22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Abstract Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
We recently got Tsuro and Hive and discovered how much we enjoy these types of games. What's your favorite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the GIPF Project games! Especially YINSH and GIPF, and possibly excluding PÜNCT, while on the other hand, including TAMSK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstract games with a bit of theme that I like:

Tigris and Euphrates

Aton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yavalath is quick and fun, and is a great 3 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Twixt & Ploy are very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommended some of Knizia's games appear to have theme but are in reality abstracts (I believe the label "pasted on" gets used quite a bit around here, and rightfully so). I think if you like abstracts, some of his games would be right up your alley. I know I enjoy them, and I also happen to like Backgammon, Chess, and other abstracts.

Through the Desert
Kingdoms
Beowulf: The Movie Board Game (re-implements Kingdoms, & I actually like Beowulf better)

And of course for a deeper experience,
Tigris & Euphrates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QueesteGeest wrote:
Abstract games with a bit of theme that I like:

Tigris and Euphrates

Aton

ah, beat me to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines of Action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Scarlett_O wrote:
All of the GIPF Project games! Especially YINSH and GIPF, and possibly excluding PÜNCT, while on the other hand, including TAMSK.

this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Entrapment - the best wall/block/capture game I have played.... The extra bonus is that it is all made from timber by a small independent company..

Through the Desert - great multiplayer game.

Quoridor - very quick to play and addictive..

DVONN - great fun. Great components. Easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ebent
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arimaa

Perfect abstract strategy for two! You can't go wrong. Simple to learn. FUN! elegant, engaging, very deep, variable. **forgot to add**Perfectly balanced.

IMHO it would compete with GO if it were invented during the time of Chess. Chess wishes it could be this game. Arimaa was created because Chess IMHO failed.

Out of any Abstract I get the most enjoyment playing Arimaa. Even losing is engaging and educational. I've said it before Arimaa needs a portable edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torres is one of my favorite abstracts. Truly worth called a classic these days. An outstanding Game with solid mechanics, deep gameplay, easy to learn but hard to master.

greets hessi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the nominations for Go, Gipf, Arimaa and Lines of Action. To those, I would add Chase, *Star, Strata 5 (on a 7x7 or 7x8 board), Cannon, Santorini, Pacru & Auf Kurs as excellent games in the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
I second the nominations for Go, Gipf, Arimaa and Lines of Action. To those, I would add Chase, *Star, Strata 5 (on a 7x7 or 7x8 board), Cannon, Santorini, Pacru & Auf Kurs as excellent games in the genre.

When you decide to tackle learning Go, it's best to have an experienced player teach you if possible. Although the rules are not particularly complex, folks sometimes have difficulty wrapping their heads around some of the concepts at first. An experienced player can point out what you are missing or misunderstanding. Also, your first few games can be on a much smaller board, maybe 10x10, until you get more familiar with the game.

GIPF is a good game, but for some reason the other games in that family are more popular, particularly YINSH and DVONN.

*Star is the most complicated (and perhaps the most interesting from a strategic standpoint) of a family of related games. Its forerunners include Hex, The Game of Y, Poly-Y, and Star. I recommend playing Y or Star a few times before playing *Star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
The world of AS games is actually quite varied. If you are starting off, you need to figure out what sorts of mechanics you enjoy! That said, here are some of my favorites in no particular order:

Volo
Entrapment
Santorini
Epaminondas
Twixt
Go
International Checkers (although many prefer Dameo)
Camelot

For a fun change of pace, I also have a soft spot for Colorito. I'm also looking forward to trying Slither when I get a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:
We recently got Tsuro and Hive and discovered how much we enjoy these types of games. What's your favorite?

Given that you like Hive, Cannon and Arimma may be a good place to start (as others have suggested). Based on your like of Tsuro, I would recommend exploring the world of path games. It's not a genre I'm too familiar with. Does anyone else have some good recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indigo. It's sort of like Tsuro, only with the additional layer of having to move gems off the board so that they benefit you. Makes it a much better game than Tsuro and it's gorgeous to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ebent
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I third Torres. Its a great medium weight strategy game. I like playing with more than two players in Torres.

Also look into a few lighter but fun ones like Rosenkonig and Kahuna. If you can find them online for purchase. A new chess/checkers mashup thats light and a fun filler is Dragon Face.

Then there is also the ever popular Blokus series.

And if you want to get into a really challenging under the radar old historical dug up game that has a lot of interesting variants and has a very unique feeling of odd balance try Hnefatafl. Also known as Kings Table, The Viking game, and Tafl and Tablut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Nova has been a favorite for my wife (she enjoys abstracts far more than I).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Blokus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YINSH

Hive

ZÈRTZ

Twin Win

Samurai

Aton

Hey, That's My Fish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ebent
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another simple abstract for you is Barca. A good filler. Can actually be played online at playbarca.com but with just a bot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.