Subject: Civ. game or 4X? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
My Top Games: Titans, Inis, Kemet, Adrenalin, Die Fürsten von Catan, Five Tribes, Kingdom Builder, Crokinole, Colt Express
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it called a civilization game? You are not going through a civilization. It has everything to be a 4X game. Or has a 4X game to be in space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not play as a known civ, but you build one from it's dawn, which is really good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:
Why is it called a civilization game? You are not going through a civilization. It has everything to be a 4X game. Or has a 4X game to be in space?

I've found that people are very caught up in definitions when it comes to this game.

In my only slightly humble opinion, it is a Civilization building 4X game. Seems some people have declared it not to be a "Civilization" game because it doesn't have what they have defined as a "tech tree", or because you don't appear to go through different defined "ages" of Civilization.

From the viewpoint of this long-time 4X and Civilization player, these definitions are amusingly arbitrary.

Clash of Cultures has technological progression represented by a series of defined trees. These tech trees are not as defined as in some games, though quite defined compared to others. Your choices determine the type of civilization you build.

It is most certainly a 4X game. There are 4X games that do not involve the building of a society/civilization and there are games in which you build a society/civilization which have no 4X elements. Clash of Cultures incorporates both.

4X games do not have to be set in space, though some of the earliest examples were.

I hope you find this helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
My Top Games: Titans, Inis, Kemet, Adrenalin, Die Fürsten von Catan, Five Tribes, Kingdom Builder, Crokinole, Colt Express
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx, very helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus you really feel like you see civilizations developing. At least I do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing is that all Civ games including the computer game are derived from: Civilization . Which covers the exact same period as this game. Has only one type of unit. Has a free form tech tree

This is defiantly a Civ game. In fact this closer to the original then any of its competitors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a 4X Civ game. The people who claim it's not a Civ game are not doing so on the basis of any defensible definition.

Misterboy wrote:
or because you don't appear to go through different defined "ages" of Civilization.

And that claim isn't even true. CoC does span many eras; it just doesn't make it all the way to modernity.

In terms of Civilization V mechanics, CoC goes through the Ancient, Classical, and Medieval eras and starts the Renaissance. It does not represent the Industrial or Modern periods. To hear some people talk about CoC, you would think it was strictly in the bronze age.

I tend to think that focusing on a limited range of history is better for the game. For example, with the development of internal combustion, flight, artillery, rockets, etc., the distances at which nations act radically change at the industrial era. In Civilization V this introduces absurdities such as Ancient and Classical era Archers being able to "shoot" further than Riflemen because it's necessary to make combat interesting in each era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan McGuire
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Ack!
mbmbmbmbmb
I view 4X more as a mechanic than a genre. Like how Roll Through the Ages is a Civ game with a dice mechanic, CoC is a Civ game with a 4X mechanic. Meaning, a Civ game doesn't have to be bound to a 4X game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
r0gershrubber wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
or because you don't appear to go through different defined "ages" of Civilization.

And that claim isn't even true. CoC does span many eras; it just doesn't make it all the way to modernity.

Thank you for clarifying my point. whistle The point of my post was to describe the arguments I've heard, and how they are...weird. Apparently in some people's minds you don't go through "ages" unless the game screams, "HEY YOU... you're now in a new age!". Or maybe some people think that everything before the 19th century was one "age"? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization the PC game is a 4X game....

CoC is definitely a 4x game (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate)

Both of them are "Civ" games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
youperguy wrote:
The funny thing is that all Civ games including the computer game are derived from: Civilization.

Wrong! Sid Meier has repeatedly stated that his Civilization computer game was inspired by Empire and Risk, and that he never played the Civilization boardgame until after his computer game was released. See http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/129947/the_history_of_... .

All of the 'civ' boardgames that were based upon or inspired by the computer game also were not derived from the Civilization boardgame, including Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame and Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game, and yes Clash of Cultures too. Civilization is a great game but it didn't have the influence over modern 'civ' boardgames that the computer Civilization did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Rider wrote:
youperguy wrote:
The funny thing is that all Civ games including the computer game are derived from: Civilization.

Wrong! Sid Meier has repeatedly stated that his Civilization computer game was inspired by Empire and Risk, and that he never played the Civilization boardgame until after his computer game was released. See http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/129947/the_history_of_... .

All of the 'civ' boardgames that were based upon or inspired by the computer game also were not derived from the Civilization boardgame, including Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame and Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game, and yes Clash of Cultures too. Civilization is a great game but it didn't have the influence over modern 'civ' boardgames that the computer Civilization did.

Am I to understand that Civilization, in spite of pre-dating all other "Civilizations", is NOT a civ game? Who makes up these definitions? ;)

I think this is all a very silly argument.

Edit: Added an emoticon to clarify tone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
r0gershrubber wrote:
D-Rider wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Am I to understand that Civilization, in spite of pre-dating all other "Civilizations", is NOT a civ game? Who makes up these definitions?

I think this is all a very silly argument.

Edit: Added an emoticon to clarify tone.

No, why would you come to that conclusion from what you've quoted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Rider wrote:
youperguy wrote:

I'm not sure how you can say that the original Civ boardgame didn't have a comparable influence... what criteria are you using to make this judgement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.