Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Montgomery
United States
Moraga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing with a friend on isotropic while talking on Skype. He'd been out of Dominion for a while, so we played some games and exposed him to new cards. Fool's Gold can be really good when combined with extra buys. Stables and Caravans and Universities makes for crazy drawing power. Stuff like that. You can explain all this before the game (I did) but until you play it, you don't really get the power of the Fool's Gold. Same thing is true for Crossroads. When this deal came down I went over the Crossroads card at length before we started, but until you see it in action, I think it just doesn't really sink in. Didn't for me, anyway.

2: Chapel, Crossroads, Pearl Diver, Secret Chamber
3:
4: Spice Merchant, Pirate Ship, Navigator, Envoy
5:
6: Border Village, Hoard

This game is a Pirate ship duel, with the Secret Chamber available. There's Envoy for drawing (my friend missed this somehow, despite me using it. He had too many Pirate Ships and no Envoy). There is also the Crossroads for drawing and actions, if used very carefully. Border Village is there if you can afford it. Chapel is there for trashing, as is Spice Merchant.

My friend started Chapel / Silver. I started Pirate Ship / Crossroads. He did the usual Chapel stuff, and got a Crossroads on turn 3, but then TRASHED HIS ESTATES. I picked up Spice Merchant on turn 4; I wanted deck velocity with my trashing, and I had dreams of using the extra buy. He got a Pirate Ship turn 5, which I immediately churned, so he was behind on the PS tokens 0 to 2 at that point. He picked up a Secret Chamber, and now we start bluffing. (Sometimes with multiple PS you can take the coin the first time, he plays SC again counting on you taking coin again, and you attack instead just to burn those two cards. Fun stuff; we did that back and forth a few times.)

I have two Pirate Ships, and the next time I attack he uses his SC, and I ... take the money twice, getting Border Village / Envoy. Now he's in real trouble. I've got good action/draw. Whatever he leaves me with the Envoy is helpful, even if it is green. I'm trashing a Copper every turn, so his odds of hitting coin are getting really small, while I can draw a big hand and toss cards for coin with SC. I also got very lucky hitting his Silvers which was kind of too bad; I didn't need the luck. Hate to waste it! I bought a Hoard to give him some to shoot at, he did eventually hit a Gold of mine. I hoped to get a double Province buy using the Spice Merchant to trash a Gold (my two PS were worth 6) but it never came together.

After the game he marveled at the drawing power of Crossroads as my deck greened.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/25/game-2013012...

I'm not sure there's a way to teach the game better than I do. He's a smart guy, beats me a lot at games, but I play so much more Dominion. Ah well, it was fun, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I like the look of Pirate Ship here. In your opponent's position, his best bet would probably have been to grab BV, SC and Envoy, then use Crossroads+Envoy to draw big hands, and SC to turn it into money. With his coppers all trashed, your Pirate Ships would become essentially dead weight, and his deck would get Provinces pretty quickly.

Still, it's interesting to see how you did play it. Pirate Ship so rarely works, especially in 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.