Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do all editions of this game include the type of minis you need to glue together yourself, or have newer editions fixed that and provided pre-assembled minis?

Just curious, because this game looked very interesting to me and then I heard folks talking about having to glue/paint the minis, which seemed crazy to me and was a total deal-breaker...so I was wondering if that was just like the first or prototype edition or something, since other comparable games on the market don't require that level of intense assembly and come in at around the same price. Are there upgraded or "deluxe" editions that don't require assembly? Are the do-it-yourself minis only in the early editions?

I don't really care that much if the minis are painted....painted is nice of course, but I'm fine playing with solid-color plastic since most games I own don't come with painted minis anyway. It is the gluing that I absolutely can't stand. I was really surprised when I heard that about this game, since it seemed to play like something designed for a casual/videogamer sort of consumer and yet it required the miniature dedication of a hardcore gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main game still requires assembly. It doesn't require you to be a hardcore gamer or have a lot of experience as they are quite simple but it will take a few hours. The first expansion (Caverns of Roxor) comes pre-assembled and I think they are planning to go the same way with the as yet unreleased Galuerdoom Moor. All of the miniatures come unpainted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a miniatures guy at all but didnt really find it too hard to put them together really (the Hardest being the biggest one, Starfire the dragon). Like the last poster said, the original game was in pieces, but my Caverns of Roxor expansion had them all assembled.

TBH I know at the time I did have to "sit down" and set time aside to work on assembly, but at this point i've totally forgotten bout it and dont even remember it was even "a thing" until I see posts like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks all.

If they are releasing expansions pre-assembled maybe future editions of the base game will follow suit. I'll hold off until that happens then...I don't care if it takes me five minutes or five hours, I ain't gluing miniatures together unless I'm paid to do so...and it would have to be good solid pay at that! Also I bet my glue-work would be insanely fugly.

Seems like a very, very odd decision in this day and age of boxes full of assembled plastic goodness. I wonder how many people buy the game without realizing that they're going to need to work for it? If I hadn't overheard other gamers talking about it I probably would have dropped the cash and then had to argue to return it or sold it for a loss. Checking the box to see if a game requires model glue is not a concern that crosses my brain....I guess now I need to add that to the list of things to look for in new purchases!

Thanks again guys...planning a big game purchase soon and this helps eliminate one option from the list of choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that they won't be releasing a version that is pre-built. I think your best bet would just be to find somebody to make them for you as you'd be missing out on a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Thanks all.

If they are releasing expansions pre-assembled maybe future editions of the base game will follow suit. I'll hold off until that happens then...I don't care if it takes me five minutes or five hours, I ain't gluing miniatures together unless I'm paid to do so...and it would have to be good solid pay at that! Also I bet my glue-work would be insanely fugly.

Seems like a very, very odd decision in this day and age of boxes full of assembled plastic goodness. I wonder how many people buy the game without realizing that they're going to need to work for it? If I hadn't overheard other gamers talking about it I probably would have dropped the cash and then had to argue to return it or sold it for a loss. Checking the box to see if a game requires model glue is not a concern that crosses my brain....I guess now I need to add that to the list of things to look for in new purchases!

Thanks again guys...planning a big game purchase soon and this helps eliminate one option from the list of choices.

Its because of the crossover that a lot of miniature hobbyist / producers are making into boardgames in my opinion. Since purchasing Super Dungeon Explore and my addiction to Kickstarter-ing games now ive noticed there are quite a few games coming out not assembled. It helps with both painting and cleaning up pieces for people who would like to also paint their models as well as pose-ability in some cases.

I for one don't mind it at all despite being more a gamer myself, but I definitely understand the frustration that board gamers who aren't miniaturists would have.

But yeh like you said, any board game nowadays that has more detailed miniatures I would say would be at least worth a look to see if they are non assembled just to be safe.

--------------------------------

Its too bad tho that the assembly is what is keeping you from the game. If you like the art design of the game (which I personally love) it makes for a pretty fun "hack and slash" kind of dungeon run game that's not super stat bogged and is easy for ppl to pick up.

I thought I saw a thread somewhere too bout people being paid to assemble them... maybe commission someone?

Either way, hope that helps with your decision making process!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in with the rest, it's not so terribly cumbersome to glue these up that you should miss this game. It really is a good one and your hope that sometime they will come pre-assembled in the base game is not a likely one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverns of Roxor wasn't 100% pre-assembled either. There were still a few I needed to put together.

Truth be known, the putting together of the minis wasn't that cumbersome. A few were abit of a pain, but not any more so than a 1/144 th scale model plane.

I found putting the stickers on my Commands & Colors set was waaaayyyy more painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LFITQ wrote:
Caverns of Roxor wasn't 100% pre-assembled either. There were still a few I needed to put together.

Truth be known, the putting together of the minis wasn't that cumbersome. A few were abit of a pain, but not any more so than a 1/144 th scale model plane.

I found putting the stickers on my Commands & Colors set was waaaayyyy more painful.

The very thought of assembling a 1/144th scale model plane is enough to make me run in terror. I'm pretty sure one of the levels of my personal hell will involve such things as a warm up to later tortures...."Here, kindly assemble this small torture device with model glue and paint before I stick it in your eye and start the gouging process."

I once, years ago before I knew better, found a store that sold tons of Warhammer stuff. I made the mistake of asking the clerk where the pre-painted, pre-assembled units were, because I was thinking of getting into the game. After he finished audibly rolling his eyes, I received one of the bigger nerd-rage lectures ever...complete with yelling after me as I backed out of the store. A shame too, because I would love to get into miniature gaming like that but have zero interest in model building...lame that they go hand in hand so often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection I see you have Star Wars PocketModel TCG. I would say putting SDE miniatures together is less difficult than putting those together. Except for Starfire and Ember Mage. They can be pains.

But I truly do understand the frustration. You will shell out some big $$ for this game, it comes in a relatively crappy box (tell me it's not flimsy compared to other games at this price point), and you have to pre-assemble all the pieces with glue before you can even begin to figure out how to play the damned game!

I happen to like building models, so I was ok with it. But my kids kept nagging me "can we learn how to play yet?" All throughout the build time and then letting the pieces sit overnight to dry...

Yeah it was another week after buying before I could do a play test (with work and life getting in the way).

But the game was pretty cool in the end. Just needs a much better rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Loviska

Zeeland
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing the painting and gluing at the same time, so it's taking me awhile to get done. If I weren't doing it that way, and wanted the solid plastic models, I think I could get this glued in an hour tops. I haven't come across any figures that were very hard yet, and I've got all the heroes together + starfire and dragon spawn point.

I'm really glad that it comes in different parts, because it makes it so much easier to paint. It would be impossible to get behind some of those weapons if they came put together, and the paint jobs would look awful. I guess it's your loss for being too lazy to spend an hour and $5 for some superglue. I certainly wouldn't let that be the thing that stopped me from getting a game that looked interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assembly is a one-off deal, and only Starfire is tricky to put together. All the other figures are very easy. Surely there's someone in your game group who would be willing to do the assembly for you, if you are so adverse to it?

- J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HunterZer0 wrote:
Assembly is a one-off deal, and only Starfire is tricky to put together. All the other figures are very easy. Surely there's someone in your game group who would be willing to do the assembly for you, if you are so adverse to it?

- J
This.

I will add to expect four to five hours of assembly time. You will want to sort out the pieces and be sure of which part goes where prior to gluing. Matching up the tails is the hardest part of the kobolds/dragons. You need to be careful with the heroes just because they are all unique sculpts. Is it hard? Not really (except Starfire), but saying it only takes an hour is misleading from my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fograsher wrote:
HunterZer0 wrote:

- J
This.

I will add to expect four to five hours of assembly time. You will want to sort out the pieces and be sure of which part goes where prior to gluing. Matching up the tails is the hardest part of the kobolds/dragons. You need to be careful with the heroes just because they are all unique sculpts. Is it hard? Not really (except Starfire), but saying it only takes an hour is misleading from my experience.

And I would say this goes to the other extreme, it took me about 2 1/2 - 3 hours to put them all together and that was with breaks. I do have a little miniature experience but I am certainly not an expert at gluing/painting minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HunterZer0 wrote:

- J

There's not. I don't have any model-builders in my group. I think somebody's girlfriend is into some sort of gluey/painty crafts, but I don't imagine she could be coerced into this sort of thing.

Joemamma44 wrote:
I guess it's your loss for being too lazy to spend an hour and $5 for some superglue. I certainly wouldn't let that be the thing that stopped me from getting a game that looked interesting to me.

Not a matter of laziness...a matter of gaming and model-building being two different things, and me having zero interest (and actually a strong dislike of) the former. Might as well accuse someone of being lazy because they enjoy sports but not stitching baseballs together.

LFITQ wrote:
Looking at your collection I see you have Star Wars PocketModel TCG. I would say putting SDE miniatures together is less difficult than putting those together. Except for Starfire and Ember Mage. They can be pains.

This reminds me that I really need to update my collection and wishlist sometime. I have some of that Star Wars game (and the similar Pirates game) but have never liked assembling the flimsy ships...honestly the last batch someone gave me I don't even think I assembled. Lately I've actually sold-off/traded a few of the bits, as my recently acquired copy of X-Wing miniatures is much more fun. Still looking for a better Pirate game to replace that Spanish Main one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
HunterZer0 wrote:

- J

There's not. I don't have any model-builders in my group. I think somebody's girlfriend is into some sort of gluey/painty crafts, but I don't imagine she could be coerced into this sort of thing.

Well, if you happened to live anywhere near Ann Arbor, MI, I would happily glue them together for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some modeling experience and it took me about 4-5 hours to glue everything together. It was not a particularly fun experience and I was glad to find out that expansions were going to be pre-glued from CoR onwards.

I really like SDE, enough that I have bought every expansion to date including ordering the Relic Knights promos, and painting everything I have. That said, I completely understand why many gamers who just want to play get turned off of gluing hundreds of small bits together first. Unfortunately, I doubt a base game will ever be released pre-assembled as SPM likely already has a stock of product made and packaged as is. Thus anyone interested in SDE will have to decide if they are willing to overcome the hurdle of assembling the first set. The only alternative is you could try to buy a used copy which would like come with the figures put together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan K
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've never had any miniature gaming experience before, but I knew that the main game wasn't assembled before I bought it. It probably did take me 4-5 hours spread out over a few days to assemble. Mostly that was because i had to go out and get super glue GEL, and a hobby knife. It really wasn't a bad experience however. The pieces are fun and detailed.

I can understand that some of the pieces are due to cost cutting measures, but seriously... many of the small pieces should have been attached in the mold itself. I don't understand why some of the kobolds have separate upper and lower body pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fograsher wrote:
jcb231 wrote:
HunterZer0 wrote:

- J

Well, if you happened to live anywhere near Ann Arbor, MI, I would happily glue them together for you.

Damn you geography!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Joemamma44 wrote:
I guess it's your loss for being too lazy to spend an hour and $5 for some superglue. I certainly wouldn't let that be the thing that stopped me from getting a game that looked interesting to me.

Not a matter of laziness...a matter of gaming and model-building being two different things, and me having zero interest (and actually a strong dislike of) the former. Might as well accuse someone of being lazy because they enjoy sports but not stitching baseballs together.

Yeh no when I saw this I thought that was kind of harsh... I wouldnt have called it lazy at all. Its totally your perogative to not want to have to put them together at all and is a valid stance.

Again tho, its too bad there is no way around this one thing because the game itself is pretty fun in my opinion (just enough character difference and "roleplay" but not as intensive as anything like a D&D type game).

Hopefully an opportunity will come along for you to get to play it sometime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
fograsher wrote:
jcb231 wrote:
HunterZer0 wrote:

- J

Damn you geography!

Funny, I was going to make the same offer and I live in Michigan too, us Michiganders must be nice folk that don't mind gluing stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ZillaGod wrote:
jcb231 wrote:
fograsher wrote:
jcb231 wrote:
HunterZer0 wrote:

- J

Damn you geography!

Funny, I was going to make the same offer and I live in Michigan too, us Michiganders must be nice folk that don't mind gluing stuff

Michigan, fabled land of milk and honey and glue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Götz Kirchhauser
Germany
flag msg tools
I would volunteer too, but live in Germany...

But honestly, look at who produces/distributes the game:

Soda Pop Miniatures and Cool Mini Or Not

Both of them are primarily miniatures companies who primarily cater to painters/collectors. Do you have any idea, what pain it is to paint small miniatures that come preassembled on relatively big bases? So better don't count on it to happen.

On a sidenote be happy, Warhammer didn't work out for you. If you're not into modelling/painting that's not the hobby for you. Warhammer and Warhammer 40K both have really good mini's and great fluff. But from a player-perspective both systems leave a lot to be desired (especially in the department of balancing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah but cool mini or not (terrible company name, by the way) produced the fully-assembled Zombicide game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In fairness to them they did start out as simply a miniatures viewing website so just ripped off hotornot.com And they didn't produce fully assembled miniatures for Zombicide. They produced one piece miniatures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.