-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be incredibly useful to have a "Family" option along with the already implemented "Category", "Mechanic", and "Subdomain" filters.

Was really wanting to do a highly refined and filtered search of all games in the Steampunk but have no way of doing so at the moment. Ironically, in making this post though it's an available option in the "Insert Geek Link" pull down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Also suggested here, and planned for the re-design:

Including "Family" in the Adv. Search?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks col! Hoping that since the re-design has now been pushed back indefinitely that a small feature like this may get implemented before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry for the bump.

It seems to me, there's some overlap in the family and category entries.

Can someone explain the difference and ,well, what's going on?

If the idea is for 'family' to identify related games, perhaps 'series' or something would make more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
sorry for the bump.

It seems to me, there's some overlap in the family and category entries.

Can someone explain the difference and ,well, what's going on?

If the idea is for 'family' to identify related games, perhaps 'series' or something would make more sense.

"Family" was "series" before, but not all games in the Catan family are really… well a series. So that was the difference THEN: Categories were categories and families were games connected with the same franchise.

Then somewhere along the line some admin figured that there was a lot of categories / genres / whatever random aspect missing in the "categories / mechanisms" and decided to create a bunch of "families" for those things, including completely random things like "contains dragons" or "has 'anime' art". (Case in point: Where's the "has Archie-like art" and "has fantasy-style art" and "has disney-like art" and and and and………)

So the difference between categories and families NOW is: When was the category thought up? If long ago, it's a category. If recently, it's a family.

I think you can guess from the tone of voice in this post what I think about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, that is helpful. I am very new here and found the labels confusingly similar and not much in the wiki or FAQ about the issue.

I appreciate the reply.

Carl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
OK, that is helpful. I am very new here and found the labels confusingly similar and not much in the wiki or FAQ about the issue.

The ARE confusing, that's the point.

Personally, I think he best idea would be to skip "categorizing categorization methods", meaning, stop calling it "categories", and "families" and "mechanisms" and "themes", just combine them all into a shitload of "aspects".

Then each user could actually click on the aspects they think fit the best, and it could be shown in some sort of word-cloud, where the more votes, the bigger font.

The problem there would be that the number of aspects would be so large that it would be hard to find if you wanted to see if there, for example, was an aspect called "fantasy battle" or whatever. So when entering the aspects, I think a categorization is needed, but when displaying them on the game page, I think they are just getting in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, I've seen games that have the phrase "needs a better description" in Family ?

many games do not have a 'family'. If they need further work on their entry, well, why make that desire a family?

crazy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess "family" was turned into some catch-them-all function for bunching games together. Few of the "families" make any sense to be called "families".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still really like to have this now, redesign or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.