Subject: Skill cards discard pile, open or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has likely been answered before and the answer is likely that skill cards discard piles go face up.

But I just want to make sure, so: Do they?

The obvious issue is of course if you're an unrevealed (if revealed I guess it may not affect you in the first place) cylon and should discard cards then you can't discard cards which would be seen as pretty good cards to keep.

Or well, you can. But it won't be very awesome if you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep - face up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hand Limit and Discarding, page 15 wrote:
Whenever a player discards a Skill Card, it is placed in a discard pile faceup next to the appropriate Skill deck. When a deck runs out of Skill Cards, the discard pile is shuffled to
create a new Skill deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's rather unconvient to ask.

"Do I need to play them face up?"

"Should they really ...?"

Thanks. We likely already knew this, but I somewhat browsed the rules but couldn't find it then I did (Though I checked in the skills check area.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sansone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another reason the skill card discard piles need to be face up (if playing with Pegasus) is that revealed Cylons need to be able to see if a human or unrevealed Cylon discards a Treachery card, which may lead to a consequence depending on what cards a revealed Cylon is holding at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guestid1250 wrote:
Another reason the skill card discard piles need to be face up (if playing with Pegasus) is that revealed Cylons need to be able to see if a human or unrevealed Cylon discards a Treachery card, which may lead to a consequence depending on what cards a revealed Cylon is holding at the time.
Sadly no-one discarded any which I noticed and no-one made any skill check reckless either

Treachery don't seem to have much effect and seem to be easily handled. Personally I'd rather draw extra pilot or engineering cards as Cylon than treachery I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Treachery as written can be pretty toothless, which is why so many of us houserule stuff for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Treachery has a slightly lower average value than non-treachery cards, and doesn't deprive the humans of a useful card, but it's always negative, while any other colour is positive for at least some of the checks you want to sabotage.

The biggest problem with treachery isn't that its effect on the game is subtle, but that people expect it to have a bigger impact than it does - it helps balance Reckless effects (without the Treachery, the only downside would be using a card for effect rather than for value) and offers revealed Cylons more options for actions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Treachery as written can be pretty toothless, which is why so many of us houserule stuff for it.
Got any suggestion / link?
rmsgrey wrote:
Treachery has a slightly lower average value than non-treachery cards, and doesn't deprive the humans of a useful card, but it's always negative, while any other colour is positive for at least some of the checks you want to sabotage.

The biggest problem with treachery isn't that its effect on the game is subtle, but that people expect it to have a bigger impact than it does - it helps balance Reckless effects (without the Treachery, the only downside would be using a card for effect rather than for value) and offers revealed Cylons more options for actions...
Yeah. But it's not like I will play the cards as positive contributions in a skill check as a revealed cylon anyway =P, and as a revealed one as such I may prefer to pick piloting and engineering instead since they work as negative cards in most skill checks (engineering more risky so hence rather piloting) but have a higher value in general than treachery.

As an unrevealed cylon I can see contributing some treachery and it will be less obvious than playing a red card as a pilot at least .. , and if everyone has received treachery then it's not very obvious (which remind me we got to discard cards and as such if you had played it earlier and then don't discard your treachery this may be a "WTF?" =P) "I better keep it for later if I become a cylon"? =P

As a human I suppose you can easily enough get rid of it without playing it.

Can't say I know how many options they offer the cylons but the one I saw (replace movement with putting it into the destiny deck) don't seem all that powerful anyway because people will know what it is and that it's negative which is less powerful than playing an unknown card within their skill check. And possibly even get to do that last of all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
oriecat wrote:
Got any suggestion / link?
rmsgrey wrote:

Yeah. But it's not like I will play the cards as positive contributions in a skill check as a revealed cylon anyway =P, and as a revealed one as such I may prefer to pick piloting and engineering instead since they work as negative cards in most skill checks (engineering more risky so hence rather piloting) but have a higher value in general than treachery.

As an unrevealed cylon I can see contributing some treachery and it will be less obvious than playing a red card as a pilot at least .. , and if everyone has received treachery then it's not very obvious (which remind me we got to discard cards and as such if you had played it earlier and then don't discard your treachery this may be a "WTF?" =P) "I better keep it for later if I become a cylon"? =P

As a human I suppose you can easily enough get rid of it without playing it.

Can't say I know how many options they offer the cylons but the one I saw (replace movement with putting it into the destiny deck) don't seem all that powerful anyway because people will know what it is and that it's negative which is less powerful than playing an unknown card within their skill check. And possibly even get to do that last of all.

Bold is the main reason it's so weak. 'Each player draws a treachery' basically means 'Each player may move between ships once for free' with the current rules - even if there's a revealed Cylon, they'll probably only be able to sabotage once, if that.

The usual houserule is, whenever a human player discards treachery, it's shuffled into the destiny deck. This makes destiny a little more dangerous, and with it it makes treachery a little harder to get rid of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.