Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
a thousand words are better
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 6.6.7.1.1

If I want to mount an infantry unit, must the infantry unit take a move command? Or can the transporting vehicle mount the infantry unit as part of its command regardless of the infantry unit's command?

For example, confirm the following is an illegal move?

A squad has a fire command. Later, a half-track spends a quarter of its speed to drive up, half of its speed to mount the squad, and a quarter of its speed to drive off.

I know, it says right there at the start that the passengers must have a move command. But my brain is parsing the separate discussions of vehicles and passengers in a weird way. Like, mounting/dismounting is an action that can be taken by the squad OR by the vehicle. Just wanted to check my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
rjb9000 wrote:
Re: 6.6.7.1.1

If I want to mount an infantry unit, must the infantry unit take a move command? Or can the transporting vehicle mount the infantry unit as part of its command regardless of the infantry unit's command?

For example, confirm the following is an illegal move?

A squad has a fire command. Later, a half-track spends a quarter of its speed to drive up, half of its speed to mount the squad, and a quarter of its speed to drive off.

I know, it says right there at the start that the passengers must have a move command. But my brain is parsing the separate discussions of vehicles and passengers in a weird way. Like, mounting/dismounting is an action that can be taken by the squad OR by the vehicle. Just wanted to check my interpretation.

The squad must have a Move command and mounting or dismounting uses all of its movement. The vehicle can have any command.

So yes, your example would be illegal because of the Fire Command; but the movement analysis is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mach
United States
Lindley
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me add to the question to help my understanding.

You already mounted the truck on a previous turn. Now you want to move a few spaces and dismount the squad. Would both the vehicle and the squad need move commands?

In the section(6.6.7.1.1) on mounting they specifically mention needing a move command. But the section on dismounting they don't mention needing the move command, but the squad is marked with a spot move.

Also if the vehicle went 1/4 of its movement allowance on road, dismounted a squad, can the vehicle turn around and go back 1/4 movement allowance? I guess it is basically a road movement question is turning around 180 deg ok to still use road movement?

Thanks
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
joeMLF wrote:
Let me add to the question to help my understanding.

You already mounted the truck on a previous turn. Now you want to move a few spaces and dismount the squad. Would both the vehicle and the squad need move commands?

In the section(6.6.7.1.1) on mounting they specifically mention needing a move command. But the section on dismounting they don't mention needing the move command, but the squad is marked with a spot move.

Right under the rule heading number it says that mounting and dismounting are Moves and that the transported units must have a Move command, so yes, for dismounting, the transported unit must have a Move command.

A vehicle that is dismounting a passenger does NOT need a Move command. It can do so with any command it has. It still costs 1/2 of its movement though, so if its command includes movement, you must spend the MP to do the mount or dismount. (Obviously if it has a Fire Command it is not moving so it makes no difference for the vehicle. The Spot Move marker on the transported unit just shows that there was movement and makes them easier to spot.)

Quote:

Also if the vehicle went 1/4 of its movement allowance on road, dismounted a squad, can the vehicle turn around and go back 1/4 movement allowance? I guess it is basically a road movement question is turning around 180 deg ok to still use road movement?

Sure, as long as you've got the movement points to do so. Just keep in mind that to turn all the way around will cost you +2 MP because you only get one free hexside turn, so you won't actually be able to go back as far as you came before dismounting.

Example: a vehicle with a road movement of 12 could move 3 hexes, dismount for 6 and have three remaining, use 2 to turn all the way around and then move 1 hex. Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mach
United States
Lindley
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Example: a vehicle with a road movement of 12 could move 3 hexes, dismount for 6 and have three remaining, use 2 to turn all the way around and then move 1 hex. Make sense?

I'm not sure. In the path and road movement section it says you must always be facing the road or path as it would enter the next hex. That's why I was wondering if flipping your vehicle 180 deg was within the spirit of the rules or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry White
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
I would think that turning around would take some amount of time more than just driving on down the path....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joeMLF wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure. In the path and road movement section it says you must always be facing the road or path as it would enter the next hex. That's why I was wondering if flipping your vehicle 180 deg was within the spirit of the rules or not.

Hmmm...that sounds like what the rules say...

The Path-Road movement in Panzer takes some adjustment as it's not quite like other games I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.