Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Thomas
United Kingdom
Enfield
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm organising a tournament of Blood Bowl Team Manager and wanted to get people's thoughts on what they'd consider the best format for the tournament.

Feel free to post any comments or suggestions. I'm particularly looking at:

3 or 4 players per table (this may influenced more by how many people show up). What about 2?
Team Distribution - Should each player choose a team to play through the entire tournament with (somewhat akin to a CCG)? Should every table each round have the same team selection (akin to Duplicate Bridge)?
Cups - Should each table face the same cups and events or should it be random?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say you could go either way on the duplicate teams. I might tend toward it though, because it would make matching up players easier and would be a bit more balanced and skill-testing. I wouldn't do the duplicate events/cups though, because presumably not all games are going at exactly the same pace, so a slow table could get information for the next round before they should.

As far as # of players, BGG says the game is best with 4, so maybe do as many 4p tables as you can, but for each player short of a multiple of 4, do a 3p game? I think the 2p game is quite a bit different. As for scoring the 3p vs. 4p, maybe have a baseline "extra player" that scores a certain number of points and gets factored into the scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Games should be 4-player where possible. Where not, you should have two games of 3-players rather than a game of 2-player to complete the numbers.

Teams should be randomly decided at each game. Without any deckbuilding aspects prior to the game start it isn't feasible to allow players to pick their own team. The single biggest issue you'll have if you allow players to select teams will be that you will require a base game for every player in the tournament to factor for the unikely event that all players select the same team. Should that happen and you start changing the tournament rules you are likely to ruin the credibility of your event.

Tournaments/special events should be drawn as per random rules.

If you ensure you have robust regulations in place to allow players to progress (by that, I mean that a single poor game due to unlucky draws/dice) then it will all work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.