Hide
6 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discarded Other Worldly Adventures - What do to with monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Some Guy
msg tools
I don't remember the precise wording but The Arcane Art....Closes the doors forces all other worldly portals to close and the cards to be discarded and not replaced. However, no where in the revised rules does it say what to do with the monsters that are on these cards.

My interpretation is that they should be returned to the monster cup, but someone else I was playing with seemed to think it was possible that they would be distributed to the other adventures.

I'm fairly certain (near 100%) that my interpretation is correct, but I figured I would add this here for ruling to be added to the next FAQ or just generally be addressed by the community for future reference.

As an aside, I could see an argument - from a flavor perspective - for 2 alternatives:
1) Removing those monsters from the game entirely. The idea being that the creatures were in another dimension which has now been sealed away.
2) Setting the monsters aside until the the other world deck cycles around and then returning them to the card as before when the card comes up again (rare). The idea being that the world maintained continuity.

Tho I think it is pretty clear neither of those are what is intended by the rules I do think either would be a neat way to play it as a house rule perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played that they go back in the cup, which represents only a statistical sample of the monster population available to the Great Old One in the game.

Ray Stantz: Gozer the Gozerian? Good evening. As a duly-designated representative of the City, County and State of New York, I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the next convenient parallel dimension.

Peter Venkman: That oughtta do it. Thanks very much, Ray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for the monster cup (or "monster pot" at our place).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that they go back in the cup. If in doubt, play the way that makes the game tough----ah yes, the Lovecraftian way. You're fighting Ancient Ones after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Piepkorn
United States
Lompoc
California
flag msg tools
Yep we play back in the cup for sure. When we couldn't figure it out exactly we went with the rule of where used up monster trophies go.. back in the cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across this same issue when I played today. I consulted the rules and the FAQ, and decided that the spirit of the game was as follows:

- the Other World Adventure cards are supposed to be portals to other realms.
- discarding the cards would basically mean closing the gate.
- any monsters on the card would be closed off with the gate, so they would go back in the monster cup (or bag in my case).

I didn't have any characters at that location, but now that I think about it, if I consider the monsters gone, I might have to consider the players inside it gone as well devil

Maybe have them lose all their items/allies/spells and also their next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.