Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Holy crap international shipping! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had seen that the USPS was raising rates on 1/27, and that happens from time to time so I didn't pay much mind to it. This change is a MASSIVE increase on international shipping. 40-60% more than it cost previously, and doubling or more for small packages to Canada.

This sucks for shipping games worldwide, and I pity any Kickstarter campaign that set up their costs before this change, cause they're going to wind up losing a lot of money. Blech!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that increased shipping will also affect the game prices on online stores and FLGs for games imported from the US...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
I feel that pain, shipping card cases round the world for me is expensive, US postal rates even now are a lot lower than UK ones

best wishes

Dave
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so bad that I get all my packages of U.S. origin sent to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY which is 30 minutes away from where I live.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow W thought they were already high, I wonder how they justify it.

Probably has something to do with no body sending letters anymore. Quick everyone send a friend a letter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Don't worry I'm still pre-ordering Expansion #3 for Innovation .

Just let me know in advance and I'll put my salary aside that week.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you will probably find their rates are simply getting in line with what the actual costs are. Most Postal Services are subsidized by government. Over the past few years Postal Serivces around the world have seen a massive descrease in their money business, letters. As more and more people use email or online banking and billing the need for mailing people stuff is going way down. It was on the back of the standard mail service that allowed things like the USPS to offer such low courier rates.

It is probably safe to say that UPS and FedEx do more shipping volume these days on "courier" packages than the USPS. So the fact that the USPS has been so cheap reflects how their rates just weren't sustainable.

One thing a lot of people over look is that on all international shipments if you ship with any courier company your package NEEDS to clear customs and you NEED to pay any applicable taxes and duties on the goods being shipped. Postal Serivces have historically been for personal use and NOT commmerical use, so people have been able to ship packages internationally without paying brokerage, taxes, and duty. Without prefered rates you can easily be paying in upwards of $45 for brokerage alone.

A lot of reports out there have said that a lot of Postal Services need to get with the times and start charging market rates or they will actually cease to be. Postal Services need mass volume and large government subsidies in order to operate, without those they bleed money. I wouldn't be shoked if you see them go even higher in the future.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's probably true that we're getting more in line with actual cost. It's a rather abrupt large spike though, and hopefully this stays stable for a while.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone would think they fly the items to their destinations in planes, or even ship them there in boats, at prices like that!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
One of the main costs with shipping the wargames I publish is the weight created by the box. Lose that and stick it in an envelope and shipping drops by half, or more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
What gets annoying is having hundreds of people want a product then find that the shipping costs as much or nearly as much as the shipping!

It's much of the reason I avoid international selling(I'll do it but it IS unfair), it's just plain wrong for those good people who want something at a decent price.

best wishes

Dave
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, like right now it's going to cost me something like $17 to ship a copy of Innovation to Europe, up from $11. It is a shame
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, man, that's a pretty hefty increase. Yuck for everyone involved.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can understand why trans-Atlantic(or trans-Pacific if you want to go the other way) shipping can involve more cost than domestic shipping. But I wonder why Canada's shipping to the U.S. is and always was so high. Maybe it's that customs inspection thing someone else had posted about. Prior to the required passport/watch-out-for-terrorists thing, rules were kind of lax about everything going across the Canadian/U.S.border. Do Canadian mail trucks have to unload their stuff at the border and then it has to be reloaded onto a U.S. mail truck? Or do Canadian mail trucks just drive to one of the big U.S. mail hubs, drop off their stuff and pick up anything headed to Canada? That sounds cost effective. Certainly no more expensive than getting something from California to New York. Does anybody know how the Canadian/U.S. method of mail exchange works?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Average sized wargame now $50 to ship from US to Canada. Seriously re-thinking one GMT P500 preorder, let me tell you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
The problem is that increased shipping will also affect the game prices on online stores and FLGs for games imported from the US...
So maybe they can finally move production and distribution from China and the US to Germany and hence things will become cheaper for us =P

(Or what about your place? You can't get deflation with the euro but if salaries went down 50% or so maybe Greece would be a nice plays to produce things in?)

Though I guess game manufacturing may not be all that labor intense?


OP: To order games from the US wasn't a viable alternative in the first place so it doesn't make any difference to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
Wow W thought they were already high, I wonder how they justify it.

Probably has something to do with no body sending letters anymore. Quick everyone send a friend a letter.
The postal ads wrapper had a contest for winning lottery tickets. All you had to do was solve a Suduko and send in the solution with the post...

What's weirder is the friendly geek girl/lady from Gothenburg who actually take a flight to the Netherlands to pick the games up in person and fly back to Sweden with them rather than pay for shipping because it's cheaper that way ..

You may wonder how that can possibly be the case but I guess that they rather fill the planes than not so as long as you can take any flight then it may be your lucky day

For postal shipments everyone get to share, there's no lucky shipments =P
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
Yeah, like right now it's going to cost me something like $17 to ship a copy of Innovation to Europe, up from $11. It is a shame
Who are you and why would you do that?

I bought Innovation from a Internet retailer here in Sweden for 149 SEK = 22-23 USD. He charges 49 SEK for shipping or free on orders over 1000 SEK.

Normal european price is 20 euro.

In both cases it's the iEllo edition rather than the other one which likely is more expensive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
angelkurisu wrote:
Yeah, like right now it's going to cost me something like $17 to ship a copy of Innovation to Europe, up from $11. It is a shame :(
Who are you and why would you do that?

I bought Innovation from a Internet retailer here in Sweden for 149 SEK = 22-23 USD. He charges 49 SEK for shipping or free on orders over 1000 SEK.

Normal european price is 20 euro.

In both cases it's the iEllo edition rather than the other one which likely is more expensive.


I am the person who runs Asmadi Games, and I would do that because that is what it costs for me to mail a copy of Innovation from the US to Europe.

And yes, the Iello edition of Innovation would cost less because they distribute from France. I was talking about Figures, specifically, which they don't have out yet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
I am the person who runs Asmadi Games, and I would do that because that is what it costs for me to mail a copy of Innovation from the US to Europe.

And yes, the Iello edition of Innovation would cost less because they distribute from France. I was talking about Figures, specifically, which they don't have out yet.
Ok, do you sell them one and one to costumers or only in bulk to retailers? Was the price you mentioned the price in bulk?

Off-topic:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The theme (name vs power and icons) is very weak in Innovation so the iEllo edition likely didn't added much, also the cards are bending themself. Cute little box though and the impression I got when I opened it the first time was a nice little production for the price.

Sadly I didn't felt much of a combo building/strategising aspect of the game :/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
angelkurisu wrote:
I am the person who runs Asmadi Games, and I would do that because that is what it costs for me to mail a copy of Innovation from the US to Europe.

And yes, the Iello edition of Innovation would cost less because they distribute from France. I was talking about Figures, specifically, which they don't have out yet.
Ok, do you sell them one and one to costumers or only in bulk to retailers? Was the price you mentioned the price in bulk?

Off-topic:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The theme (name vs power and icons) is very weak in Innovation so the iEllo edition likely didn't added much, also the cards are bending themself. Cute little box though and the impression I got when I opened it the first time was a nice little production for the price.

Sadly I didn't felt much of a combo building/strategising aspect of the game :/


My agreement with Iello is to only sell individual copies of expansions to folks outside the US, and only until Iello releases it there. Other games of ours we would sell to distributors in Europe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to check UPS and FedEX prices again...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Europe 1944/45
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
]"Over the past few years Postal Serivces around the world have seen a massive descrease in their money business, letters. As more and more people use email or online banking and billing the need for mailing people stuff is going way down. It was on the back of the standard mail service that allowed things like the USPS to offer such low courier rates."

It seems to me the decrease in letter volume would be offset by the HUGE increase in packages being shipped. Since 2000 with the explosion of on-line shopping, eBay, etc. I would think the postal service was making as much as before. That being said, anytime government gets involved in anything it will be mismanaged, inefficient and corrupt.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dahlman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I actually had a blog post about this today that I thought might be fitting for the topic: http://albinodragon.com/shipping-call-it-the-fastest-bankrup...

There are a few examples in there about why shipping is so high and a few items that have changed since yesterday.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Europe 1944/45
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dataspire wrote:
I actually had a blog post about this today that I thought might be fitting for the topic: http://albinodragon.com/shipping-call-it-the-fastest-bankrup...

There are a few examples in there about why shipping is so high and a few items that have changed since yesterday.


This was interesting reading. I actually learned something today!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.