Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Axis & Allies: WWI 1914» Forums » General

Subject: I st Turn Demo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the A&A.org Forum

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29702.0

In general the mechanics look good for the Game scale.

OD
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not sure how I feel about this game. Some things that worry me:

Quote:
At this point Austria is attacking Serbia, Romania, and Venice.


... and on the first turn? What war is this again exactly?

Quote:
This struggle will continue until either the Allies control Berlin and at least one other Central powers capital or if at least two Allied capitals, one of which must be Paris or London are controlled by the Central Powers.


... I am sure this will bother others too. There needs to be alternative victory or at least end-game conditions for a First World War game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Lannes
Germany
Zirndorf
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the information.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayne Starlancer wrote:
Still not sure how I feel about this game. Some things that worry me:

Quote:
At this point Austria is attacking Serbia, Romania, and Venice.


... and on the first turn? What war is this again exactly?

Quote:
This struggle will continue until either the Allies control Berlin and at least one other Central powers capital or if at least two Allied capitals, one of which must be Paris or London are controlled by the Central Powers.


... I am sure this will bother others too. There needs to be alternative victory or at least end-game conditions for a First World War game.


Austria is only required to attack Serbia ,I think the other attacks were
for demo purposes otherwise it's a boneheaded move.

The Victory conditions really bother me,I hope some other victory Levels
are included otherwise it's a House Rule in the making

There is a lot of debate for how "Historical" the Game should be
especially around the entrance of Neutrals.When we get to see the whole
rule set we'll see how it works.

I've pre ordered this & am looking forward to playing it but I can see
a lot of potential for Home Rules for those of us who want this Game to
reflect a fairly accurate historical mode.

OD
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks William for posting. I love some of the fresh ideas that Larry has incorporated into the design. No IPC for contested areas and tanks absorbing hits. Great stuff.

Am a little surprised by the VC though. They seem slightly ahistorical as is. If I remember correctly, the main antagonists lost the war without ever having enemy troops marched thru their capitals.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding VC, I suspect that like most A&A games that the players will agree to call the game before the VC are met.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ardos wrote:
Regarding VC, I suspect that like most A&A games that the players will agree to call the game before the VC are met.


I developed a simple solution for creating both victory conditions with a set ending and creating more strategic options to pursue. Although 1914 is not out yet, I can see from the examples given and being an Axis and Allies spin off, that it will work well.

Goal is to create game winning conditions that are achievable in 2 to 2.5 hours without feeling scripted.

Create a 3 Front Track for National Morale (Western, Eastern, Mediteranean). All tracks start at "0" and fluctuate back and forth based upon conditions such as IPC's gained and lost in a turn, control of key regions, etc. Game can be won instantly if a combined set of numbers on the track is achieved, or at the end of turn 8,9, or 10 the alliance (Triple Entente or Central Powers) with the best 2 out of 3 on the track wins a conditional or marginal victory.

I've seen many house rules for A&A in the past and many seem either overly complex or ahistorical. I've done this in the past with WWII and other Wargames and it works well, particularly because it creates a feeling of freedom to pursue different strategies other than the 'fortress' mentality of capturing preset territories (capital cities) etc.. When major offensives fail or several significant defeats ensue within a short time frame, National desire and opinion can change rapidly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I had no clue this was coming out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanks can be built from the very beginning? Not good.

I think the game would have benefited from some sort of "tech advancement" track, perhaps not R&D, but things like tanks, aviation, and oil-fired ships making their "appearance" at historical times would have added some flavor and tactical variety.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
UT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the 'concern for the Victory Conditions' camp.

Very excited to see this title, and believe it will be unique enough to bring a fresh breath of air to the Franchise. So many interesting twists, while maintaining the traditional A&A Feel.

However, I would much prefer to see LEVELS of Victory and some subtle ways to go about achieving final victory. So many of the WWII A&A games have only moderate Strategy towards victory... more of a 'bludgeoning your way to the finish', feel. The end of WWI was more complicated and deserves some special considerations, even at the risk of breaking the mold and making the VCs for this game slightly more complicated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Tanks can be built from the very beginning? Not good.

I think the game would have benefited from some sort of "tech advancement" track, perhaps not R&D, but things like tanks, aviation, and oil-fired ships making their "appearance" at historical times would have added some flavor and tactical variety.


In that Turn 1 demonstration it mentions Austria can't build tanks until the 4th round. I don't know if that's just Austria or everyone though.

Larry Harris wrote:
To kick things off, with an income of 26 IPCs, Austria has some purchasing decisions to make... No tanks can be purchased until the 4th round earliest, so that's out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blair46 wrote:
Barry Kendall wrote:
Tanks can be built from the very beginning? Not good.

I think the game would have benefited from some sort of "tech advancement" track, perhaps not R&D, but things like tanks, aviation, and oil-fired ships making their "appearance" at historical times would have added some flavor and tactical variety.


In that Turn 1 demonstration it mentions Austria can't build tanks until the 4th round. I don't know if that's just Austria or everyone though.

Larry Harris wrote:
To kick things off, with an income of 26 IPCs, Austria has some purchasing decisions to make... No tanks can be purchased until the 4th round earliest, so that's out.


I thought I saw that no one can build tanks until the 4th turn
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that's good. I'll buy the game in any case, but it's good to know this anyway.

I'd sure like to get a look at the components soon, especially the miniatures.

I like the limitations on attack which will make penetrations difficult. The bleed-the-enemy-dray aspect of WW I appears to have been a key consideration for Larry in his design.

I will be very interested to see how the naval aspect is represented, particularly the commitment of heavy surface forces. I'd love to see a simultaneous-plot mechanic for placement in order to re-create the historical "Jutland surprise," but suspect it will be more a matter of the turn sequence allowing the Central Powers to move later in the Game-turn.

A couple of months, and we'll know. Jolly good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Oh, that's good. I'll buy the game in any case, but it's good to know this anyway.

I'd sure like to get a look at the components soon, especially the miniatures.

I like the limitations on attack which will make penetrations difficult. The bleed-the-enemy-dray aspect of WW I appears to have been a key consideration for Larry in his design.

I will be very interested to see how the naval aspect is represented, particularly the commitment of heavy surface forces. I'd love to see a simultaneous-plot mechanic for placement in order to re-create the historical "Jutland surprise," but suspect it will be more a matter of the turn sequence allowing the Central Powers to move later in the Game-turn.

A couple of months, and we'll know. Jolly good.


Austria moves first in turn order, Then Russia, followed by Germany. So most of the Central powers move before the big navy's of the Allies
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.