7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which is the better 2 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been contemplating buying either Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar or Village. I play games mainly with my wife and wonder which would be the better 2 player game. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may not be as qualified as some others to answer this (having played each game exactly once), but I think The Village would be a better game for 2. The magic of Tzol'kin appears to vaporize when played with 2, as options are too easily available and the game does not feel very tense. The Village was more interesting (to me at least) as a 2-player. If I were playing with 3 or 4, I would pick Tzol'kin, because the need to plan your actions in advance would be critical to your success. The Village would be a lot of fun with 3 or 4, but it does not have quite as many options and paths to victory as Tzol'kin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian. Is Village even worth getting as a 2 player game or would it be a big waste of money? My wife and I like playing Castles of Burgundy as a 2 player game and want something else we might enjoy. Village looked interesting from what I could see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb
I love tzolkin as a two player, you have to fill the spots on the wheel where the phantom other two players block random spaces on all the wheels!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:
I love tzolkin as a two player, you have to fill the spots on the wheel where the phantom other two players block random spaces on all the wheels!

I agree. My wife and I love The Castles of Burgundy as a 2-player game and feel the same way about Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. The blocked spaces on the wheels are different each game and it works well. I would recommend you pick up Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. We also have Village and although a good game, it doesn't make it to the table near as much (especially for 2-players).

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too keen on Tzolk'in, but I haven't gotten Village to the table yet. Are you open to other suggestions? How about Glen More? My wife and I enjoy it as a two-player game -- and it scales up to five. It's roughly in the same weight class as Castles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Village and Tzolk'in, but haven't yet plaed Tzolk'in. However, I have played Village 2, 3, and 4 players and liked it with every player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.