Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Gabelman
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom is great to listen to, and is clearly very knowledgeable on a wide array of games.

That said, my favorite games are usually more skill than luck (Go, Chicago Express, Steam).

How much luck vs skill is in this game? It seems like there is a lot of randomness based on what cards you receive.

I love I'm the Boss, and that has randomness in card drawing, but there's some control in how you utilize those cards. Additionally, in ITB, there are only 5 or so types of cards, so each card isn't wildly different.

I love "backstabbing" type games and games with lots of interaction, so this might or might not fit the bill!

Any feedback would be great!

Cheers,

JRG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Loviska

Zeeland
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without playing it, it would be hard for for me to know for sure. I think that the randomness is there, but there are only 4 different types of gangsters and some with multiple types, so I don't think you'll ever be stuck with nothing to do. You also have the option of killing off someone to get a different card on the board, if you have the money. So I do think there will be some luck, but you'd also have to have skill to end up winning against good players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Huerta
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have playtested this game with 10+ plays under my belt and I think what you're asking is: Does any randomness that the game have, ruin the playing experience.

NO... This game is random but in as much as the people at the table influence your decisions. Sometimes you will receive cards that are not as usable, but there are ways to strategically maneuver yourself in and out of those bad card draws...with a sly tongue and witty negotiations...you could find your self in a pretty good place...

The randomness comes less from cards played or not played and more from the fact that you are actually trying to beat the other players at the table by bluffing, making and simultaneously breaking deals...like you would in Go, Chess or even checkers...But unlike games of Agricola or Power Grid, you are not just trying to maximize the game to logically plow through a complex puzzle, the randomness of human interaction in this game is what makes it unpredictable.

The fun in this game is that Tom and Steve have built some nice mechanics into the game to give everyone a fighting chance, now alliances can be crucial but knowing when and how to break that alliance is even more crucial.

In this way it's very similar to poker. The luck of poker is minimized by the ability to read and interpret other peoples actions. In this way I would also say Nothing Personal is a lot like a mash up of The Resistance, Cosmic Encounter and Poker around a Mob/Mafia theme.

You will have plenty of BACKSTABBING and LOADS of Interaction and this will fit the bill. imho

For these reasons, I love the game. Can't wait for my copy to arrive...

(edit: you asked how muck skill versus luck ski in the game?) Direct answer: 70% skill 30% luck (for a good poker player) 90% skill 10% luck (for a Great poker player) [simply using poker to mean that player has a great acumen for reading people and playing what he has optimally.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouria
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am not sure, we had the first game today and a 20 point swing which was purely from two very lucky card draws in the very last round (prison breaks). Seemed very lucky. Maybe there is a way to tone down some cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.