Subject: Official Rules FAQ & Errata rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, SMV got errata out before everybody got their copies? Not bad, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good start. But there still needs to be a lot more.

I still like this game, for some reason, but there is no denying that we are all now beta testers. The forums are awash in speculation and house rules only a week or so after the game landed. That is the direct result of the rule book as published being wholly inadequate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is quite a laundry list of clarifications.

Hopefully SMV will have it all worked out by the time I am done assembling and painting my figures... should be a few months or longer.

Any chance we'll see a revised rulebook?... in PDF format?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Rob Baxter has said one will be coming. I am looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools

So instead of the nice, printed rulebook, I'm going to have to print out a revised copy myself?

Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seahawk wrote:

So instead of the nice, printed rulebook, I'm going to have to print out a revised copy myself?

Awesome.

Yup. SOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Studio McVey tries to fix this issue quickly, I give them credit for that. This is my second Kickstarter and like the other one it seems that the rulebook is only in its beta stage which is really annoying. I dont want to look up/print out/google for pages of FAQ before I can have a satisfactory gaming experience.

The other kickstarter project promised to include a revised rulebook in the first game expansion after it became apparent that the rulebook had too many logic holes, disambiguities and was lacking vital info. SMV could fix the rulebook as fast as possible and include a revised printed copy with the March (?) Kickstarter shipment. That's what I would accept as fixing the problem.

I really hate to have the proper rules scattered over rulebooks, print out pages and what not. They maybe had a proof reader who looked over spelling mistakes but obviously no outside gamer you gave the rulebook and asked: "Do you understand how the game is played 100% just by reading the rules?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seahawk wrote:

Awesome.
Here is how to make it look nice:

1. Print out the future revised rules (only the interior pages ).

2. Remove the original cover from the game rules.

3. Staple the original cover over the newly printed pages.

4. Read thoroughly.

Maybe not the best of solutions, but at least it will look pretty nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For games which will ship product in 2 waves, it should really be done like this:

1st wave quickstart rules, in smaller-print format.

2nd wave final rules incorporating errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if by "quickstart rules" you mean what they mistakenly think is the final rulebook, and not simply a subset of that. And even that doesn't take into account the goofed cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand how to play the game 100% just by reading the rules. Me and my group of 7 others have played a dozen games with no issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Sweeney
United States
ABQ
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It Rob at McVey would have let the folks in the KS read the rules, this would be much less an issue now.

@Ryan, read the FAQ and see how close you were, oh who goes first?

Little things that are missing, and big ones, How the AOE works, need to be set, so when you meet another group there is a chance of playing.

The biggest of all is most could of been caught.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
big__rhino wrote:
I understand how to play the game 100% just by reading the rules. Me and my group of 7 others have played a dozen games with no issues.
Brilliant!

So what are the rules for Blast templates? Do you roll to hit each model, is it automatic, or is it one roll applied to all modeals? Do ANY get hit if the target model is missed?

Grateful if you could let me know what page/s of the rules these questions are answered, because I can't find it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Baxter was all over the place during the KS campaign, even scouting BGG. Seems like he's hiding in the SMV forums now.

It's not as if we didn't tell them a billion times that they should have released the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
They wouldn't have earned so much if they did. Simple as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Seahawk wrote:

Awesome.
This could have been fixed easily if they just released the damn rules prior to release.
It is unlikely that any comments from Kickstarter backers would have found their way into the printed rulebook as that was basically finished at the end of the Kickstarter campaign.

However we would have had a decent FAQ/Errata by now.

With the amount of errors and unclear stuff in the current rulebook I will mail CMON the suggestion to include a revised printed rulebook in the phase 2 shipment or, should that not be possible due to time limits, offer backers a reprinted rulebook later free of charge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bewulf wrote:
With the amount of errors and unclear stuff in the current rulebook I will mail CMON the suggestion to include a revised printed rulebook in the phase 2 shipment or, should that not be possible due to time limits, offer backers a reprinted rulebook later free of charge.
Good idea! Because it seems that cmon is not reading BGG or SMY forums and their Sedition Wars forum has only minimal activity.

The irony here is that buyers of a second print run will most probably get a revised rulebook (or there wont be a second print run if SD stucks with a general assessment of being "nice looking but hardly playable").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bewulf wrote:
include a revised printed rulebook in the phase 2 shipment or, should that not be possible due to time limits, offer backers a reprinted rulebook later free of charge.
Or, at least give us printed FAQ & Errata in the 2nd shipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Lee and Stuart.

How does AOE work?

From page 6, "Area of Effect define how an effect emanates from its base square and affects the models around it."

The template assists you in determining who got hit. They are not necessary for play, IMO. The Cards tell you exactly what happens under an AOE. If the card says that everyone under the burst gets an effect, then everyone gets it.

When does AOE go off?

AOE is an Attack Effect According to the rules you must roll a hit for an attack to succeed. Its fairly safe to assume that you don't get an effect for an ineffective attack. after all, you don't get to apply your damage or remove the model (steps 5 and 7) why would you get to apply the effect (step 6)? I agree that they should have specifically stated it.

Who goes first?

Page 18 under force deployment at the bottom left hand portion of the page, "The Vanguard and Strain player roll a d6 to see who goes first."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
big__rhino wrote:
The Cards tell you exactly what happens under an AOE. If the card says that everyone under the burst gets an effect, then everyone gets it
What about damage? Do other models under the template (and no, I don't actually use the thing!) take damage, as opposed to effects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd take a pdf over print anytime because of "ctrl-f"

However a printout flowchart can come in handy (cfr. the last page in starwars LCG rulebook)

As backer on Kickstarter, you are actually responsible to look after the projects' viability. Maybe next time, before you (not pointing anybody in person) decide to participate in such a project, you should demand to get a rulebook preview or don't participate at all.

Personally, I'm not angry as I will have lots of fun preparing the minis but I'll keep this thing in mind when they release new projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What about damage? Do other models under the template (and no, I don't actually use the thing!) take damage, as opposed to effects?
No, because the Attack Effect does not instruct you to do so. Basically guns with AOE just do a bit of bonus action on whoever happens to be standing next to the primary target. The rules for AOE templates confuse the rather simple mechanic of "just do whatever the cards say".

For Example, the Quasimodo's Attack Effect is to place corrosion markers on everyone under the burst. So after the target gets hit and is assigned damage (Step 5), You place the Template centered on the guy who took damage and everyone under it gets a corrosion token (step 6). Now if the target took enough damage to be killed remove him (step 7).

This is why characters like Morgan Vade can be a liability. His armor is 15. If he is standing next to other guys then he is putting them at risk of receiving corrosion.

Also, this is why I instruct strain players to spread out, or place their models 1 square apart. because it reduces the effects of weapons like Grenades. Its not bad Advice for the vanguard either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
big__rhino wrote:
Quote:
No, because the Attack Effect does not instruct you to do so. Basically guns with AOE just do a bit of bonus action on whoever happens to be standing next to the primary target. The rules for AOE templates confuse the rather simple mechanic of "just do whatever the cards say".

For Example, the Quasimodo's Attack Effect is to place corrosion markers on everyone under the burst. So after the target gets hit and is assigned damage (Step 5), You place the Template centered on the guy who took damage and everyone under it gets a corrosion token (step 6). Now if the target took enough damage to be killed remove him (step 7).

This is why characters like Morgan Vade can be a liability. His armor is 15. If he is standing next to other guys then he is putting them at risk of receiving corrosion.

Also, this is why I instruct strain players to spread out, or place their models 1 square apart. because it reduces the effects of weapons like Grenades. Its not bad Advice for the vanguard either...
Have you incorporated the errata?

Stuff like Rad grenades removing only 1D6 Nano clouds, Rad counters are no longer used and aren't applied to Strain.

Nano clouds can no longer move through closed doors.

Can you target your own models (Many people are killing their own strain on first turn to generate nano)?

The book also doesn't clearly state that you can take 2 actions although you may be able to infer that.

Also, it was not known that using an ability which provides an attack precludes you from using a normal attack action.

The Brace action had to be completely changed.

If you move into a room setting off 3 Reflex trigger and I kill your Strain with the first shot, are the other 2 Reflex triggers lost?

The Rules for MOD in close combat are not all there. Rob posted the complete rules in the McVey forums.

The Lucifer Plasma Pistol has an error - all models in the blast should gain burning.

This trait was missing from the Hurley card:
Quote:
Drone Payload: Hurley may have a maximum of Six drones ( a maximum of two of each type) on the board at any time.
The wording for infection from Nano Counters had to be revised due to this question in the FAQ:
Quote:
If there are 3 Nano counters in a square with an opposing model, does that model gain Stage 3 Infection?
Look at all the rules questions on the forums. To state everything is clear in the rules is misleading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
big__rhino wrote:
Thanks for this (have some gold!). Could and should have been MUCH clearer in the rulebook though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles, I rarely, if ever read all the forums. In fact, I rarely even bother with FAQ's. These games are mine, if something doesn't work or we hit a snag, we just come up with a quick patch and discuss it later. I only look for FAQ's when we are completely confused. I enjoy reading here and like the people that post here. However, sedition wars is being treated unfairly. Its my belief that most rule questions are covered.

Quote:
Stuff like Rad grenades removing only 1D6 Nano clouds, Rad counters are no longer used and aren't applied to Strain.
IMO, that's a knee jerk reaction to the complaints. I think Rads are fine and I'll go to the grave on that. We haven't changed them and some vanguard players don't even use them when we play.

Quote:
Nano clouds can no longer move through closed doors.
They're Nanos, Why not? they can't fit under the door? Do they "open" doors now or what?

Quote:
Can you target your own models (Many people are killing their own strain on first turn to generate nano)?
I'd say no for two reasons.

1) the rules don't say you can. (slippery slope, I know).
2) the Vanguard have specific rules about when to target friendly models, which expresses to me that its not something you can normally do.

Quote:
The book also doesn't clearly state that you can take 2 actions although you may be able to infer that.
I think they had a bit of trouble expressing what you could do, in my book that page is messed up too. The example of play actually clarifies what you can do very well. It goes through several combinations of actions.

Here's what they were going for:

On your tun you may complete any two of the following actions.
1. Move
2. Attack
3. Activate
4. Use an ability
5. Use a different ability
6. Focus one of the above

So in the case of the brimstone, here's what I think. I think you should Focus the Brace Ability or use Brace and then Beamflare. Both those abilities say, "On the next attack," so you focus on brace and then reflex trigger with +2d6 or on his next turn he attacks with +26 or same thing but double damage +1d6. This ability is turned on but doesn't go off until the next time it shoots.

Quote:
Also, it was not known that using an ability which provides an attack precludes you from using a normal attack action.
It wasn't, "not known". It was changed. We play by the book for the same feelings as Rad Grenades. I believe the figures have pretty good balance as written.

Quote:
If you move into a room setting off 3 Reflex trigger and I kill your Strain with the first shot, are the other 2 Reflex triggers lost?
"To use a reflex ability, the model must declare its use when the ability's reflex trigger condition is met."

So if you move into a room setting off 3 reflex triggers and the vanguard player declares all 3, the other 2 are lost when the first shot kills him.

When we play, we usually allow some wiggle room here. But what you should be doing is moving 1 space at a time and allowing the vanguard player to declare any triggers along the way. In the case were you want three dudes to shoot at 1 guy who is moving you could choose to do it over the course of 3 squares to be safe, but you are running the risk of the figure either stopping or attacking. So the vanguard player always has to decide to be safe or risk being sorry.

Quote:
The Rules for MOD in close combat are not all there. Rob posted the complete rules in the McVey forums.
seemed fine to me, but ok.

Quote:
The Lucifer Plasma Pistol has an error - all models in the blast should gain burning.
Error how? Half damage and Fire or just fire?

Quote:
This trait was missing from the Hurley card:
ok, thanks. That's helpful.

Quote:
If there are 3 Nano counters in a square with an opposing model, does that model gain Stage 3 Infection?
hmm, I'd have just said yes. Take Rad Grenades.

Quote:
look at all the rules questions on the forums. To state everything is clear in the rules is misleading.
I believe I never said they were clear, I said I could play the game 100% just by reading the rules. I think I've demonstrated that I do have a good understanding of the rules. Most of the questions asked are in the rules. Are they clear, not perfectly, no. Is there errors? yeah, there is. Does it make the game unplayable? Heck no, not by a mile. If they were, nobody would be asking. But if we all just slow down a bit, you'll find that they are covered. I think that all these forum posts are swaying people's opinions before they even sit down and give the rules a good read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |