Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm going to be designing art and minor rules for existing pieces of a pre-existing-now-dead game (Dragon Dice by TSR), would I put it in "Variants" of the game or since I'm making rules and artwork should I leave it in Game Design?

I want to make a new game, but some of the dice themselves demand the same use of the way the dice work...I hope I explained that correctly.

I don't mean to bog down the board with too many posts that just engorge the site with useless information but at the same time I don't think its right to post something in the wrong location either.

EDIT: I plan on making a PNP and open to the community, I don't plan on selling it or trying to make any profit by it....just putting out art and minor rules to make these pieces useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you are making a new game then you cannot use the same dice patterns as the original since the game is still in print. You will need new art and new patterns.

Example. The dragon is laid out such that if you dissassemble it and lay it flat, it looks like a dragon. Same goes for the regular dice. The specific pattern is likely protected.

Not so much a problem if this is a PnP fan endeavor. But if you plan on selling it then no. Work out ways of getting the same effect without flat out copying it. One reason being that it is still in print and people will be reluctant to pick up a possibly cheap knock-off or an unknown.

As said. Really depends on what you want to do with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I dont plan on selling it, just using the dice people probably still have in their closets to make them USEFUL lol.

It will be purely PNP and I wont be "making dice" for the game, just the supporting material around it, which I wont charge for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else did simmilar with Chaos Progenitus and rethemed it into a wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The mechanic for how Dragon Dice work has been used many times now. "Claws" inflict damage when rolling for damage while "feet" produce movement when trying to move, etc. It's been used for many games.

Now, if you are referring to using the actual Dragon Dice themselves or re-creating that exact artwork, then you have a problem. That's just... wrong.

But the basic mechanics of using dice in this fashion has been used by many games, and not just dice games, but other games that use d6s and don't want to use tables to provide the results.

I think Elder Sign, for example, uses dice in this way. When you perform an action to look for clues, you want to roll little manifying glass icons on the dice.

I've never played it, but I'm sure Quarriors works this way. And different dice have different possible facing results and represent different types of creatures that are better at some actions than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

The mechanic for how Dragon Dice work has been used many times now. "Claws" inflict damage when rolling for damage while "feet" produce movement when trying to move, etc. It's been used for many games.

Now, if you are referring to using the actual Dragon Dice themselves or re-creating that exact artwork, then you have a problem. That's just... wrong.

But the basic mechanics of using dice in this fashion has been used by many games, and not just dice games, but other games that use d6s and don't want to use tables to provide the results.

Yeah, my intention is only to provide rules to how the units are used, hexes with artwork for people to print up and paste onto a sheet in order for them to provide alternative playing boards, and minor movement rules on the interaction with these boards.

I have no intention of of messing with the actual art on the dice at all....why mess them up when alternative rules can easily be made for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New uses for the dice is good.

I've bounced around ideas on how Dragon Dice could be made into an pseudo-RPG style dungeon crawler. Just need the free time from other projects to hammer on it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.