Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have this game yet, still waiting for it to get to the US, but I read the rules and I have a question. What is the point of the different objects? The rules show you get 3 points per any object so I am just curious, why didn't they just make all the objects the same? I have a feeling there is a simple answer here and I totally missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That are only the beginners rules.
With the expansion, there are different cards for game end condition I, II and III - and there are, for example, conditions like collecting sets of 3, 4 or 5 - or 3 sets of 2.

Here are the expansion rules:
http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/files/carrara/Carrara-ru...

There you can see at least the expansion cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have PoC. My rulebook states that when buying blocks, if there is a section which contains any fee blocks, you must buy from that section. I have seen what is described as a version 2 rulebook, which appears to omit this rule.

Is the first version of the rulebook correct, or has it been officially errata'd so that you can purchase fom anywhere on the wheel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
RDewsbery wrote:
I have PoC. My rulebook states that when buying blocks, if there is a section which contains any fee blocks, you must buy from that section. I have seen what is described as a version 2 rulebook, which appears to omit this rule.

Is the first version of the rulebook correct, or has it been officially errata'd so that you can purchase fom anywhere on the wheel?

The version 2 English rulebook was released because of a translation error (according to a post from Z-Man). However, the error didn't sound quite like what you're describing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

The game would go from a 7.5 rating to a 5.5 rating (for me) if you couldn't buy from any section. I've played the game more than 10 times with the 'buy from any section' rule and it's been fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

Not quite sure what your response has to do with the question being asked by the OP ?

Am I missing something ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, since I quoted the person I was responding to, I thought it was clear I wasn't responding to the OP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Uh, since I quoted the person I was responding to, I thought it was clear I wasn't responding to the OP?

Uh, now I think you're getting confused.

In my post I've quoted R Dewsberry and not you, so I was asking the question of him. I wasn't sure what his post had to do with the question asked by the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collecting objects, buying resources from the wheel. It's easy to confuse the two when in a room with 150 gamers and are sleep-deprived. Now that's answered, perhaps you know the answer to my question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK sorry, the term "OP" got confusing.

My understanding was that Richard was asking if you had to buy from a section that had a cost to it. I said basically that you don't have to buy from a section that has a cost to it.

I apologize if I misunderstood Richard's question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Collecting objects, buying resources from the wheel. It's easy to confuse the two when in a room with 150 gamers and are sleep-deprived. Now that's answered, perhaps you know the answer to my question?

Nope I'm in the same boat. My copy of the rules do say that if there are spots with free resources, then you have to take from one of those.

However we've not been playing with that rule. I'm in agreement with Jennifer in that my rating for the game would decrease dramatically if it had to be played that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked in the German rules. Couldn't find anything that forces a player to buy from a certain section. It's the players choice where to buy from, as long as they can afford it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

The first version did have a rule that sounded like you were forced to buy from a section that had a free block, if one existed. The wording got me, and we played it incorrectly my first couple of times.

Yes, it was re-worded later so as not to confuse folks. So the rule wasn't changed, just clarified that you can buy from anywhere, and when you do, you must take the free blocks (why would you ever not take all the free stuff?)

That said, I actually liked this incorrect way of playing with 2 players. With the advanced rule on optional rotating, it allowed some clever moves where you forced your opponent to take from a certain section, allowing you to scoop some higher value pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
Yes, it was re-worded later so as not to confuse folks. So the rule wasn't changed, just clarified that you can buy from anywhere, and when you do, you must take the free blocks (why would you ever not take all the free stuff?)

I'm not seeing anything in the English rules that requires you to take the free blocks from the space you choose. I agree, there's no reason I can think of not to, but the rules don't appear to say that.

http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/files/carrara/EN-Carrara...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think that was posted as the initial explanation of what they were meaning by this: "At this point, if there is at least one section where you can buy or take a block for free, you must do so."

When the re-write appeared, looks like all that just disappeared, replaced by 'you must take/buy at least one block' wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Quote:

I'm not seeing anything in the English rules that requires you to take the free blocks from the space you choose. I agree, there's no reason I can think of not to, but the rules don't appear to say that.

http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/files/carrara/EN-Carrara...

You may want to leave the free blocks to limit the number of blocks the next player gets to add to the wheel to reduce their chances of getting the colors they want. I also don't see anything in the rule book requiring you to take the free blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only seeing a compulsion to take free blocks when you are broke and can't afford anything else. ... and in that case, if there are no free blocks, take 2 coins and end your turn to contemplate the mistakes you have made in this life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.