Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was gonna put this in Suggestions, but it did not seem like an "official" suggestion for how to improve the web site overall, so I'll put it here. It can always be moved if needed.

As I was looking through a few games forums for rules clarifications, sometimes I notice that the designer of the game will answer, or one of the playtesters that are actually listed in the manual, or someone "official" like that. If you poke around long enough, you can eventually figure out that the poster is someone "official."

What I think would be neat is if they had overtext added saying "Designer of X Y Z" or "official playtester of A B C." Then folks could tell at a glance that the poster is someone who knows of what they speak, rather than a player offering her opinion (which of course, is also very valuable in it's own right. But often folks are looking for "official" answers, and overtext saying "Hey, I playtested this game for the designer. I know what I am talking about" might be helpful.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a bunch of playtesting for Dominion, and it's early expansions. A lot of times, you are better off asking rules questions of someone unaffiliated with the game, rather than me, as they don't get confused about which rules are official, and which were used during playtesting. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
I did a bunch of playtesting for Dominion, and it's early expansions. A lot of times, you are better off asking rules questions of someone unaffiliated with the game, rather than me, as they don't get confused about which rules are official, and which were used during playtesting. shake

Are you allowed to share some off the non-official or thrown out rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
BeyondMonopoly wrote:

Are you allowed to share some off the non-official or thrown out rules?

Well, we were mostly testing cards from Donald, small changes like cost or how man +whatevers something gave.

I think if Donald wanted that information out there, it would be best to let him share it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the point is that when Donald posts in one of the Dominion forums, or Brandon Tibbetts (or possibly RPGShop) posts in The Manhattan Project forums, or Matt Leacock posts in the Pandemic or Forbidden Island forums, the badge indicates not that the person is a Designer or publisher, but is one _for this game_ and very likely be official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
I think part of the point is that when Donald posts in one of the Dominion forums, or Brandon Tibbetts (or possibly RPGShop) posts in The Manhattan Project forums, or Matt Leacock posts in the Pandemic or Forbidden Island forums, the badge indicates not that the person is a Designer or publisher, but is one _for this game_ and very likely be official.

This. . . ^

And, the funny thing is, I came up with the idea after seeing Matt Leacock's posts (as a designer) on Forbidden Island, exactly. And also Michael Cox (as a playtester) on Star Trek Fleet Captains. So, yes, that was the point exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.