Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » General

Subject: Translation issues....are they fixed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am very interested in this game, but I have a very low tolerance for poor rules/card translations. I played the first English printing once, and I and most of the other players felt it seemed kind of shoddy with regards to the language.

Has Z-man fixed that in the 2nd English printing? If so, is there any specific indicator on the box that I should look for to make sure I'm getting a game that feels like it was written by, or at least proof-read by, a native English speaker?

Zombicide really bugged my group too...seems like a bad year for poor translations.

Have things changed in Z-man's second English edition?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess they are working on it.
But then again, it has not been published yet, so...
...you probably have to wait a bit for an answer...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hmm, yeah its reports like this that worry me. I think I'm going to hold off pre-ordering, check back once the dust settles and see how its doing then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why but I thought the language issues in Robinson Crusoe were more charming than interfering. I wouldn't hold off on buying the game over it because it's a great game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another (recent) thread where the designer said Z-Man was emailing him whenever they wanted to change wording around in the rulebook. So it it will at least be a little different, though how well it's interpreted we'll have to wait a couple months to find out I suppose.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah translation issues are really not troublesome at all, unless you allow them to bother you and I would agree they are charming overall, like:

"Ocean is in a bad mood today"

The real issue is all the unanswered questions that arise when you are playing. The FAQ helps, but is not complete and needs better organization. Overall the rules are good I would say, and far batter than older Portal games, but during play-testing all the questions that came out were not noted down and then consequently not answered later in rules thus the issues.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah the need for a FAQ and lots of rule-consulting is also troubling.

I don't find poor translations charming in most cases....unless they are very over-the-top and/or intentional with the intention to be funny.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Christine Biancheria wrote:
I don't know why but I thought the language issues in Robinson Crusoe were more charming than interfering. I wouldn't hold off on buying the game over it because it's a great game.


But if another version is coming (and it seems to be) why buy now when I could buy later and have all the mistakes and rules issues fixed for me?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Christine Biancheria wrote:
I don't know why but I thought the language issues in Robinson Crusoe were more charming than interfering. I wouldn't hold off on buying the game over it because it's a great game.


But if another version is coming (and it seems to be) why buy now when I could buy later and have all the mistakes and rules issues fixed for me?


Sounds like in your case, you should wait for the new version.

For me, I think the original version is fantastic. I don't have a single complaint with the translations and I'm super happy that I have the game now.

Great game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Translations aren't too bad "nearest" instead of "next" that type of thing. The major flaw of this game is also the reason why it is interesting. There are a lot of card effects, items, and scenerios. So many of them are different and cause special things to happen. This creates the adventure, you don't know what's coming next.
The trouble is that the rules don't explain all the things that can happen in the game, so you have to thumb through a rule book that doesn't have the answers to your questions. Then you look on BGG for the answer and pretty soon you look around and all the other people you are playing with are totally bored.
This game is so thematic that you need to set the pace and keep the adventure going. If you stop to read the rules it really destroys the mood. Hopefully this will be fixed in the reprint. If not then hopefully someone will make a really good FAQ.
Stupid things like resolving "spending the night outside of camp" and in the scenario volcano island, if the lava destroys a part of the island that doesn't have an island tile (unexplored space), what do you do? Do you take a tile from the stack and put it face down on the lava space, can you use the explorer's special ability to make sure the tile messed up by lava is the one you want, do you not place a tile at all and just not go to that unexplored space? If a tile that has ash on it gets covered with lava does the ash token go away? In the rules it says that tokens on island spaces that are made "inaccessible" are removed, but does it work with ash? Can I place ash on the volcano itself?

Devil is in the details.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
botanybob wrote:
Translations aren't too bad "nearest" instead of "next" that type of thing. The major flaw of this game is also the reason why it is interesting. There are a lot of card effects, items, and scenerios. So many of them are different and cause special things to happen. This creates the adventure, you don't know what's coming next.
The trouble is that the rules don't explain all the things that can happen in the game, so you have to thumb through a rule book that doesn't have the answers to your questions. Then you look on BGG for the answer and pretty soon you look around and all the other people you are playing with are totally bored.
This game is so thematic that you need to set the pace and keep the adventure going. If you stop to read the rules it really destroys the mood. Hopefully this will be fixed in the reprint. If not then hopefully someone will make a really good FAQ.
Stupid things like resolving "spending the night outside of camp" and in the scenario volcano island, if the lava destroys a part of the island that doesn't have an island tile (unexplored space), what do you do? Do you take a tile from the stack and put it face down on the lava space, can you use the explorer's special ability to make sure the tile messed up by lava is the one you want, do you not place a tile at all and just not go to that unexplored space? If a tile that has ash on it gets covered with lava does the ash token go away? In the rules it says that tokens on island spaces that are made "inaccessible" are removed, but does it work with ash? Can I place ash on the volcano itself?

Devil is in the details.


Ouch. Yeah I will wait on this for certain....there is bound to be a better rulebook, FAQ, and translation that deals with all those kinds of issues.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.