Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Marshall
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a rules set as clear and straight forward as FG's, when I get stuck on an interpretation after gliding along, I usually assume it's just me.

So....is it me?

Waterloo Exclusive Rules, 12.3 and 12.4, Forced Marching/Rally. The rule has to do with the Allied side having to spend 1 Morale Point for either Anglo-Dutch or Prussian, or 2 Points for all.

So why include the second bullet point in each for the French side? They are governed by the normal General Rulebook, no?

The inclusion of the phrasing "All French units also have their Movement Allowance increased by one (+1) for this turn" (my highlighting) adds just a bit more to the second-guessing of the meaning.

We've been playing it as though the French bullet points are redundancies of the General Rulebook's 12.3 and 12.4.

Is this correct, or is there something we're missing about the French Army Morale in Waterloo's Exclusive Rules?

Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
badge
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you remind me about it, that one bugged me too. Once it gets answered, I hope the clarification gets added to the list at the top of this thread: Clarifications & Errata

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas

Here's the short & sweet answer until Lance our Developer comes in for the Official answer.

Yes it's redundant for the French in the Exclusive rules but since the British & Prussians are governed by different special rules for each it's better to include the French in there also.

Better to have them listed than leave them out and questions asked if the French are allowed to do so in each which surely would happen.
The norm is basically if one side is different in the Exclusive rules than the Standard rules for Force March/Rally than both get listed to show the full effects even if one side is redundant and the other isn't.

So No you're not missing anything with the French

Hope that helped some

Kim Meints
Napoleonic20 Designer & Playtester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
badge
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
mbmbmbmbmb
jackiesavon wrote:
Better to have them listed than leave them out and questions asked if the French are allowed to do so in each which surely would happen.

But the default is the standard rule for anything not specifically changed in the scenario rules. I think the way it's worded is more likely to raise questions than forestall them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To understand the rationale behind why the wording of the bullets for Exclusive rules [12.3] and [12.4] are the way there are, you have to remember that 'Waterloo 20' was the first game in the series.

During initial playtesting there was concern that players might be confused by the fact that the Allies have to expend morale separately for their two armies (British & Prussian) while the French only have to expend it once for their entire force. The fact that the French often operate in the game (as they did historically) in two fairly distinct groups (one facing off against each of the Allied armies) had the developer (Alan Emrich) thinking that inexperienced players might thereby assume that therefore the French too would presumably have their morale expenditures divided between these two "fronts." The fact that the Exclusive rules emphasized that Allied morale was handled differently for this particular game thus meant (to Alan's thinking) that the rules also needed to empahsize that the French morale expenditures were still governed by the Standard rules.

While the Standard rules have undergone two full revisions, and the Exclusive rules have been revised once, that particular rule has been retained. In retrospect, that second (French) bullet could probably be deleted without any loss of clarity (perhaps even an improvement in clarity). But the rule was retained "as is" because 'Waterloo 20' is pretty much unique in the entire series having the morale status of two different armies monitored on a single track, so some additional emphasis to highlight this potentially confusing situation is still felt to be appropriate.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Marshall
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks Kim and Lance - I understand the rationale better now. I started the series with VPG's 2nd ed. of Waterloo 20, and wasn't thinking of the lineage from the original design. I appreciate the detailed explanation, Lance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas

Thats why Lance is our Silver Tongue developer-The good indepth explanations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jackiesavon wrote:
Silver Tongue developer

Layman's definition: bullshit artist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats why the very best get the top jobslaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.