned the game when it was a chapter in the back of the CHAINMAIL rule book.

We found an unused room in our dorm basement, and there was a green chalkboard that had been unmounted from its roll-around frame. We laid that down on the table and -- depending on the scale -- either used chalk to draw the rooms and corridors of the dungeon, or set up dominoes. For large scale a domino laid on its side was a "standard 10' section" and one standing on end was a door. We had some small object (I forget what) as a marker for the party's location and kept our little pewter figures lined up in "party formation" over in a corner of the blackboard.

When a battle with a monster was in the offing, the DM would use the chalk to draw a larger, more detailed section of the room, etc. over to one side, and we would "party up" by placing our figures in their relative locations. Melee would ensue, we would loot the room, then head back out to the hallway to continue our exploration, and switch back to using the dominoes.

I remember when AD&D first came out in late 1978 we all swore we would never switch over, but I was out of school for the fall semester of '79 (earning the money to return) and when I got back they had all switched. I tried it, but lost interest in the new version of the game as I viewed it as less flexible than the original. I haven't tried any iteration of AD&D since.

(Edited for clarification.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome. I miss those days too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a board. And table. And electronic gizmo.

That's not D&D.

For D&D, you sit around the living room and have someone roll dice for you and don't have any little pieces parts other than dice (and a DM with a pencil and paper).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

That's not D&D.

For D&D, you sit around the living room and have someone roll dice for you and don't have any little pieces parts other than dice (and a DM with a pencil and paper).

That is only in effect if you are 42 or older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I was going to tip you a dollar in geekgold, but then realized, what would be the point?

Like sending change to reduce the deficit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
cry I miss RPGs. But with two careers and innumerable other hobbies, there's no way in Hell I could devote the time I used to towards DM'ing. I'm still porting around all my AD&D, White Wolf and Shadowrun books, strangely. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So......who was the Dungeon Master?

You or him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
So......who was the Dungeon Master?

You or him?

I wasn't even there! My 15 year old nephew was the DM, and sounds like doing a great job. I was about the same age when I was doing D&D full steam. Was also the age I would do marathon sessions.

This nephew is also the one who is getting into gaming. At Christmas I was visiting, and he pulled out this game and said "Hey, Uncle Mike, have you ever heard of Dominion?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The hardest part of becoming a self-made man has got to be creating your own DNA sequences.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

That's not D&D.

That is only in effect if you are 42 or older.

I'm 55 and we always rolled our own dice, thank you.

The DM always rolled for monster saving throws, monster initiative, NPC morale checks, "stranger the party met in the local bar" reaction checks, and so forth. Pretty much anything having to do with your character, you got to roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
We didn't even have the rulebooks.

We borrowed a copy of the "Marvel Superheroes RPG" from a (grade-school) class-mate, and converted it to a fantasy setting. I was able to con my father into getting me one rulebook a month soon after.

(But slowly converting from one system to the other sucked).

...Eventually my father set me down to have the "Are you a Satanist, now, Son?" conversation. Still makes me smile. Hail Satan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
My Christmas in 1980 consisted of...

One (1) DMG
One (1) PHB
One (1) MM
One (1) high school jacket

One of the best hauls of my life. I played AD&D consistently for the next 10 years or so (up through 2nd edition), mostly as DM. However, my life, like others here, is far too busy to set aside time for RPGs any more. Sometimes, I miss those days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
My Christmas in 1980 consisted of...

Here is what my Christmas of 1981 looked like. And these are them! Have kept them in somewhat good shape, minus the big wad of gum on one.

That picture above was 31 years after that xmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have LOVED to play D&D. Even now, I'm super curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
For the next best thing, try Baldur's Gate 2 (old-ish PC game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
For the next best thing, try Baldur's Gate 2 (old-ish PC game)

Or head here: RPGG Play by Forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
wrote:

That's not D&D.

D&D is in the mind, what is on the table is irrelevent, whether it be 6 ipads and a wireless router, mins and a map, or dice and books. The play is the game. Elitism takes many forms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.