Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know of any UK-based games shops having a January clearout? I know it's not a common thing in our hobby, but I thought I'd check since none of my usual retailers are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dawson
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, move along
badge
Need to put something witty here
mbmbmbmbmb
Infinity Games UK sent me an email the other day to say they have a sale on. There may not be much of interest in there to you, but you may like a look just in case.

http://www.iguk.co.uk/overstocks.aspx

Sale ends 14th Jan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Peasemold
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
Peasemoldia
flag msg tools
mb
"...not a common thing ..." ,

It's about as common as rocking horse s**t! I went shopping today (as did just about everyone else in the country, or so it seemed) and there was not one thing I wanted that was on sale. Just the usual suspects; end of line/obsolete electrical items, Christmas overstocks and the 'special purchase' items not seen at any other time of the year. You may gather from this that I am somewhat cynical about 'sales', especially given that the major electrical retailers always have a 'sale' on, whatever the time of year.

Getting back to games, some of the online retailers have permanent 'clearance' pages, which is the nearest you will get to a sale. IGUK has already been mentioned but spiritgames.co.uk also have a permanent sale page, as do leisuregames.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Fletcher
United Kingdom
Heathfield
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
how about trying to get something through the german games shops?

It feels like a sale price everytime i buy.

Just thinking about caylus and powergrid

try www.playme.de

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sykes
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Leisure Games sale is definitely worth looking at. I got King's Gate, Atlanteon and Magdar all for £7.50 each (half price), as well as some expansions for A War to End All Wars (the WW1 Axis and Allies variant) for £3.00 each. Delivery was super-quick too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Rob... I do my shopping with http://www.adamspielt.de/ and the saving I make on a single game pays for the shipping on the whole lot.

I'd say that games are usually 30%-50% cheaper than in the UK. The games normally arrive about 3-4 days after ordering and the customer service is excellent.

It took me a long time to pluck up the courage and order games from Germany, but I've been putting an order every 3-4 months for the last three years and can highly recommend it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and by strange coincidence I just walked into town and the discount book shop "The Works" in Derby is selling the Dungeons and Dragons Boardgame for £12.99 (RRP £25) and the Forbidden Forest expansion at £4.99 (RRP £15). Not a *great* game, but a reasonable dungeon crawl and possibly worth it for the miniatures alone if you're into that sort of thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sykes
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob/Tom,

Do these German sites carry the Englisg language versions of the games, or is everything in German?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrouHaHa wrote:
Rob/Tom,

Do these German sites carry the Englisg language versions of the games, or is everything in German?

I'm not Rob or Tom but it depends -

Some games have English rules in the German box. Other games have no or very few language specific components and can be played with the rules and play aids from the geek. Finally playme has some English language versions as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Games Shop (Esdevium) in Aldershot had quite a lot of games at low prices as of two weeks ago, although the vast majority of the stock was priced normally. There were some nice bargains there: I picked up Laguna (with German rules) for £5, and Cosmic Encounter (with a damaged box) for £15, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mills
Guernsey
Vale
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just in case it helps any of you chaps we stock some German language independent games as well and whilst we don't yet have a sales page I think we are quite decent on prices. Trying hard not to be shameless!

Have a peek here for a browse: www.land-of-games.co.uk

PS I have used Adam Spielt, Playme.de and Spiele-Offensive in the past and found them all to be good.

Alan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit Games, my FLG, does always have a small section of Special Offers. Their Website usually has most of them on it. When I was there 2 weeks ago 3 or 4 Queen games were there (mostly German editions) and Hare and Tortoise, plus some wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think Shire Games has a sale, but they do free shipping on orders over £40...

I also saw the D&D sale. Got a bone to pick with it actually- my game group picked it up and spent the whole *** afternoon playing the stupid thing! Grrr...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.