Popular Tags: [View All]
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Built with 2 core sets and every thing up to and including HoN.

this is pretty much the same deck as the one I used to beat laketown with just a few modifications. I gave some strategy tips in the post a Sucessful solo deck for laketown so check that out too.  I'll describe some additional strategies  of this deck below

Glorfindel (spirit)

Frodo

Aragorn (lore)

Starting threat: 24

Allies: (12)

Gleowine x 3

Master of the forge x3

Arwen Undomiel x3

Gandalf (OHaUH) x3

Attachments: (29)

A Burning Brand x3

Thror’s Map x2

Fast hitch x3

Asfaloth x3

Protector of Lorien x3

Unexpected courage x2

Light of Valinor x3

Ancient Mathom x3

Song of Wisdom x3

Good Meal x3

Resoueceful x1

Events: (9)

The Galadhrim's Greeting x3

A test of will x3

Elrond's Counsel x3

total (50)

Strategy:

the only major difference between this and the laketown deck I one copy of Resourceful and 3 copies of Protector of  Lorien.  

I decided to use PoL to discard cards similar to Old Thrush in Laketown.  I've had a copy of PoL on each hero and discarded 3 cards for each hero to increase questing power by 9.  This is awesome for for siege quests too.

Resourceful was added.  The best way to get this card into play is after Aragorn reduces the threat to 24.  At that point I usually also have a good meal and galadhrim's greeting to get my threat down to 18.  Then I put resourceful into play for one resource on Aragorn.  I've considered ditching the other 2 copies of Thror's map, but that card comes in handy, not sure if I really need resourceful since it is usually later in the game, but it is kind of a neat way to get it into play.

So, this deck beat al three HoN scenarios, and I certainly had some losses.  Since there is no healing cards in the deck, that's sometimes an issue, but Frodo can take a lot of damage and turn into threat.

i suspect this deck will do well on almost all the other scenarios.  I ran it through Return to Mirkwood which i found to be pretty brutal solo, but it handled it no problem.  I'll start working thorough all the other scenarios.  Rhsgobel i assume will be a problem.  I'll keep you posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. It is always nice to see what others are putting together. A couple decks have been posted lately in this super-hero style with lots of attachments and less allies, and I need to give it a try.

What is a perfect starting hand for you with this deck? Is there a card you always mulligan for?

I see three Song of Wisdom's in your deck. How important is that attachment to its success?

Did you ever struggle with attack strength with battle ground and siege quest stages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw you post this in the Lake-town thread, I was amazed at how few allies you've got in the deck. But with HoN, you've got me completely stumped as to how you've been able to handle the quests! And since none of your allies have any attack power (except for Gandalf), I'm also curious how you managed the Battle quests. How did you even escape the Leaping Fish at Peril in Pelargir? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
When I saw you post this in the Lake-town thread, I was amazed at how few allies you've got in the deck. But with HoN, you've got me completely stumped as to how you've been able to handle the quests! And since none of your allies have any attack power (except for Gandalf), I'm also curious how you managed the Battle quests. How did you even escape the Leaping Fish at Peril in Pelargir? laugh

How I handle the leaping fish is like this.
First off, if I draw two enemies and have three in the staging area, It's probably going to be a loss. Two I can handle but three I've never won.

So, the leaping fish only gets the additional card draw if the scroll is attached to a hero. So, I allow an undefended attack risking whatever the shadow card may be. I take the damage and get rid of the scroll on the first turn. The next turn I will not have to deal with the potential of an additional enemy in the staging area. If I'm only engaged by one enemy, great, that's easy. If there are two, I have Frodo there to take the damage of one of them.

For the opening round I'll quest with Glorfindel and Aragon which is 6 battlepower. I've also experimented with no one questing too. A great opening hand would be to have both light of valinor, which i will play first round, and Gandalf. I'll make sure I have 5 resources to bring Gandalf in next round. Then I'll quest with Gandalf, Glorfindel, both of which will not exhaust for 7 battlepower, sometimes Aragorn will quest to if I'm only engaged one enemy. Then I'll start clearing out the engaged enemies. That's an Ideal start.

THe other quests are more of the same, but the seige scenarios are a little tougher. I'll try to quest with Frodo if he has some Fast Hitches, Arwen will quest and add 1 def to a quester, Gandalf and aragorn will also quest. These quests are where Protector of Lorien and card draw come in to play. SInce this is the best way to increase defense during the quest for this deck. In some cases I'll Put Protector of Lorien on GLorfindel if he has Light of valinor. Discarding three cards will give him 4 defense. If I have cards to spare I'll put another Protector on Fordo or Aragorn, or both. With two Heroes and six cards to spare and the other allies I've mentioned, I could be be siege questing for 17 points in an ideal situation, and I've done it before with three copies of PoL and three more cards, can we say 20 def.

As for battle and low attack that was mentioned in another post. It's not as bad as it looks. If Unexpected courage is on Aragorn, Light of valinor on Glorfindel, Gandalf is ready, and even Frodo with his Fast Hitches can get in on the action, then they can be attacking for 11 damage, which takes out most enemies except for the few that need 12 damage.

as for a good opening hand that varies on the scenario. I've already mentioned one good hand. Another good opening combo, is having a song of wisdom, which Glorfindel will put on Frodo, and then having two lore resources to play either Asfaloth, Burning Brand, Master of the forge, or Gleowine. I'll play the card that makes the most sense for the scenario. I like to see Ancient Mathom in the opening hand to if there are alot of locations.

The three song of wisdoms are mostly to ensure I can get one on Frodo and get him Burning Brand. Really important for the third HoN scenario. It is usually not worth given one to Glorfindel, so the other two are used to Power Pol. I will also put resourceful on Frodo after aragorn has lowered my threat and i've played Galadhrim's greeting to get it for secrecy cost. It makes the most sense on him since he can use his resources for lore and spirit cards.

Hope this helps. Give it a try. I hope it does not only work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Simpson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this, I will have to give your deck a try. HoN is killing me. I thought I had some pretty good dwarf decks, but man these quests are tough!

My decks are usually 50% allies, so this will be a different change of pace for my playstyle. I'm used to cheap chump blockers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Simpson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome deck, I finally beat the first HON quest! It took a long time, but things finally turned around when Gandalf got into play.

I did end up swapping out some cards for Ranger spikes though. These worked out well for me, trapping those zealots. Man those guys suck!

Next up... Ithilien!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJColossus wrote:
Awesome deck, I finally beat the first HON quest! It took a long time, but things finally turned around when Gandalf got into play.

I did end up swapping out some cards for Ranger spikes though. These worked out well for me, trapping those zealots. Man those guys suck!

Next up... Ithilien!

Great, I'm happy it worked out for you. Ithilien is a tricky one. Let me know how it goes. Try your best to get Ithilien Road out of the active location on the first round. Song of wisdom and Asfaloth in the opening hand will help, or Arwen. If gandalf is in the opening I'll try and get him in next round. Cealedor usually survives, so I'll be headed to the 3rd quest card. By that time protector of Lorien is on one or two heroes, Gandalf, fast hitchs on Frodo, unexpected courage on Aragorn, Light of Valinor on Glorfindel, and Arwen should give you plenty of questing willpower 13+, and all your heroes will be ready to take on any enemies that engage you when you clear the quest card.

Also, I just ran this deck through all the other scenarios through shadow and flame. Only one I had a problem with was A Journey to Rhosgobel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Simpson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithilien is rough!!

On the end of the second turn my threat went up from 24 to 44 points!!

Mumak came off the encounter deck and its shadow card allowed it to attack twice (14 attack). Plus those Southron scouts swing for 5 while Ithilien road is in play. And it seemed that all of the shadow cards increase threat. Then Blocking Wargs! Daaaaamn!

Three games and all ended pretty much the same way.

There are times when I enjoy a good difficulty and a hard-fought win, But this is just obnoxious.

Next time I'm going to mulligan until I get Asfaloth. Need to get Ithilien Road out of the way asap!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Simpson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally!! I beat Ithilien by the skin of my teeth. I had to leave a Mumak in the staging area for most of the game. But getting Asfaloth out on turn one guaranteed I had enough Battle power to get it out of play. No blocking wargs thankfully!

I did make some modifications to the deck in order to add some healing (Warden of healing) and encounter deck scrying power (Henamarth). Ranger spikes are invaluable, too!

Yay! Now on to Cair Andros...

Frodo/Aragorn (lore)/Glorfindel (spirit)

Henamarth Riversong  x2 (Lore-Ally)
Warden of Healing x3 (Lore-Ally)
Master of the Forge x3 (Lore-Ally)
Gleowine x2 (Lore-Ally)
Thror’s Map x2 (Lore-Attachment)
Ranger Spikes x3 (Lore-Attachment)
Protector of Lorien x1 (Lore-Attachment)
Fast Hitch x2 (Lore-Attachment)
Asfaloth x2 (Lore-Attachment)
A Burning Brand x2 (Lore-Attachment)
Lore of Imladris x1 (Lore-Event)

Gandalf (hobbit) x3 (Neutral-Ally)
Good Meal x1 (Neutral-Attachment)
Song of Wisdom x2 (Neutral-Attachment)

Arwen x3 (Spirit-Ally)
Unexoected Courage x3 (Spirit-Attachment)
Ancient  Mathom x3 (Spirit-Attachment)
Light of Valinor x3 (Spirit-Attachment)
Hasty Stroke x2 (Spirit-Event)
A test of will x2 (Spirit-Event)
Elrond’s council x3 (Spirit-Event)
The Galadhrim’s Greeting x2 (Spirit-Event)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! That's quite an accomplishment.

Here is another deck that does pretty well. It might be better than the other deck I posted. I got 2 out of 3 wins on each of the secnarios

Heroes: Aragorn (lore), Glorfindel (spirit), Boromir (tactics)

I think Boromir Tactics is a great choice for these scenarions.

Best scores were:  PiP: 77, II: 91, and TSoCA 93

Allies: (18)

Warden of healing x3

Arwen Undomiel X3

Vassal of the Windlord x3

Winged Guardian x3

Defender Of Rammas x3

Gandalf (OHaUH)

Attachments: (13)

Ranger Spikes x3

Healing Herbs x3

Protector of Lorien x 2

Unexpected Courange x2

Light of Valinor x3

Events: (19)

A test of Will x3

Stand and Fight x3

Elrond's Counsel x3

Feint x3

Blade Mastery x3

Radagahst's Cunning x3

Word of Command x1

Total:50

Strategy:

For PiP.  Attach scroll to Boromir. First round I don't quest with anyone.  Boromir will defend and attack multiple times this round if I'm engaged with one or more enemy.  He gets rid of the scroll from being damaged, and hopefully takes out two enemies wih Aragorn on one and Glorfindel on the other.  Three enimies would be a challenge.  Going to need some healing for Boromir at some point during this scenario

For II:  Quest with everyone to clear Ithillien Road.  Then I lay back on questing to get rid of Caledor, since I would rather quest with Def on stage 2 with gandalf, winged guardian, and/or defender of Rammas. Then just hope for the best, and pray you don't get Blocking wargs twice in the same turn.

For TSoCA:  Mulliigan for an ally that has 4 def that you can get in play  2nd round. My last game I had Gandalf and Winged Guardian in the game by the 3rd round.  It was the first time I was able to clear all 3 battleground locations.  I might have even had Defender of Rammas by round 5. Usually I'll try to clear the Banks first,  then I'll move the citidel to the active location if the Approach is still around then i'll try to clear it, but usually it's been taken out.  I'm usually able to clear the 3rd quest card on one turn.

I've only given strategy notes on the first few rounds, because there pretty crucial to these scenarios.  It's not to say things get easy after making it out of round two, but by then I'll have a pretty good idea if I'll be overrun by enemies.

Anyway, I think it's a pretty good deck.  If you try it, I hope you have some success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Pearson
Canada
Whitehorse
Yukon
flag msg tools
I played this deck through all of Darrowdwelf cycle, then just tonight played PiP - it's an awesome deck and super fun to play - solo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fkpearson wrote:
I played this deck through all of Darrowdwelf cycle, then just tonight played PiP - it's an awesome deck and super fun to play - solo!

It is a fun deck. The other deck I posted in this thread is very good for the HoN scenarios. Worth checking out if the other deck fails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting this deck. I played HON over the weekend using this deck and was able to clear the 3 scenarios and I also cleared Steward's Fear as well.

Very well put together. I did however swap out some cards to get Northern Tracker in the deck for Stewards Fear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Last Bert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Tracker1 wrote:
 I've had a copy of PoL on each hero and discarded 3 cards for each hero to increase questing power by 9.  This is awesome for for siege quests too.

Was about to pick you up on this, I never realized before that this card was non-unique. All the other Title cards I can think of are. A good card just got better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An enemy that is ranger spiked can still be optionally engaged. They just don't make engagement checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Stone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick clarification - what does "Gandalf OHaUH" stand for? In other words, which Gandalf did you use for this deck? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the Gandalf from the Hobbit over hill and under hill box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Stone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the quick reply, George (Tracker1)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.