Subject: Tunnel vs Jester rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
Tunnel states that if you discard it for any reason other than in clean-up you gain a gold. However Jester says that you receive a curse for victory point cards. Which takes precedence or do both things happen - gain a curse and a gold?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Earthworm wrote:
Tunnel states that if you discard it for any reason other than in clean-up you gain a gold. However Jester says that you receive a curse for victory point cards. Which takes precedence or do both things happen - gain a curse and a gold?

Thanks,

Both happen.

Jester specifies a number of things that happen in sequence, so:
- He discards the top card of his deck (it happens to be a Tunnel)
Because he's discarding a Tunnel he may reveal it and get a Gold - the Reaction interrupts Jester's effect.
- Because it is a Victory card he gains a Curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-Alice plays Jester
-Alice gets +$2
-Bob discards the top card from his deck (Tunnel)
--Bob may choose to reveal Tunnel to gain a Gold
-The card Bob discarded was a Victory card, so Bob gains a Curse

Resolving Tunnel's reaction effect sort of makes resolving Jester pause for a moment, but it doesn't prevent it from finishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys, this helps. I'm not sure if I want this to happen or not, the gold sounds good but....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Earthworm wrote:
Thanks, guys, this helps. I'm not sure if I want this to happen or not, the gold sounds good but....

Well, Jester hitting a Tunnel sure is better for you than it hitting a Province/Estate, where you'd just get the Curse

Of course, if you don't have anything to discard Tunnel with yourself (like Embassy), I would not recommend it as a defense against Jester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's probably about the best thing that can happen when your opponent plays Jester. If you reveal something better, they get a good card, and you're down. If you reveal something worse or another victory card, you get something bad, and you're down. Here, your opponent has no choice, and you get something that's overall not bad. Getting a silver hit might just be better, but I dunno, getting a dead card off deck instead of a silver is a pretty nice secondary benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Earthworm wrote:

When you say that you aren't sure if you want it to happen:

If you mean to say that you would prefer if the Tunnel didn't let your opponent get a Gold when hit by your Jester, naturally you wouldn't want it to happen. Reaction cards have a knack for discouraging Attacks. For some, that's the entire purpose of the Reaction. For others, it just makes for more interesting decisions (compared to whether you'd want to play Jesters in a game that didn't have Tunnels).

If you mean to say that you aren't sure you'd want to take a Gold when Jester hits your Tunnel, you aren't required to. Tunnel doesn't make anyone take Gold -- it allows someone to take Gold. That's a good card for the Jester player to hit next time, but it is still often good for you (or you might not want Tunnels in the first place). If you are playing a heavy action deck with the perfect amount of money in it, feel free to skip the Gold gain from your Tunnels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.