Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, my girlfriend LOVES Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery
She's also partial to Sentinels of the Multiverse, Quarriors! and Smash Up

She wants to buy a game, maybe more, but she wants something like Spartacus and/or any of the others I've listed. I can't think of anything that would fit. If anyone can suggest anything that might fit that'd be great.

If it's in my collection though she doesn't need to buy it obviously

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason (sans nation)
Germany
Holzhausen
March
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I see a post like this I always imagine Friedmann Friese, et al, reaching for a pen and paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Winters
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo is like:

Spartacus—because of the direct conflict
Sentinels—because of cards and powers
Quarriors—because of the dice
Smash Up—because it's light, silly, and hella fun

The end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo isn't a bad suggestion. I've played it a few times and I fear it might be a little too light for her. Thanks for the idea though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know what parts of the listed games she likes? If we knew that, we could really narrow down the list of games to suggest.

For now, let's take a look at what each offers (at least, as far as I know them):
Quarriors is a highly random semi-conflict game that takes the deckbuilding idea and gives it a little twist. Fast, light, and fun to play.

Smash Up is a fast and fun game that focuses on fulfilling everyone's teenaged fantasies of teaming up Pirates and Zombies or Ninjas and Martians, and having them go at each other.

Sentinels of the Multiverse fills another, similar niche in that it lets the players play out the dream of playing superheroes fighting - sometimes desperately - against a single, powerful opponent (in most cases).

Finally, Sparticus (the game I do not have personal experience with to this point) is focused on Mano-a-Mano bloody gladiatorial combat (please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Taking all those together, I think I'll recommend Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. You have a (sometimes) mad mixup of Heroes and Villains (SotM, Smash) fighting against each other (Sparticus, though not nearly as detailed or bloody), trying to foil the Mastermind's master plan (SotM), all while working inside of a very well-designed and implemented Deckbuilding shell (Quarriors). No expansions for it until August, but there's plenty in the (admittedly, somewhat pricey) box to get you started and keep you playing for quite a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go with Conquest of Planet Earth as it has both a competitive game and a cooperative game which match many of the features that Jared lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weier
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the best part of Spartacus is the Intrigue phase; negotiating, backstabbing, etc. If she likes that part as much as I do, go for I'm the Boss!. If it's the Arena that she likes, go for a tactical combat game like Summoner Wars, Heroscape, or Dungeon Command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Summoner Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanders
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:

Taking all those together, I think I'll recommend Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game.

Bad suggestion ... the original poster is in the UK and Legendary is never, ever getting a UK release thanks to Upper Deck's shenanigans some years back over Yu-Gi-Oh! cards.

Importing something so heavy and pricey into the UK would seriously jack up the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Magius wrote:
Do you know what parts of the listed games she likes? If we knew that, we could really narrow down the list of games to suggest.

This is the exact problem I've been having. She doesn't really know... When I ask which bits she likes she pretty much just says "All of it!" Which is good but not overly helpful lol. She does like the story that drive Sentinels and Spartacus though.
Magius wrote:

Finally, Sparticus (the game I do not have personal experience with to this point) is focused on Mano-a-Mano bloody gladiatorial combat (please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I've played this a couple of times now, Although there is combat in the arena, and it's pretty good fun, dice chains are quite good! BUT The main focus is definitely on the interactions between players, the acquisition of power etc. What I found was that if you think that having the strongest gladiator is going to win you the game then you're not going to do overly well. The guy who's going to win is the one who balances money with strength. If you have lots of cash, then you can bid up, outbid or bankrupt your oponents. You can take control of the arena and exclude the guy with the strongest gladiator from the fight. Ultimately, money is power! It is a great game, not overly sure about its replayability but willing to lay it more to find out.
Magius wrote:
I think I'll recommend Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game.

I do have this, but haven't brought brought it to the table yet. Looks great, ticks all of the boxes for me, and she is keen to play it!

robbdaman - I did have Conquest of Planet Earth, it didn't really gel with me or my group, it just seemed to lack a level of fun that we were craving. I'm not sure it would work with the gf either. Good suggestion though, it does hit alot of the elements that the other games do.

Slumcat - I'm the Boss! does sound pretty interesting. I think she might like that. I will add that as the first possible. I was also thinking that she might like D-Day Dice too so if anyone has views on that then feel free to chip in.

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That actually helps out quite a bit - that tells us she likes strongly thematic games with a strong narrative and lots of player interaction. That said, you already appear to have a good chunk of games that I would recommend - but there are still a few that I've played that I think would be a hit (warning, some of these are rather expensive):

Fortune and Glory
- Strong Pulp Archaeologist theme throughout the game. While it doesn't have a ton of player interaction (and can be played as a purely Cooperative game), it is highly thematic and quite fun (especially if you like rolling dice).

Descent - Another dungeon crawl themed game (of which you have a few in your collection) with a touch more focus on combat between the Heroes and the player conrolling the Monsters.

Same thing goes for Super Dungeon Explore and its new expansions. A good choice if your a fan of a Chibi Anime art style and a lot of 16 bit game design elements. WARNING! Assembly required (mostly pretty easy to do, but there is a lot of figures to put together).

Another game I've recently gotten into (still working on painting everything up on) is DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game. Assembly required (and some skill with modifying miniatures, especially if you get the Veer-Myn team), but this is a fast paced and fun sci-fi Sports game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.