Archipelago: Solo Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Balance of the Archiplago, turn 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that the game can be lost on turn 1 in the Balance phase because it comes before actions.

For my first try, I picked Enrico Lopez. He starts with the ocean tile and one ship. No citizens. So, the domestic crisis has on turn 1 has no effect as there are no people on the islands. The export crisis does however take effect unless it is an event, and the export market is empty at start. So an export crisis generates at least one rebel, As the population is zero, the game is lost.

This is silly.

I can think of two possible ways around this:
1) Ignore the Balance phase on turn 1
2) Rule that the number of rebels cannot be greater than the sum of population plus surplus workers.

The second option is obvious in a sense. but not written into the rules if I remember correctly.

Allowing an initial exploration wouldn't solve it in the case of Lopez, as I have no people to put to work and no actions to recruit surplus workers before the export crisis kicks in.

But if you have a character that starts with people, then you might well be screwed with the second option if you have no initial exploration as there is no way to satisfy the initial export crisis.

The rules for starting up a solo game are incomplete. I have to invent changes to be able to play the game. I'm pissed that I have spent money on such poor quality. Didn't they playtest this?

Please, can we have some official rulings here!

Edit: The one rule that would work - and make sense - is:

Ignore Balance of the Archipelago if there are no huts on the board.

This would of course never happen when turn 0 is in effect, so it isn't in the original rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Olesen wrote:
1) Ignore the Balance phase on turn 1.

Is this different in the solo rules? Because you are supposed to ignore the Balance phase on turn one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
Robert Olesen wrote:
1) Ignore the Balance phase on turn 1.

Is this different in the solo rules? Because you are supposed to ignore the Balance phase on turn one.

Oops. You are right. It's in the original rules (with small font). Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.