Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don't Blink
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally achieved a score higher than COIN Failure! STALEMATE!!!!!

I really had to cripple the insurgents to do so, however. They did LimOps as normal, including no specials. They would do full Op + Special when they were 1st Eligible (and not leftmost), or when the event was taken.

I found it still a very big challenge! The greatest challenge was, and always has been, the Cartels. Their sheer capacity to spawn bases just about anywhere is just phenomenal - and they never, thanks to their bottomless purse. Luckily they didnt' Terror or Bribe much during my game -- once, if I can recall from memory.

The next scariest were the AUC, with their "simple" Victory condition of having more bases than FARC. I had to prevent destroying FARC bases to ensure AUC wasn't winning. AUC had two bases in Panama, which prevent Sweep Ops from activating Gs there. The Non-players just aren't that interested in AUC, or AUC bases enough to do any damage to them for me.

The FARC were, then, the least of my worries. when Mono Jojoy came up, they just marched, 7,8,9 strong to my cities, and fully Activated. Mono Jojoy just flips 3 of them back underground, but my dice selected a Dept, rather than a city. I Assaulted them next turn, and dealt them a huge blow.

I often found that I wasn't using my Govt abilities all that much, and found my self playing Ops instead of taking new Govt capabilities. When I had a Special, I often used it to Eradicate, as the cartels were giving me a run for my money! It helped the FARC a tiny bit, but nothing I couldn't fix with a Civic Action...

A few new things I've learned -- take the mountains fast, strong, and early! Three are worth 4VP each, and one is worth 2VP, for a total of 14, 10 more than Govt starts with! FARC cannot rally there once they have support; cartels can't Cultivate there as long as there are sufficient police; with bases down, troops can stay happily during the Redeploy phase, ready to pounce on any threatening adjacent space.

With the help of I realized just how important it is to predict just exactly the Non players are going to do. Keeping the AUC at bay (!TERROR!) is as easy as keeping them out of FARC bases, and/or putting 6+ Gs into their Available box - forcing them to Rally.

The game was very enjoyable, and played over about 4 days 2-4 hrs each day. Non player factions which always Full Op + Special is way too extreme. I don't think I'll succeed at that anytime soon.

----
FINAL SCORE
Govt +3
AUC -2
Cartels -5
FARC -7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Sarnacki
Poland
Wyszków
Mazowsze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Felipe,
Nice AAR. I think you get COIN Progress since Govt +3 - AUC-2 means 5 :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Savor this, as we all know too well, this doesn't happen very often. I am still trying for my first win in a Solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo. Must break it out again and try to emulate your feat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first COIN Triumph solitaire game! It did take some good luck, but I would have to say the keys were:

1. Hit the Cartels and then the FARC early - Cartels are especially hurt if they have a low base count at the 1st propoganda card - imagine them broke or close to it! FARC take a little while to get themselves built up, so they are 2nd in line.

2. In my game, having a strong AUC was a huge advantage. Let them build up unmolested, but get ready: once they are strong enough they will start to terror and assassinate like crazy, which takes a lot out of the FARC but hurts your aid - in other words, don't count on getting any foreign monetary assistance. Make sure you protect your LoCs, and take resource based events when you can. It also can put them in winning position quickly, so don't let their bases get out of hand. Station some troops in their departments ready to pull the trigger if need be. The bot don't mind you being there at all...

3. Play for the long haul. Because there were some good events, I didn't even end up training very much until almost the 2nd propoganda card (basically half the game). Because you are going all the way to the end, play with that in mind. It is OK to have a faction close to winning at the prop card because there is generally time to bring them back.

4. National Defence and Security Council is great to have - sweep with some strength and then leave your troops and 1 police cube in the department. Assuming they still outnumber the bad guys at the prop card, you have control and can conduct civic action at that time!

5. To save resources, I swept into departments and got them to just passive support - it prevents FARC rallying there, which limits their options. I didn't feel a pressing need to get everywhere to active support, until after the 3rd prop card passed.

I played this game with each faction able to take ops + special action, which actually balances out just fine - it allows the AUC to assassinate FARC bases a lot when the opportunities present themselves! It was funny, I had planned to send some resources to the AUC as needed to help prop them up, but they stole 3 shipments and never hurt for cash the whole game as a result!

Give it a go! You can do it too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.