Popular Tags: [View All]
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I've got a couple of questions on the game.
The premise is that I've not played the game yet, so one of the two questions maybe has no sense for someone that already played the game:

1. Is it useful for the traitor to play Strategic orders in this game?
Just an example to make this clear: traitor has an advantage of one initiative and puts an order card on a strategic region. The imperial gets the initiative and he either bury the order or better he can put a not so good order card on top of the traitor card, thus preventing its use to him, and compelling the traitor to bury the imperial order. Then the imperial can just bury the traitor order... This was only advantageous to the imperial, since he effectively cancelled the traitor order and made the initiatives move 2 or 4 steps respectively.

2. Can thunderhawks transport titans? I can understand a certain level of abstraction in this game, but how is this possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
gixx wrote:

Yes, it's useful for both sides. Not always, and the more you can play from the strategic map the more you force your opponent to play directly from hand (and thus gain a further strategic advantage), but both sides benefit from the strategic map. Keep in mind that burying the order is something the imperial player does instead of doing something else...

(And buried orders can be rotated back to the top, too.)

gixx wrote:
2. Can thunderhawks transport titans? I can understand a certain level of abstraction in this game, but how is this possible?

Yep. Since it's not a single thunderhawk but an entire army of them, I guess they just secure ropes everywhere and lift up the titan

Now transporting primarchs, that's another matter entirely. That won't work. My guess is that the primarch refuses to enter such an un-heroic vehicle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply!

haslo wrote:
gixx wrote:

Yes, it's useful for both sides. Not always, and the more you can play from the strategic map the more you force your opponent to play directly from hand (and thus gain a further strategic advantage), but both sides benefit from the strategic map. Keep in mind that burying the order is something the imperial player does instead of doing something else...

(And buried orders can be rotated back to the top, too.)

What do you mean by "rotating" a buried order?
Do you mean the fact that you don't discard them but recycle, if they can be recycled?

Quote:
gixx wrote:

Yep. Since it's not a single thunderhawk but an entire army of them, I guess they just secure ropes everywhere and lift up the titan

Now transporting primarchs, that's another matter entirely. That won't work. My guess is that the primarch refuses to enter such an un-heroic vehicle.

That's what I feard... Honestly, I can't even imagine an IG tank army lifted by Thunderhawks, let it go a Titan! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gixx wrote:
Do you mean the fact that you don't discard them but recycle, if they can be recycled?

No, you can take an action (for 1 initiative cost) to move the top card of any stack on the strat map to the bottom of the stack. Under "Bury an Order" referenced on pages 14 and 19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
gixx wrote:

No, you can take an action (for 1 initiative cost) to move the top card of any stack on the strat map to the bottom of the stack. Under "Bury an Order" referenced on pages 14 and 19.

Oh now I understood, thanks! I don't know why but I thought that Burying an order meant discarding it. whistle
So, is it still possible for an Imperial player that plays after a Traitor player to top a strategic card with one of its own, then wait for the Traitor to bury his card, to then bury the traitor card again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, especially if the Imperial Player has a card on the Palace region (Assemble) and/or Vengeful Spirit (Boarding Action), Traitor can try to mess with them by placing one of his orders on top, forcing the Imperials to bury the top card, costing Initiative, before they can get their Assemble + BA + Assault/Onslaught (last from hand) game-winner combo executed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Yes, especially if the Imperial Player has a card on the Palace region (Assemble) and/or Vengeful Spirit (Boarding Action), Traitor can try to mess with them by placing one of his orders on top, forcing the Imperials to bury the top card, costing Initiative, before they can get their Assemble + BA + Assault/Onslaught (last from hand) game-winner combo executed.

I can see this happen (again, having never played yet), but what about a similar "combo" for the Traitor? I think that it would be impossible for him, since the Imperial can flood the Traitor Action cards on the Strategy map with his own cards, and just force the Traitor to bury Imperial cards (and then replacing them again) or force him to ignore the Strategy deck and do instant orders...
It's difficult for me to explain that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing on the strat map require carefull planning. If you base your entire strategy on executing that crucial order from the map, and your opponent place a card on top of it, yes, you are toast, unless you have a couple moves left on the initiative track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traitors don't really IMO need or even have a comparable combo. Mainly because they don't need to hit one area to win. They can try and get the Emperor, but it requires them to (usually, unless the Imperial player allows them to just move in) fight hard to get into the Outer Palace first, giving the Imps time to prepare. For the Imps, Assemble + BA + Assault/Onslaught = Imperial Victory. For the Traitors, 4 spaceports is the more common and easier way to win. Traitors have the mobility edge and usually after Bombardment and Corruption at setup, already have 3 of the 4 spaceports under their control (sometimes all 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks all for clearing my doubts. Now all that is left is for me to try and play the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.