Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game last week and I wanna give it a try tonite but some cards are still confusing to me!

For example, when you put Valar Morghulis in play, does it kill all characters from both side? It's kinda of unclear in my mind!

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
Yup, every character on the table.

It seems powerful, but keep in mind the following.

- it can only go in the lannister plot deck

- both sides can use 'save' effects to prevent death

- your opponent will probably have more gold than you for replacing characters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sobotta
United States
Thief River Falls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got burned by this as a Stark before. I lost a few Starks as I didn't have anything to save them. I lost Ned, John Snow, and Rob if I remember correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Ullmann
Germany
Alteglofsheim
flag msg tools
mbmb
With the right timing, Valar can be brutal. I am not all that happy that it was included in this version of GoT, as I disliked it in the LCG already.

A general note: Always take the card text literally. Don't think too much, just do what the card says.

Also, the words can not trump everything else. So, if you have a card that says: "Kill all characters" and other "Characters with a noble icon can not be killed", the noble characters don't die.
(This example is from the LCG)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this card quite annoying. Has anyone tried to house rule it so that it discards all characters instead of killing them? This card can really mess things up and killing of a few unique characters early on can really change things in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valar says "Kill" very much on purpose. If you want to discard characters instead, use Wildfire Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikaelh wrote:
I find this card quite annoying. Has anyone tried to house rule it so that it discards all characters instead of killing them? This card can really mess things up and killing of a few unique characters early on can really change things in the long run.

Valar exists because the game needs resets. Without them, one side can all too easily get an overwhelming board presence. A well-timed Valar can swing a game completely around--or at least bring it back to parity.

Learning when to use it to your advantage and when to expect and play around your opponents' playing it are major steps in moving from beginner to intermediate play. Holding cards back to recover from in impending Valar is a tried and true tactic, as is making sure you have saves available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuzferatu wrote:
I bought this game last week and I wanna give it a try tonite but some cards are still confusing to me!

For example, when you put Valar Morghulis in play, does it kill all characters from both side? It's kinda of unclear in my mind!

Thank you!

So I've played the original 4-player version (but don't own it) several times and we've always played where all the plot cards happen to everyone (including the person who played it)... however, I recently borrowed this version of the game from a friend and I can't find that in the rules anywhere.

Some plot cards use words like "Your"... so that means just the person who played it?

I'm wondering if the HBO version has a slightly different ruleset? Probably not and my eyes are just failing me... can anyone find in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
Valar says "Kill" very much on purpose. If you want to discard characters instead, use Wildfire Assault.

Wrong game. The HBO version does not have Wildfire Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.