Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Takashi Rundberg
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
Hi

So I've played Mage Knight a few times now, having had it for about a year, and recently decided to get the expansion. I thought the wound cards in the base game were really excessive, so I was quite stunned to see they give you new wound cards in it.

It had me thinking, perhaps I'm using wounds wrong. Perhaps I'm supposed to take way more wounds then I currently do.

When I'm playing it's really rare for people to take wounds, and at the end of the game a player will have at most two or three wounds in his or her deck. This makes for a pretty unfair scoring in my opinion since most people won't get any minus points and it won't be uncommon for a person who's got only one wound in his deck to take -5 points.

This combined with the excessive amount of wounds available makes me think I'm playing it wrong. I should say it's also quite rare that we get more than half-way on the leveling track.

Perhaps my strategy is wrong though, am I too cowardice? Would it serve me well to be more bold and not worry so much about being able to block or range/siege an enemy but just take the wounds? Since the hand is often quite limited to begin with it seems very crippling to get wounds, especially if you take several wounds and then have to shuffle them into your deck for the next round (meaning you can't get rid of all at once by resting a turn).

Am I perhaps missing something about healing that's supposed to make it a lot easier to get rid of wounds from hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Afshin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the early game, I try and avoid taking more than two wounds from any one battle if possible. If the rewards are very high (i.e. a spell and a level up), I may be willing to risk a 3rd wound. I avoid any battle likely to give me more than two wounds if it does not result in a level up.

In the later game that can change, particularly if I have healing cards that are yet to come up. I have taken as many as five when going after a city.

It depends primarily on what the rewards are and if am ahead or behind in terms of being on track to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most wound cards in expansion are for General Volkare, read the scenario book and you'll know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the game state, but I'll often take wounds if it means that I can get a spell or artifact and a decent amount of fame. If I have Invocation, Power of Pain, or Herbalists I'm more willing to take wounds.

Most of the new wounds are for Volkare's deck, as previously mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 40 wound cards in the base game, enough for 10 wounds per player. The Lost Legion adds 12 more. I suppose if all players get knocked out twice during the same round, or never bother to heal, then the supply could run low; but then I'd say they are all doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to play Arythea and take stacks of wounds. Her ability to manage damage is exceptional. Imba, possibly. At least in the solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My attitude will depend on what options I have for healing. Getting 6 wounds in a round when all you have is Tranquility is not so good, getting 10 when you have several of Tranquility, a nearby mystical glade, a monastery, a unit or AA that gives you healing is often fine. Of course you don't want to take 10 every round. Generally I'll take on a fight if I can defeat my enemy, perhaps spend a turn resting to discard them, and then worry about healing them later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
prograft wrote:
Most wound cards in expansion are for General Volkare, read the scenario book and you'll know.

Yeah I haven't got around to that yet. Think I'm going to read it tomorrow though.

Still it should've occured to me before the expansion as well because there really is a huge number of wound cards in the original game as well!

vonklaude wrote:
I tend to play Arythea and take stacks of wounds. Her ability to manage damage is exceptional. Imba, possibly. At least in the solo game.

I really like Arythea for this reason (and the Polarization skill!), it's my favorite character by far. Goldyx is nice because of his improved action card in the base deck too, but that's off topic I guess.

Recently I've been somehow disenchanted by Arythea's skills though. I mean factoring in that 1) you can only play one wound sideways with that awesome skill thing, 2) you need one of two specific skills to make use of her wound abilities and (last but not the least) 3) you get a huge ammount of minus points at the end because no one else will be taking wounds at all so you have -2 for each card and -3 for being the one with the most - That can be something like 10-15 minus at the end!

I'd imagine something to that effect applies to solo as well, since you try to score as high as you can.

PhilP wrote:
My attitude will depend on what options I have for healing. Getting 6 wounds in a round when all you have is Tranquility is not so good, getting 10 when you have several of Tranquility, a nearby mystical glade, a monastery, a unit or AA that gives you healing is often fine. Of course you don't want to take 10 every round. Generally I'll take on a fight if I can defeat my enemy, perhaps spend a turn resting to discard them, and then worry about healing them later.

Hm, I will usually try to get 0 wounds no matter what because just getting one wound I can't heal on hand means I have to pass for one round - meaning I have a high probability of falling behind and not getting to use the deck. Even with a healing card or two I will need to get them on hand in order to use them. With most healing springs being in forests (I think?) it might be very hard to get to one at night too.

Healing units is cool though. Perhaps I should try using such units more, I'm actually not sure I've ever used the healing abilities of any units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, if you are playing the game well enough you can defeat both cities (neither of them the pansy white one) with only taking a couple of wounds, more power to you. Though I'm really wondering if you're doing something wrong (not assigning 1 wound per unblocked unit THEN subtracting hero defense before figuring out if you take another wound would be chief among them but others would be using any blocks to block non-basic attacks--fire/cold/cold-fire).

I can't go through any game without taking several wounds though as stated above, you don't want to take more than 2 in a battle, and there better be a good reason why you took 2. Then the 2 cities in the solo battle make you take wounds just because you have limited resources so some attacks have to get through just so you can kill things.

Quote:
Hm, I will usually try to get 0 wounds no matter what because just getting one wound I can't heal on hand means I have to pass for one round - meaning I have a high probability of falling behind and not getting to use the deck. Even with a healing card or two I will need to get them on hand in order to use them. With most healing springs being in forests (I think?) it might be very hard to get to one at night too.

You're thinking too hard. A wound in your hand isn't the end of the world. That's just ONE fewer card you get to draw. You don't have to get rid of it the next turn either. Now, you are right that getting into a glade at night is really hard because it costs 5 which is difficult, but again, you can heal in your hand and at the monastery if you have to.

I honestly have no idea how you're leveling up easily without taking wounds, and if you're doing everything correctly, I'd LOVE to know how you do it so I can vastly improve my game (which needs it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to amend my previous statement, having just completed my first play of Volkare's Return. With two heroes and the easiest setting, I finished the game during the third day, but ended up with 25 wounds in the players' decks plus 4 more on units.

Taking wounds early in the game is not good, because it limits your useable hand size until you can find a way to heal or discard them. Tovak was able to mitigate his wounds by taking the “I Feel No Pain” skill and later on Stout Resolve. Taking wounds during the final battle is nearly inevitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
Well, I would view it the other way around. I need to optimize my game and be more agressive!

I'm not levling a lot. I would usually end up on level 3 or 4 at the end of a typical beginner's game. Reason for this being that I need to be able to attack and block or range attack an enemy in order to kill it without taking wounds (and often also move into location, such as mage towers).

I'm pretty certain about how the wound assagning works, I think that part is correct. It's more a question of strategy... I would guess (but I'm planning to reread the rule books soon to check).

About the ONE fewer card I get to draw, I realize it's only one but I find that my hand is very limited to begin with if I only have 5 or 6 cards. And that one less card will be one less until I skip a turn to rest or somehow manage to heal myself - no? And if I don't heal it but just discard it somehow I'll have it return the next round. This especially bothers me when everyone else too is being very careful because it means I'm falling behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you're desperately fending off Volkare's army, you tend to take a lot of wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaminix wrote:
Well, I would view it the other way around. I need to optimize my game and be more agressive!

I'm not levling a lot. I would usually end up on level 3 or 4 at the end of a typical beginner's game. Reason for this being that I need to be able to attack and block or range attack an enemy in order to kill it without taking wounds (and often also move into location, such as mage towers).

I'm pretty certain about how the wound assagning works, I think that part is correct. It's more a question of strategy... I would guess (but I'm planning to reread the rule books soon to check).

About the ONE fewer card I get to draw, I realize it's only one but I find that my hand is very limited to begin with if I only have 5 or 6 cards. And that one less card will be one less until I skip a turn to rest or somehow manage to heal myself - no? And if I don't heal it but just discard it somehow I'll have it return the next round. This especially bothers me when everyone else too is being very careful because it means I'm falling behind.

I haven't played any PvP games so I guess if you're playing with 2 or 3 other weak-kneed players that wound could make a difference, but in the Conquest or either Volkaire games, you can't win at the level you say you're at. That also explains your fear of wounds clogging your hand as if you're stuck at 5 cards all the time (not leveling up or attacking keeps which give you +1 hand size around the keep per keep).

The one thing I didn't mention on possible errors on damage assigning is that most enemies are fortified (any building--keeps/towers/city you assault are all fortified) meaning ranged attack doesn't work and if they're fortified themselves in a fortification nothing works in the range/siege phase. So, if you're stacking ranged attack, that really only works on the orcs (green enemies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timlagor
msg tools
I usually consider it worth taking wounds to win a fight (which will usually get a level early on as well as some other reward). Losing a fight is very bad of course. Obviously you want to take as few wounds as possible but it's my firm (though possibly erroneous) conviction that taking some is not bad for good rewards (artifacts stand out of course). We do tend to find they mostly get healed by the end and that is something we make an effort to do if we have them.

I expect to get well past halfway by the time all the scores have been added up and expect to reach base a hand size of 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
How do you usually get rid of the wounds? Do you rest them of or keep them in hand until healed? Would you go out of your way (such as taking a turn or two in a healing spring or keep wounds on hand while waiting to pick up healing cards) to get rid of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
I don't necessarily have the best advice, but I rarely rest. I can heal off what I need to between Tranquility, magical glades, villages, and monasteries (and then there are less common situations, like Units or "being Arythea"). The times I recall resting, I took a gamble on some combat and got the worst or near-worst case scenario. (Or I did some foolish miscalculation.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, I only take wounds when I know the one healing spell is either in my hand or hasn't been drawn yet so I keep them (and yes, I tend to avoid the poison units like the plague, which is thematic fwiw, specifically so I don't draw a bunch of wounds next round). Also landing on glades is really important, and not only for healing as that gold mana token during the day is awesome or launching a big attack at night with that black mana token can win you the game.

However, once you take on the cities or Volkare, you're going to just have to suck it up and take wounds wherever. If that means you have to rest a turn, just pray that dummy or Volkare lets you, and of course, wound all the units you spent already first when fighting that 2nd city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
I'll be playing one or more game(s) tomorrow or the day after. Gonna try being a little braver than usual!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.