Hide
22 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Kalidor Crescent upgrade? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Crabtree
msg tools
Just finished a campaign playing X-Wing Alliance. First of all, I forgot how amazing that game was. Secondly, Ace gets awarded a Kalidor Crescent during the campaign as "the highest honor the rebel alliance can bestow upon a pilot". Has anybody done this before? Suggestions welcome of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're underpriced on points.
R2-F2 gives an extra defense die for 3 points and an action.
I think having both dice given to you instead of an action is more than twice as good as that.

Expose (Wave 2) gives you an extra attack die at the cost of a defense die an an action.

I think you might have to go to 7 points, maybe even 8 to make this balanced.

I do like the idea, I think it's a truly elite talent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Crabtree
msg tools
Yeah I was wondering if I should go up to 8 pt value as well. It would make quite a difference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be a very costly upgrade, but a very powerful one. I could see throwing it on something like the Falcon as a huge boost. Even on Wedge it would be pretty deadly.

You might want to make it a unique upgrade, else running something like Han in the Falcon and Wedge in an X-Wing each with the medal becomes really powerful.

Just imagine
Wedge - R2D2 - Kalidor Crescent
Han - Chewbacca - Kalidor Crescent
for a total of 99 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
Should this upgrade be limited to rebels only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CapeCod Gamer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
Should this upgrade be limited to rebels only?

Yes and IMO, unique. They don't hand this one out to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At six points this is severely undercosted. As others have noted, taking Expose + (Stealth Device or R2-F2) would be seven points and those are far more restrictive and less efficient ways of increasing attack and agility.

Given that, I couldn't see something like this costing any less than 10 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make it unique and 10 points, then I think it would be a cool expansion to the current choice of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Crabtree
msg tools
Do people think this would be more reasonable being used as an action? Also should you have to chose which roll you would add a die to: attack or defense? Or should it be left the way it is with a deployment cost of 9 or 10. And obviously make the card unique. I would also argue that it should be limited to use with pilots of ability 8 or higher only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't this be spelled "roll" dice?

Since the medal does not actually give its bearer power, I would suggest something like "The rebel faction cannot lose a game when a pilot with the KC is still alive".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the medal itself is to recognise skill and bravery so the medal represents a pilot of great skill, therefore a bump to stats!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Monkey Prime wrote:
But the medal itself is to recognise skill and bravery so the medal represents a pilot of great skill, therefore a bump to stats!

Or maybe just a pilot skill boost, like:

Only for pilot skill 4 or less

You pilot skill is 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Crabtree
msg tools
Yes, it should be roll. I realized this right after I posted it and was too lazy to re photoshop it. But yes, and its embarrassing. I promise I'm educated. And kinda hoping no one would notice Haha. *sighwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess being a smartass does not get me many friends :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Crabtree
msg tools
Alright after some comments, here is V.2 of the card. Once again I am looking for feedback. Thanks all for comments already, it had been very helpful.

So here is the thought process thus far. I made the deployment cost 10pts. Number 1, because the card would have a significant effect. Number 2 because this medal was supposed to be the Star Wars equivalent of the Medal of Honor and something that was incredibly rare and special. Consequently why I also made it only available to pilots with skills at 8 or above. Random schmucks wouldn't be awarded this medal. Finally, I also made it only available to rebels, maybe I will create an equivalent for the Empire.

Also after some thought, I kept the skill as adding to die rolls. Simply because, someone awarded the medal would display superior pilot skills and thus be able to shoot and maneuver more effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Crabtree
msg tools
So here is an equivalent card for the Imperial Navy as to not completely unbalance the game. As always, thoughts ideas, and suggestions welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi,

Getting inspired by your cards, I have made two alternative versions. I hope you do not mind me posting these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hinnyboy wrote:
Hi,

Getting inspired by your cards, I have made two alternative versions. I hope you do not mind me posting these.

Nice and simple. I like this approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of adding the Medal Icon. Similarly, I would love to see a C3PO crew member card, (don't know for home many points) that would allow you to add an astromech to your upgrade bar. Obviously Rebel only.

Surely you should be able to fly the Falcon with Han, Chewie, Luke, 3PO, and R2 in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hinnyboy wrote:
Hi,

This version would be particularly good for someone wanting to do a campaign mode with a custom pilot which starts as a Rookie.
Also great for Y-wings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Crabtree
msg tools
Hinnyboy wrote:
Hi,

no i really like these. This is an interesting and great idea.
Cheers Mate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, I like the amount of options this could add. Especially letting the Y-Wings get that medal upgrade which could in turn increase their use in rebel builds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.