Mark Pollard
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really about the BGG iPhone app:

I am looking at the daunting task of updating my board game inventory; I've kinda let it slide for the past several purchases.

What if I could just truck along, scanning UPCs with my smartphone, and have that automatically update my "own" list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The BGG iPhone app is by a 3rd party - you would need to contact them directly for feature requests.

Right now there is no official BGG app, although one is planned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I hope they invest their time on the site in general, rather than the subset of users who would access it via smartphone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Personally, I hope they invest their time on the site in general, rather than the subset of users who would access it via smartphone.

Accessing the internet from your phone is here to stay, and will only get more popular in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly. But accessing BGG on full-screen computers has been around a long time and will remain popular as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pollard
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes you think they can only work on one or the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtpoll wrote:
What if I could just truck along, scanning UPCs with my smartphone, and have that automatically update my "own" list?

The smallest part of the work would be to add an UPC field to the boardgame version information (not to the game itself, very often different versions will have different UPCs).

Oh wait, make that two fields. Most game have either an UPC number, or an EAN number, but i've seen boxes that have two different barcodes.

Then, 'sombody' needs to fill in the UPC for all (or many) board games / board game versions. That's the big task.

After that, it would be possible to implement the task you're asking for.
Except for cases where several games share the same UPC. At least in germany, you have to pay a licence fee to get such a number. Thus, small companies reused the UPC of out-of-print games for new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
mtpoll wrote:

The smallest part of the work would be to add an UPC field to the boardgame version information (not to the game itself, very often different versions will have different UPCs).

Oh wait, make that two fields. Most game have either an UPC number, or an EAN number, but i've seen boxes that have two different barcodes.

Then, 'sombody' needs to fill in the UPC for all (or many) board games / board game versions. That's the big task.

After that, it would be possible to implement the task you're asking for.
Except for cases where several games share the same UPC. At least in germany, you have to pay a licence fee to get such a number. Thus, small companies reused the UPC of out-of-print games for new games.

Why not do it like this: A game can have any number of UPCs associated with it. When a user scans a UPC, they are presented with a list of all games that have been associated with that UPC before (sorted in order of how many times other users have chosen that particular game).

If no user has ever scanned that game before, then the user has to manually enter the game. So the large data entry is now divided up among all users- whoever scans a game first does it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Werbaer wrote:

The most general solution would be to allow multiple product codes to be attached to each version, and the same product code to be attached to multiple versions. Then people could start accumulating barcode-to-version correspondences.

That data would be really useful for smartphone apps, whether official or third-party. Just have a screen with big "Add to collection" "Want to buy" "Want to play" "Played" buttons. Every time you scan a barcode it does the selected thing.

Just scanning the box to record a play would be even easier and more accurate than the app makes it already, and the other options would be great when wandering around expos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't hold your breath....

Add UPC identified identifier to database
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2007 4:51 pm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is no way to do that yet. I really hoped there was by now as we are planning to put our game club's collection to bgg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.