BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Dominion advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Axal Farley
England
flag msg tools
Hi all

I have recently gotten into Dominion, I own the base set and Dark Ages. Totally love them both to bits, but i am planning to buy a third expansion at some point in time. The question is which one? I am not concerned by Seaside as i don't find the theme appealing. I find that I am drawn between Prosperity and Intrigue. Some of the art looks ropey and some attack cards slow the game down Intrigue also I am uncertain about the coins and tray system of Prosperity, also some cards seem to be overpowered somewhat? Please help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek!

The order to buy expansions is a frequent topic covered in the forums specifically for Dominion, a search there will likely give you all the necessary information to make a decision.(I'd send a bunch of links but I'm stuck with the Saturday shift at work)

I'd go with Intrigue before Prosperity, personally. Prosperity changes the face of the game quite a bit. I'd take another look at Seaside too, it has some interesting mechanics. The theme may not do it for you; but its Dominion after all... so theme is a relative term.

Good luck!

Edited to remove a hilarious mistype of "shift".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is any consolation, you are not the first to ask:

All 158 "Which Dominion Expansion Should I Get Next?" Threads

There's some useful information in there, actually. The fact that there are soooo many opinions might also suggest something. But then, I'm not a Dominion shark like a lot of people on here--I may not have a sensitive enough sense of taste for this sort of thing.

In other news, my favorite expansion is Cornucopia just because I like how it encourages variety, but that's just me. It may not be the objectively correct answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think after Dark Ages nothing will be to crazy for you, so you should not be concerned with any mechanics.

Prosperity cards are powerful indeed, but on the other hand they are priced high as well, so this balances them. Out of those two, I'd choose Prosperity. BTW, if you totally love both base and DA, I think your question is more "what first", as most probably at some point you will end up buying all of them anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Teej Of Lockshire
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm going to have to just throw out the answer of "anything except alchemy and cornucopia." If you enjoyed the base set AND dark ages you will probably like the others about equally as much. Alchemy and cornucopia are just gimmicky rushed expansions that you should only get if you want to complete a dominion collection. I got intrigue and prosperity at the same time I don't prefer one over the other, they are just different. Flip a coin pick an expansion (that isn't alchemy and cornucopia) and grab it, you will enjoy it. Assuming you like the base set and dark ages as much as you say you do :-).

-Teej

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.