17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Board game help needed: square tiles or hexagon tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jackson Gardner

Wisconsin
msg tools
Hello, I'm creating a space themed game. It is a cooperative game and all of the players are creators of the universe. Each player will be building more space tiles such as nebulae or a galaxy. In the middle of the board is the dormant black hole and players will be building outwards from it. I can't decide wether to use hex tiles or square tiles. With square tiles I'll be able to have up to 4 players and with the hexes There can be up to 6 players. What would work best though?

Also, I was going to have a dice building mechanic. There are different types of dice for combat and you are allowed to use up to your dice hand limit per attack. Although you get to choose which dice you use. For example, if my dice limit is 5. I have a choice to use all defensive dice or 4 attack dice and 1 defensive die, ect. Although I would at least need 50 or so custom dice and I'm worried that it will increase the cost of my game by a lot. By the way, are unpainted plastic minatures or custom dice more expensive?

Overall, what do you think of my game so far? I have been working on it for a while and would love feed back. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 vote for the ever-popular-for-a-reason hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Squares tiles are easier to make for printers. But hex tiles give more flexibility and look nice too.

Lets say you were planning to release this game as PNP then squares are definitly easier to cut. But. There are easy cut patterns for hex grids now.

Lets say you were planning to self publish. Then the printer/factory you go with is the deciding factor. Some can do hexes, some cannot.

Same to a lesser degree for selling to a publisher. Most will have the fascilities to do hexes, some dont.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terren C
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hex affords one more options for placement and movement. Squares are limited in these respects (though, this can be used as a design element to force hard choices). I, too, am a fan of the hex. Thematically, a hex does a better job of representing space for the movement possibilities.

As far as $minis v. $dice. It depends, if you are going with custom minis, I'm sure the dice would be cheaper. If you are going with generic minis, it may be the other way around. Other people here should have a better idea of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meunier
United States
Woodstock
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A reason to go with hex tiles is that it's What Everyone Else Does(TM) to represent space in... space. As soon as a new player sees your map he or she will think, "Ah, yes, the canonical hex map. Understood."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexes give more choice of direction, and therefore more "realistic" paths and distances. The Game Crafter can print a couple of sizes of hex (or square) tiles, if that helps: https://community.thegamecrafter.com/publish/templates/tiles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik McGrath
msg tools
designer
I vote hexes as well. I find them much more effective in play and I personally just like them better.

Its not hard to get them printed usually if you aren't me and stick to some standard of the sizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffrey_a_meunier wrote:
A reason to go with hex tiles is that it's What Everyone Else Does(TM) to represent space in... space. As soon as a new player sees your map he or she will think, "Ah, yes, the canonical hex map. Understood."

No. Its what works for wargames. Ease of determining range, movement, etc that square grids just cannot achieve normally.

But. Squares can be arranged in a hex grid. So can rectangles.

and

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like hex tiles as they allow for more organic movement. In games where you are trying to express movement the more options the better. I think in space themes the more options for movement the better as I think we all see space travel as moving in all kinds of different directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for whichever makes more sense for the specific game and how the rules for it work. I don't think Carcassonne would have been better with hexes and I don't think Mage Knight would have been better with squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Note. Hexes are pretty useless for buildings though. Caves can be done fine. But hex gridding houses is a mess and its just cleaner and saner to go with squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qkent wrote:
Note - if you do use square tiles, diagonal moves become more valuable than orthogonal moves. This is why some games only allow orthogonal moves.

Unless, as was posted earlier, the square grid consists of every other row of squares offset half a square length from the row above it. This is often referred to as a brick pattern. This allows for the same versatility as the hex grid with regard to movement and numbers of adjacent spaces, while actually being more efficient in the use of available gameboard space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarklor wrote:
Hello, I'm creating a space themed game. It is a cooperative game and all of the players are creators of the universe. Each player will be building more space tiles such as nebulae or a galaxy. In the middle of the board is the dormant black hole and players will be building outwards from it. I can't decide wether to use hex tiles or square tiles. With square tiles I'll be able to have up to 4 players and with the hexes There can be up to 6 players. What would work best though?

Not enough information to determine an answer.

You're choosing between two traditional means of portraying 2-dimensional space to represent the 3-dimensional universe. This is the same challenge that designers of air combat games had 30 years ago: How does one govern 3-D game space on a 2-D game board?

Perhaps the solution is to use a point-to-point system as many space game, and ignore the details of distance.

Jarklor wrote:
By the way, are unpainted plastic miniatures or custom dice more expensive?

That's an apples-and-Cadillacs question, since we have no idea how many miniatures you're considering, and presuming that it isn't a choice between using miniatures and using custom dice.

In other words, is it a matter of buying unpainted miniatures OR custom dice? Or do you need both miniatures AND dice, and need to decide where to invest the extra costs?

Factors to consider about miniatures include:

- The scale of the miniatures.

- Original sculpts or off-the-shelf miniatures?

- The quantity needed

And the major question: Do you intend to publish the game yourself? If you are selling the design to a game publisher, those decisions will be in the publisher's hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Gardner

Wisconsin
msg tools
Since my game is going to be a moderate to heavy strategy game, will it be hard to publish? Which companies would be interested in producing a game like mine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarklor wrote:
Since my game is going to be a moderate to heavy strategy game, will it be hard to publish? Which companies would be interested in producing a game like mine?

Only if it's good. And if you're pleasant to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.