Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was originally posted as part of an entry on my blog, Boards and Bees. This post is just the session report part of the entry, where I play through the base game and each expansion in turn.

BASE GAME
After putting two Doors and four Nightmares into Limbo while trying to get my first hand (I shuffled, honest), I was able to claim a brown Door with a key on my first draw. I got my second Door (green) by adding three green cards to my Labyrinth – this after getting rid of a Nightmare via a Prophecy. I got my first red Door with three red cards in the Labyrinth, and the second green Door with a key. Halfway to the goal, it was looking good. And then the Nightmares started. I got rid of the first one with a brown key, and the second with a green key I didn’t need anymore. I got rid of the third one by discarding my hand, and that move allowed me to claim the second red Door. I was able to get my first blue Door with three cards in the Labyrinth, and as I was working on the final brown door in the Labyrinth, I drew it with a brown key in hand. All I had left was the final blue Door…and then I was killed by a spate of four Nightmares in a row. Oh well.

THE BOOK OF STEPS LOST AND FOUND
The initial set-up for my goals was brown-blue-green-blue-red-green-red-brown. I claimed the first brown Door with three cards in the Labyrinth before having to do much of anything, but then I had a dilemma. I had three red cards in hand (including a key) and two green cards (including a key). The red door was kind of far down the line, so I started discarding red cards. I used the red key to dump the first Nightmare, and then was able to get three blue cards to claim the first blue Door. I then happened to have three green cards in my hand, and was able to get them into the Labyrinth for the first Green door. Another Nightmare soon came out, and I dumped the top five cards of the discard, disappointed that none were a Door or a Nightmare. I then was able to get three blue cards out for the second blue Door. After discarding a brown key, I was able to perform a Prophecy that helped me get the first red Door by stacking red cards on top of the deck, as well as discard a free Nightmare. My luck continued as I was able to claim the second green Door with three cards to the labyrinth, and then I drew a green key which I used for another Prophecy. This didn’t get me any red cards, but I was able to discard a Nightmare and had a brown Door in the mix as well. With no immediate prospects for red, I put the brown door near the top so I could reshuffle. I cancelled a Nightmare with 10 discards, and then drew a red key that gave me enough cards to get the red Door. However, while attempting that, I drew a brown Door. I had been saving a brown key, and was mad that I couldn’t spend it on the Door. I then drew a Nightmare, and decided to discard the top cards of the deck, which ended up being two Labyrinth cards and three Nightmares (shuffled back in with the brown Door). I drew again. Nightmare. Five cards, all Labyrinth, gone from the deck. I drew again. Nightmare. I spent ten discards to ignore it. I drew again. Nightmare. I lost.

THE TOWERS
I very quickly got three Towers on the table – blue, green, and brown. I then got a Nightmare, and discarded the brown one since I had another in my hand. I was then able to claim the first red Door with three red cards in the Labyrinth. After that, I managed to get a blue and a green Door the same way (as well as the second red Door), and had several keys in hand, so I was feeling good about my chances. I then drew a red Tower, but it wouldn’t fit in the Tower Alignment due to its symbols, so I discarded it to rearrange the top four cards of the deck. I drew another red Tower and a brown Tower, and when I discarded the brown one, I discovered a Nightmare lurking among the next cards. I put it on the bottom of the stack behind a blue key, and discarded a blue key from my hand to for the Prophecy just before drawing the Nightmare, pushing it down again. However, this time, I put the Nightmare just before a green Tower. When I drew the Nightmare, I discarded a key from my hand and the green Tower. I was then able to play the new green Tower, and that allowed me to finish the Alignment with the red I had in hand. That out of the way, I started looking for the final four Doors. And I found them. I only had one more problem with a Nightmare, which I just used to discard my worthless hand, but I got rid of others with the keys I had been saving and not using (the Labyrinth was great for helping me save keys). I also was able to use keys for Prophecies and Towers to rearrange the cards to stave off the other Nightmares, and successfully claimed all doors with cards to spare. Victory at last!

DARK PREMONITIONS AND HAPPY DREAMS
My Dark Premonitions were:
d10-1 If two red Doors are on the table, all red Chamber cards from the deck are discarded.
d10-2 If two green Doors are on the table, a Nightmare card is taken from the discard pile and placed in Limbo.
d10-3 If two Door cards of the same color are on the table, one goes into Limbo.
d10-4 If at least five Doors are on te table, two new Dark Premonitions are revealed.

I had a Happy Dream in my initial draw, which saddened me – as it’s a Dream (like a Nightmare), I couldn’t keep it and get rid of that Premonition that was going to make me reveal two more. However, I got one very soon after begining the game, and got rid of d10-4. I got my first green Door in the Labyrinth, and thought it would be nice to get the second before a Nightmare came up so I wouldn’t have any to put back in the deck. No such luck. I discarded my hand for the first Nightmare. I then got a red Door through the Labyrinth, and soon got a second (after getting nailed by a couple more Nightmares). Since that was my second, I decided to resolve d10-3 and put one back in the deck. This meant I didn’t have to resolve d10-1 yet. After another Nightmare, I got a second Happy Dream which I used to discard d10-2. A third Happy Dream came out, and I used it to reveal the top seven cards of the deck. I was able to get rid of a Nightmare with this. The fourth Happy Dream came out after I got a blue and a brown Door (and another Nightmare), and I did the same thing. I was also able to stack the deck so I got three blue cards and three green cards. I used these to claim the Doors, and I felt that it was coming down to the wire. However, as I looked through the deck for the green Door, I noticed that there were no longer enough brown cards in the deck for me to get that Door. So I called it.

EVERYTHING
If two red Doors are on the table, all red Chamber cards from the deck are discarded.

If two brown Doors are on the table, a gained Door goes in the Limbo pile.
If at least five Doors are on te table, two new Dark Premonitions are revealed.
If at least three Doors are on the table, you discard your hand, draw a new one, and reveal a new Dark Premontion.
Goals: Green-blue-brown-green-blue-red-brown-red.
Dark Premonitions:
1 If two green Doors are on the table, a Nightmare card is taken from the discard pile and placed in Limbo.
2 If two blue Doors are on the table, two key cards are discarded from the deck.
3 If two Door cards of the same color are on the table, one goes into Limbo.
4 If at least one Door of each color is on the table, all Happy Dreams from the deck are discarded.

There were no green cards in my initial draw, so I started discarding reds. I got a brown Tower, which I decided to hold on to for a bit. After getting a green card to the able, I came across a blue key which I used for a Prophecy. This allowed me to discard a Nightmare, and put a Happy Dream on top of the deck. I used the Happy Dream to get rid of 4…I didn’t want to lose the other Happy Dreams. After discarding one of my two green keys to get rid of a Nightmare, I managed to get three greens in the Labyrinth for the first green Door. I discarded another key for a Prophecy, and found a Happy Dream and a blue key. I put the blue key on top, and used the Happy Dream to get the blue door to the top of the deck, claiming it on the next turn. Another Nightmare cost me a key, but then I got a green Tower, so I put my brown and green Towers on the board. I then drew two more green Towers (I shuffled, I promise), so I discarded one to rearrange the top cards. Because of this, I was able to claim the first brown door via the Labyrinth. Two Nightmares came out then to wipe out both Towers I had in play, but I got out my spare green Tower and a red Tower. I got my second green Door through the Labyrinth, which triggered 1 and added a Nightmare to the deck from the discards. I then realized it also triggered 3, which meant that green Door was going back in. Two more Nightmares then wiped out my Towers, and with no remaining green Towers, I was out. I could have used False Destruction, but the deck was running out, and it was time to stop the bleeding.

I had a great time playing this great solo game. Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.