The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Caught in a web - persistent effect? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Grieves
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but is the "Caught in a web" effect a persistent effect every round? I searched the official and unofficial FAQ's and the forums but didn't seem to find a definitive answer. I'm assuming (from what I've been able to gather) that the effect is persistent from round to round and until you can use a card or hero that can remove the effect, you are stuck paying 2 resources every round to ready the hero that is caught in the web. I would have thought it was an effect that once you paid the 2 resources, the hero had cut himself free of the web and was now ready to fight again, minus the web (discarding "Caught in a web"). Any help/clarification is appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Condition cards are every round unless the card is removed. Miners of the Iron Hills is a must include when its around, or treachery canncellers. So yes, that card sucks. Dont wanna see it against Dol Gulder especially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an attachment and a 'Condition' and it has no 'discard when...' details on the card so your hero is unfortunately stuck with it, until you can play a card that can remove it.

For example: Miner of the Iron Hills http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-c...

(NB some effects cause a hero to discard an attachment they control and cannot be used to get rid of this condition, so watch out for that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way of coping with it (until a Miner of the Iron Hills can remove it) is to have a means of readying the hero with the Web before the Refresh phase (e.g., Unexpected Courage).

Thematically, I think of it as the hero was initally caught in a web, but was also poisoned by a spider bite (ala Frodo and Shelob in "The Two Towers"), so he/she isn't operating at full capacity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Grieves
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks folks! Damn sneaky spiders...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question about that, as I came across the same situation, during a fight I have reveal the Forest Spiders (CORE 96) as a Shadow card, and it's effect say : Shadow: Defending player must choose and discard 1 attachment he controls.

So can I remove the Caught in a web with it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos II
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caught in a Web is not *controlled* by the player, so you can't remove the condition. Although if the *control* word wasn't present (some cards are stated in that manner), you would be able to remove the condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan

Circle Pines
Minnesota
msg tools
ok, what if I am playing Aragorn? His card state "pay 1 resource to ready him". Which card cost do I pay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mnguy12000 wrote:
ok, what if I am playing Aragorn? His card state "pay 1 resource to ready him". Which card cost do I pay?

Aragorn's readying ability is a response, not an action. You can only pay one resource after committing Aragorn to a quest and then ready him immediately.
This response is independent of "Caught in a web". So if you ready Aragorn after committing to a quest and exhaust him during combat, he will not refresh during the Refresh Phase unless you pay two resources to rid yourself of caught in a web.
I find this one of the tricky things with that particular Treachery. You often have one or two resources that you want to use on something else and find yourself torn between saving two or leaving your hero in the web for another turn. Nasty card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwerg wrote:
[...] he will not refresh during the Refresh Phase unless you pay two resources to rid yourself of Caught in a Web.

It might look like you are saying you can discard Caught in a Web by paying 2 resources which, as you know, is not the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan

Circle Pines
Minnesota
msg tools
Zwerg wrote:
mnguy12000 wrote:

Aragorn's readying ability is a response, not an action. You can only pay one resource after committing Aragorn to a quest and then ready him immediately.
This response is independent of "Caught in a web". So if you ready Aragorn after committing to a quest and exhaust him during combat, he will not refresh during the Refresh Phase unless you pay two resources to rid yourself of Caught in a Web.
I find this one of the tricky things with that particular Treachery. You often have one or two resources that you want to use on something else and find yourself torn between saving two or leaving your hero in the web for another turn. Nasty card.

Awe missed the Quest part. Ok yeah so yu ha ve to pay 2 to refresh him so that sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
Zwerg wrote:
[...] he will not refresh during the Refresh Phase unless you pay two resources to rid yourself of Caught in a Web.

It might look like you are saying you can discard Caught in a Web by paying 2 resources which, as you know, is not the case.

You're right. Thanks! I was thinking in thematic terms rather than game mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjan Loonstra
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another way to deal with the web when you are playing Leadership is the "Steward of Gondor" attachment.
You won't be able to profit from it the way you normally would, but at least you will have the resources each round to keep that character fully functional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.