Subject: Jester / Clown question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It specifies in the English rules that if two people play the same card, that round goes "on hold" and the winner of the next round gets 2 victories. It doesn't actually say anything about the Jester/Clown about this, nor in the description of the card, but I suspect it to be true.

If anyone could clarify that would be great. Thanks to Simon for rules

TIA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
"Offence often occurs when people mistake the subject of a joke with the actual target. They're not always the same."
badge
"Is there any subject you shouldn't joke about?" is no less ridiculous a question than "Is there any subject you shouldn't talk about?"
mbmbmbmbmb
The 0-Strength Jester/Clown puts the round it is played in "on hold"; this power will only be ignored if the other player played the (5) Wizard.
In the case of a draw, the round is placed "on hold"; the victor of the next round wins the prior round "on hold". (It may happen that multiple rounds in a row end up on hold and are then won at once.)
English Rulesheet posted by Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if a round is put 'On Hold', either due to the Jester or due to a tie, does the +2 bonus from the General also carry over?

Example:

Round 1
Blue plays the General, Red plays the Assassin and wins.

Round 2
Blue plays the Princess (with a +2 bonus), Red plays the Jester.

The round is on hold. The next round is worth 2 wins.

Does Blue get the +2 bonus from the General on the next round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
So if a round is put 'On Hold', either due to the Jester or due to a tie, does the +2 bonus from the General also carry over?

I see no reason to assume so. The next round after the round "on hold" is still a new round, and the General's bonus applies only in the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

I see no reason to assume so. The next round after the round "on hold" is still a new round, and the General's bonus applies only in the next round.

Well, just that the effect of the Minister DO carry over when a round is "on hold". I guess I'm just not quite sure what "on hold" means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
russ wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Well, just that the effect of the Minister DO carry over when a round is "on hold". I guess I'm just not quite sure what "on hold" means.

I think "on hold" just means that the decision "who won this round?" is not yet decided. Whoever next wins a round wins not only it, but all preceding unresolved "on hold" rounds.

The minister affects specifically only the round in which it is played (by doubling the number of points gained for winning that round). The fact that we don't yet know who won that round (because it's on hold) is a separate issue. The minister's effect isn't being carried over or applied to the following round. It's simply that the round with the minister is worth 2 points instead of 1 to you if you (eventually) win it.

Similarly the general affects the round after it's played (by adding +2 to your value). If that round after the general is on hold, I wouldn't expect the general's effect to be carried over or applied to the following round as well. It's simply that the round right after the general had +2 added to it, analogous to how the round with the minister was worth 2 points if you win it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will continue the subject: what does the "nullifies the round" exactly mean? If for example:
Round 1) Player 1 plays General, Player 2 plays Jester -> is General's ability nullified? I understand the round is put on hold but what is meant by nullifying the round?
Round 2) Player 1 plays Princess, Player 2 plays Assassin -> is round put on hold (because Princess got +2) or does the Princess win this (and scores the last) round because of Assassin's current ability?

The same question for Spy and Minister -> does Jester nullify their ability? I don't think the rules are clear on that... Magician's ability is clear to me though.

Additionally, as I read the rules it seems to me that Minister is not just worth 2 points (as I initially thought) -> it makes the whole round to be worth 2 points, right? If you win over your opponent's Minister, you also gain 2 points, if e.g. you played Assassin?

Thanks!

EDIT: Created a new thread here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.