Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rick nichols
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a couple of questions pop up regarding upgrades when one of us colonized a system and wanted to add the discovery tile to their dreadnought blueprint. At the time they had no dreadnoughts on the board:

1. Can you add an upgrade (either discovery tile or standard) to a ship blueprint if the power level is exceeded?

2. Is it okay if you have no ships of that class yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Senor Swanky wrote:
We had a couple of questions pop up regarding upgrades when one of us colonized a system and wanted to add the discovery tile to their dreadnought blueprint. At the time they had no dreadnoughts on the board:

1. Can you add an upgrade (either discovery tile or standard) to a ship blueprint if the power level is exceeded?

1. No you always need a legal build. You can set aside the tile for a latter upgrade action.

2. Yes you can always upgrade ship blueprints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No

2. Yes, assuming placing the upgrade was legal per normal rules (not exceed power, ship must have a drive)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:
1. No

2. Yes, assuming placing the upgrade was legal per normal rules (not exceed power, ship must have a drive)

Actually there is only class of ship which a player might be unable to build due to not having the right technology, and for that class the normal rules are (not exceed power, must not have a drive).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
dyepbr wrote:
1. No

Actually there is only class of ship which a player might be unable to build due to not having the right technology, and for that class the normal rules are (not exceed power, must not have a drive).

I don't consider it a ship

Something built in space and meant NOT to move, shouldn't be considered a ship, as it is aptly and correctly named what it is supposed to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick nichols
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Senor Swanky wrote:

1. No you always need a legal build. You can set aside the tile for a latter upgrade action.

2. Yes you can always upgrade ship blueprints.

So, if I understand this correctly, if you get a discovery tile from a tile you place your influence disc in, and you don't have the power to add it to one of your ships, you can set it aside and add it later when the ship has enough power. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick nichols
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Campbell
Canada
Banff
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:
dyepbr wrote:
1. No

I don't consider it a ship

Something built in space and meant NOT to move, shouldn't be considered a ship, as it is aptly and correctly named what it is supposed to be.

While I understand where you're coming from and agree with your statement, in reality, as per the lingo of the game, starbases are considered a different class of "ship".

As a "ship in Eclipse" they can be upgraded and participate in battle. Orbitals and monoliths on the other hand are "structures". They can be built and occupy board space, but they do not generally integrate upgrades or participate in battle (unless you're the Exiles; their orbitals are considered as "ships".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One question I have concerning this. Is it legal to drop already equipped ship parts to implement the new? I assume its only legal to drop the one I want to replace an not any further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Eclipse_FAQ

Quote:
Upgrade Action

Q: I can remove as many parts as I want. If I uncover a pre-printed part, does it activate?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I stack two tiles on the same place, so I can upgrade by removing one later?
A: No, this is explicitly forbidden by the rules (on p13) -- "When placing the tiles,
you may place the tiles on top of any of the printed starting Ship Parts on your Ship blueprints, but not on top of other Ship Part tiles."

Q: Can I upgrade starbases even if I don't have any built? Or if I don't have Starbase technology?
A: Yes. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/743338/can-you-upgradere...

So no restrictions on "dropping" parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also not sure that starbases can't move. Maybe they have intrasystem flight capability. That would help explain why they have such high initiative. And there are defnitely examples of moving starbases in science fiction...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a race specifically built around mobile starbases (a la, the death star).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
talusproteus wrote:
I'd like to see a race specifically built around mobile starbases (a la, the death star).

Variant Race: Langols of Chronomus (WIP) - 1.1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
talusproteus wrote:

Variant Race: Langols of Chronomus (WIP) - 1.1

That's pretty cool (very unique concept and I'll be interested to see how the world eating concept plays out in testing).

That being said, the concept I was thinking of was patterned more after the Empire from Star Wars as opposed to the Langoliers. I was thinking of a race that has interceptors (tie fighters) and Dreadnoughts (Imperial Starships) but no cruisers. Instead they have mobile Starbases (Death Stars) with an additional slot for Docking Bay tech and maybe a better cannon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.